Reefmack's RSM 130

Dutchbros

Terry, I felt your anxiety last night as I was sweating the possibility of freezing rain and a potential power outage. I am in Matthews and I am considering investing in a small generator for just these situations. Do you have any backup solutions in case of a power outage?
Erik

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Erik - a generator would be best, but I haven't got one yet. I am set up for hopefully 6-8 hours of backup on a heater (more time if I get the wood stove cranked up) and up to 72 hours with the battery backup for my Vortech MP20. See post # 902:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/42209-reefmacks-rsm-130-a-61.html

The heat is my limiting factor without a generator, but other than a situation like Hurricane Hugo my outages are usually 12 hours at the most. I think I can survive that. I decided to go this route after a 12 hour outage a while back had me lose my Flame Angel when the tank got down to 70 F.

If I can keep the tank warm for 6-8 hours, it cools down fairly slowly, so I could throw wood in the wood stove and hopefully prevent a disaster.

Nowellsy SNR

Terry - Nice Pic. I wonder if you got the feeling that you need to go running in the streets whit nothing but your tiger thong.. LOL

Now the serious part. I am glad that everything is ok for you in that kind of weather.
Have a good weekend.
Ha Ha made me chuckle that

Terry we woke up to snow this morning to did'nt see it coming they did'nt forcast it

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Dutchbros - this is my heater backup. A 600 watt Duracell Powerpack. I hope to get 6-8 hours of heater time on it (haven't tested that yet).

Duracell.jpg

Duracell Powerpack 600 | Backup Power Source | Duracell Power

Dutchbros

Terry, I was shopping those battery packs on the web before the storm came and was wondering if it would be worth a shot. I think that I might need to get one for the time being. Then maybe this summer try and find a used generator on craigslist to prepare for next winter.
My rsm130 is still in the early stages, I have some rock, a true perc, and lawnmower blenny (to help with my algae). It is going on 2 months old and hope to start adding some frags from my 54 once I get the algae under control and the params are a little more stable.
Your tank continues to amaze me, I just hope I can get my 54 to look half as good as yours.
Thanks for you input and advice.
Erik

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Erik - for a short outage I'm hoping it helps me through it. Good idea on checking Craigslist for a good used one. I should look into that myself later this year. It's difficult to stop spending money on this crazy hobby! I originally saw the Duracell on QVC, and got a better deal on Amazon that was lower price and free shipping.

You should start a thread on your 130, and update it as things happen, or to get opinions on things. It's a great group in the RSM section and the fellow RSM owners all try to help rather than criticize. Best place on the internet for RSM owners! All tanks are amazing!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'd been looking at this every day for almost a week, at Pacific East Aquaculture. It's one that was reduced by a bit over 40%, and a coral that I had been looking for at a decent price for quite a while. Today I lost my mind, broke down and ordered it - should arrive next Tuesday unless weather holds up PEA from shipping it out Monday:

RedCynarina.jpg

A nice red & white Cynarina, 3 inches across. Now I just have to make room for it!

Dweezil

Nice choice Terry! I always love those when I see them as well. Can't wait to see it in your tank......I'm so afraid to order in Winter..ugg We're supposed to get a snow storm tomorrow night and my son is coming home for a visit from college...will worry sick til he's here. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Ooooh, That is very nice Terry. I wish I had more room on my sand bed.

Hah - I wish I did too! I'm going to have to make a spot for it. I took my red tree sponge out about a week ago - all of a sudden it started getting white patches on it , and I didn't want it dying and polluting the tank. But I still need to shift some thing around.

Kyle - I think they're also called button corals & meat corals.

Thanks all. I'm also not keen on ordering in winter. and hope for no delays - heat packs don't last more than a day usually. I told Pacific East to hold up the order if the weather looked bad. Chance of freezing rain here again - Charlotte is on the borderline again to get rain or freezing rain.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tammy - I hope & pray your son has no problems! Being retired I just stay put now, but I worry about my son driving to & from work in bad weather.