Reefmack's RSM 130

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks again folks!

Just spent a couple hours on tank maintenance...

Put a clean filter sock in the cabinet sump - washed the dirty one

Replaced the 3 month old Chemi-Pure Elite in the reactor in the sump

Soaked the Tunze ATO optical sensor in vinegar to remove Ca buildup. The sensor had been acting up lately (not "seeing" the water level at all times). After an hour soak in vinegar the sensor is clean, and the ATO is working like new again.

Replaced my 17 month old metal halide - trying a 14k AquaMaxx this time, but won't see the result of a new bulb till the mh switches on later. Washed the glass cover under the mh lamp, and rinsed the T5 lenses.

Pulled out the 2+ year old Stealth heater that quit working and inserted the new Stealth in the heater chamber (the new one had been hanging in the old skimmer chamber).

While I had the Orbit hood off I did some cleanup of the LifeReef siphon and back of the RSM. With a raised hood I get some algae growth back there.

Replaced my older version Euro-Reef (now Reef Dynamics) sump skimmer with the new version that goma (Greg) recently got from Robbert & Todd. I had the 2 pumps already so Robbert just made me the new skimmer body. Here's the startup:

NewSumpERSkimmer.jpg

This beast is sooooooooo easy to control versus the previous version. Just a little twist of the air adjustment tube (on the right) controls the foam level. Major improvement in ease of adjustment!

redsea reefer

Hi Terry,

I see the Via Aqua Reactor stayed in the Ooops box huh...Thats where mine is staying, unless I sell it.

Did you put the Purigen in the Filter sock?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Eddie, Actually the Via Aqua is still all assembled - back in the box later LOL! I may still use it, but the Simplicity reactor is a lot easier to clean & refill. No Purigen yet - not sure I'll need it with the resins in the CP-Elite. If I ever do try the Via-Aqua then I'll run the Purigen in the sock for sure.

redsea reefer

Sounds good Terry.

I been having some doubts about the Purigen myself. In three months time Its almost as white as the day I put it in. I am thinking of using either Phosguard or RowaPhos on the second shelf instead of Purigen. Also I think by hanging the CP-E, the water is going around it rather than through it and not doing its job. The last CP-E change I did was not hung on the rack but just sitting there and I dont remember having this much HA while training the male mandarin, the only different thing I did was hang the CP-E.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I always felt the same way about hanging the CPE. Water will take the path of least resistance, which means that by hanging it you don't get the full benefit of using it. My purigen used to get a little pinkish brown, but only on the outside particles. SeaChem PhosGuard is good stuff - the flow goes through it easy.

redsea reefer

Yup, I have 2 CP-E and 2 Purigens to go through. One set will be used this Saturday when I replace them both and siphon the rear chamber. This time I will not hang the CP-E and remove the Purigen from the bag it comes with and put it in the old CP-E bag cause the Purigen bag seems to keep it too confined. Then I will get SeaChem Matrix carbon for the bottom rack and Phosguard on the second and see how it works.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Timmy - I wish I'd never added the cap! It's grown too big, sucks up Ca, and it needs trimming again.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Anthony - I found an old picture - shortly after I added it in May, 2008. This was June and the cut edges had already put new growth on them. It was barely over an inch square (2.5cm) at that time:

MontiCap6_8_08.jpg

The bigger it gets the faster it expands now, since most growth occurs on the edges.

tnwillia

Terry, do you have any pictures of your ER Sump skimmer as it is now setting on the table before it went in? Wondering what it looks like with all the new changes.