Reef fanatic ballast

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The last couple of days my 14k bulb shifted considerably to a more yellowish color. I switched the bulbs to the XM10k and the Coralvue 12k and the same thing. Not only has the spectrum shifted considerably the bulb is being way overdriven, really very bright and the ballast is running very hot !
I contacted reeffanatic and they tell me "I need a new one" :mad: No let's take a look at it or try to fix it this thing is only a couple of years old I think they should a little longer, no ? Sorry for the rant but I'm pissed ! I just ordered a new Icecap and will never buy any reeffanatic products again !

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
This is what the tank looked like.

160_6045.JPG

This is what it looks like now:evileye:

Attachments

• 161_6117.JPG
    161_6117.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 65

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
What a huge change! I'm sure that's not good for the corals either. Good choice getting the icecap :thumbup: I'll be using all icecaps in just a few days :dance:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What a huge change! I'm sure that's not good for the corals either.

Neither do I, although non of them have showed a negative reaction yet. I ordered the Icecap from premiumaquatics and hopefully by the end of the week it'll be here !

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I just checked their website and this is what they say about MH ballasts:

Products > Metal Halide Ballast

Reef Fanatic halide ballast have been discontinued. We are currently distributing Coralvue & Icecap electronic ballasts.

That's probably why they blew you off so quick.

That sucks...:down:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well I received my Icecap ballast late yesterday and so far I'm a bit disappointed. The wires from the ballast are way too short and it's nowhere near as bright as before. Maybe because the bulb was being overdriven it was damaged, I will switch bulbs late today and see if there's any difference.

Warnberg

Cheeks, I noticed the other day one of my XM10k's color shifted on me as well, just to make sure it wasn't the ballast I swapped bulbs around, sure enough it was the bulb.... thank goodness I have so 12K reeflux bulbs coming.
I been trying to figure out what causes a bulb to shift colors like that.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Cheeks, I noticed the other day one of my XM10k's color shifted on me as well, just to make sure it wasn't the ballast I swapped bulbs around, sure enough it was the bulb.... thank goodness I have so 12K reeflux bulbs coming.
I been trying to figure out what causes a bulb to shift colors like that.

With the reeffanatic ballast I tried a 12k coralvue an XM 10k and a aquaconnect 14k and they were all the same color and they were noticeably being overdriven. I will switch later the xm 10k back to my aquaconnect 14k's and see if there's any difference.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I also notice that my Icecap ballast they sent was 220 volt wonder why they would send this one and if makes any difference !

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Woh,.. Sorry to hear about your trouble,.. I've got a Mag ballast laying around in case one of my ARO's goes out.

I used to have 2 spare PC ballasts, but now that I've popped 2 ballasts on my 180 I'm out of spares. :(

I do own a Reef Finatic PH controller, and it's the best conroller I've ever used,.. I was hoping more of their equiptment was like this thing.

Great looking tank!
Whiskey

Warnberg

They sent a 220 volt ballast? Who are you dealing with? Yes the 220 volt ballast will need a 220 volt circuit.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Great looking tank!

Thanx Whiskey.

Yes the outside of the ballast says 250w/220V. I bought it from PA and my experience with them has always been the best. I'll have to shoot Jeremy a message.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well they're going to ship me another ballast, is it ok for me to leave the 220V hooked up until it arrives or will it be a fire hazard ?