RED SEA pimped to the MAX 130D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've always had good luck with "Pods" when I created "Pod Housing". I think we called it a Pod Hotel. Try searching the forum for that. I had a couple in my 90g tank and they worked GREAT! I had pods growing pods LOL!

JK1

Hi, been a while so it's time for an update.

My sump is now full of Chaeto and Mangrove pods. I was going to add more rubble but AL kindly advised against it. There are a couple of pieces in there just to keep them alive until they head to the display tank and are likely to be covered in zoas just like I have started here. This is a new candy apple red which I hope will grow rapidly and help to fund this expensive addiction!

Xiao Long checking out the candy apple

Checking out the gorg

The nem

FTS

[youtube]Zo-0kzySbPA[/youtube]

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great picture update on your tank.

I like the "stamp" you use to update the pictures. I've never had any luck with Chili Coral. I think many of our tanks are just "too clean" for them long-term.

JK1

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm looking forward to watching them all grow and fill out now. My shopping list is finally getting smaller. I'm trying to find a god of war Zoa but they are proving difficult to track down here in the UK, also want a lime berry Hystrix, a tri colour Acro, I have a couple more zoas on the way (blue steels and tear jerkers), I want a clam and should also be getting a nice scolly soon too, another acan and some pipe organs and clove polyps to fill the gaps. Ok so still quite a few on my list but its getting there.

I'm very please with my sump, especially as its my first one and I designed it (with some great advice from Al and Thad thanks). The fuge is now full of pods and other micro life which is essential now I have 2 mandarins. Just the skimmer I'm not happy with, doesn't do a great deal of skimming. Upgrade coming soon!

My chilli was doing very well but needed a lot of feeding. It didn't respond well to the large piece of live rock I dropped on it! Funny that eh. I may try another at some point soon but the amount of feeding it needs can be a pain.

Thanks again guys.

JK1

Hi folks, been ages since my last update sorry. All is well and filling out nicely. I don't have much more stock to add now, almost full. I'll be collecting a few more rare zoas and I'm on the look out for a rainbow trachyphyllia.

I have upgraded my skimmer to the Tunze 9004 which is doing a much better job than the Hydor. Anyway, I'llet the pictures do the talking. Thanks for reading.

Fish

CUC

Other

SPS

JK1

Right, thought I'd update with some growth shots. I'm pretty pleased with how things are growing. With my KH being very high at 12 DKH I am seeing very dense accelerated growth. Once I'm happy with how everything has filled out I will gradually lower my KH to about 7 to further improve the colour. To be honest though, I'm pretty happy with how things are colouring at the moment. Will be interested to see how much the colour changes when I do lower it but this will be some time away yet.

This is my Montipora Capitata after 4 months. I have snapped two of the tips off during separate cleaning accidents. I have since purchase a scraper but I'm actually pleased as I re-mounted the accidental frags so it is basing out well.

This is after 6 months. The colour is now much richer than it was about 4-5 months back. It went very brown under my T5s but now looks much healthier than it did in the original and has most of the original pinkness back. It's hard to compare it to the original pic as the polys aren't really out as I'd only just put it in.

This is from January to May (4 1/2 months)

tangers

Hey JK1 I love what you've done! Any tips for good places to buy coral in the UK? PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Thanks

What are you keeping all your levels at, you said youre keeping your alkalinity high. I'm guessing youre matching the calcium and magnesium as well?

JK1

Thanks Tangers, PM sent.

Hi sensei,

Yes, I use Red Sea Coral pro so all levels are quite high. I have to keep my nitrate up too as it can be risky running hi alk in a low nutrient system. My full params are as follows;

PH = 8.2
KH/Alkalinity = 12
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate = 10
Calc = 450
Phosphate = 0
Mag = 1350
Potassium = 400
Iodide = 0.02
Iodate = 0.02
Iodine = 0.02
Copper = 0
Oxygen = 8
Silicate = 0

You ran your Alkalinity at 12 since the beginning, thats a quite long time to do so! I would be nervous! Is that what sparks having the growth so fast?