RED SEA pimped to the MAX 130D

JK1

Hello,

I'll aim to keep this original post as up to date as possible. Thanks for reading.

Current full tank shot

Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015 circulation pump
TMC V2 auto top off
Copepod tank

Future upgrades

2x aqua beam 600s - reef white
1 x aqua beam 600s - Fiji blue
8 way aqua beam multi controller
Sump
MP10
Doser
3x silent PC fans
Skimmer (not yet decided which one)

Fish

CUC

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coral Profiles

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Great start, love the clowns !

JK1

Thanks Saltfan. I can do but I'm just using the stock T5s at the moment. I'm upgrading in a week or so and will post a step by step instal guide with lots of pics.

JK1

Thanks Guys.

Had the acros almost a month I reckon. So far so good but they will be happier once I upgrade my lights.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
AMAZING looking tank! You did a great job documenting all of your livestock with details. Very nicely done!!

:thumber:

JK1

Thanks Al, as you can tell it has gone from being a hobby to an obsession! I have a long way to go yet. I'm focusing on all of my equipment now but will hopefully resume with the corals in a couple of months.

dubghod

Obsession may be too mild a term for this :D Spend my days at work reading about it, my evenings enjoying it, my pay cheques upgrading it. Rose even had a dream last night that she got paralysed by Zoa toxins because I was acclimatising some Zoas until late :p

Made any more progress on the sump design?

NanoN8

How long have you had your mandrain? Very interested in getting one. What are you feeding it? Yours looks beautiful!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
JK1 what Ap/Program are you using to document and detail your livestock? It looks very nice and clean.

mandarinc.jpg

JK1

If there were such a thing as marine rehab, we would definitely be admitted!

Thank you. The Mandarins are fantastic to watch. They are unlike any other fish. I have had mine for about a month and he seems very happy. I introduced loads of Copepods to the tank shortly after setting up so they could settle and multiply without predators. I have a pile of live rock rubble for them to hide and breed in known as a pod bar. I also have a small tank set up especially for breeding Copepods and Rotifers.

Ideally, when buying a mandarin, you should ask to see it being fed frozen food to see if it will eat it. They are very slow eaters and will be out competed by all other fish at feeding time. They are very high maintenance to keep fed but well worth the effort in my opinion.

Thanks Al, I used photoshop to draw them.

JK1

Hi, bit of in update. Quite a lot has changed since my last post. I have now added an MP10. My upgrade list has changed loads (mostly thanks to members on here). We don't have nearly as many options available to us in the UK, I am having to import things from the US & Canada but it looks like it will all be worth it. This is my updated mod list

Installed

Vortech MP10
TMC V2 ATO
Copepod culture tank

Purchased (awaiting installation or delivery)

Modular LED conversion
Profilux expansion card
Aqua Medic 4 chanel doser
Phos reactor
Hydor Slim Skim Nano 135 Internal Protein Skimmer
Eheim Compact+ 3000 Pump
2nd heater

Still to purchase

Profilux Controller
Lifereef overflow
Glass to build sump
Dosing containers

Getting there, it's going to be a busy month getting everything set up. Exciting times!

New corals

Candy Canes

From left to right - Montipori Capitata, Green Acropora and Green Montipora Digitata

Xiao Long the Mandarin and The Duncan. My hermits keep upsetting the Duncan, may not be the best place for it.

From left to right - Seriatopora, another Montipora Digitata (I think) and Pink Hystrix.

Montipora Hirsuta

And the money shot

More profiles :)

Candy Canes

Duncan

Montipora Capitata

Montipora Digitata

Montipora Hirsuta

Seriatopora

Thanks for reading.

JK1

Hi, This is my latest sump design. Please can anyone give feedback on this as I've not built one before? Thanks.

Ok, so it starts with a Lifereef overflow and enters the sump at the back left into a filter sock. It drops out of there and into a 2nd chamber for carbon. This is so I don't have to remove the stock pumps each time I want to change the carbon bag. Then it enters chamber 3 where the skimmer is housed and then through a bubble trap. I then enters the main chamber / fuge which will contain live rock, live rock rubble, chaeto and copepods. The flow rate through here should be pretty quick as my return pump is 3000 ltr/hr. The water then enters into the return chamber through a 2nd bubble trap. This chamber houses a 2nd heater, ATO and return pump with ball valve.

My doser will feed into the main chamber and the only other thing going into the cupboard will be LEDs so I have enough room above to carry out maintenance. Everything else like my RO res, Profilux controller, test kits, salt, food etc will be in a neighbouring cupboard. I was going to house my Phos reactor in here but it can be hung at the back of the display so it can live there to avoid taking up my sump space.

I've tried to keep is as simple as possible whilst maximising the space in the main fuge chamber.

All comments, criticisms, suggestions and questions welcome. Thanks.

JK1

Thanks Glenn. I can't wait to get my lights and sump in. Still need to get my head around balling.

Will read the sump thread, thanks for that.

Do you know if it is possible to edit my previous posts, I was hoping to keep my first post updated but can't find a way to do it. Thanks.