RED SEA pimped to the MAX 130D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do you know if it is possible to edit my previous posts, I was hoping to keep my first post updated but can't find a way to do it. Thanks.

No the forum software won't let you, after a reply has been made or some number of hours... makes since in a forum... say I ask something like can I keep clownfish, clown goby and triggerfish together & you reply... No they are not compatible... then latter edit your post to say... can I keep clownfish, clown goby together

hope that makes since...

JK1

Lots of excitement going on of late.

I have a new Acan which changes colour throughout the day. Really a a stunning little thing.

I have also made a bold move and added a stunning red bubble tipped Anemone. Named in tribute to one of my favorite Hip Hop bands. Public Anemone :D

It is constantly on the move and causing mischief! It's latest stunt was to pass through my weir comb!

Amazingly, after passing through to the back chamber I put it back in the display tank and it looked back to its usual self after about 10/15 minutes.

This picture brings me on to my next bit of excitement.

I no longer have T5's. My Modular LEDs are installed and are being powered by a Profilux. The install process was a bit of a headache but I got there in the end and it was totally worth the stress. The colour looks amazing and it's great having so much control over the lights. I'm very please with the results.

This isn't a great pic sorry, everything is still asleep after the lights had been off for over 24 hours. I'll get some better pics up shortly.

I have been building myself a DIY overflow. I'm just waiting for a stopcock so I can finish it.

I have designed my own sump and should be picking that up on Saturday. I also have glass dosing containers being made. I'm hoping that I'll have my sump installed and doser up and running by the end of the week.

JK1

Just like to say a big thanks to BigAl & Overlook reef for all of their help and advice over the past few days with my LED & Proilux installation. I'm really grateful and would have been losing the will. Thanks

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Everything looks GREAT! You did a LOT of work in a short period of time. Funny thing is we'll probably be saying the same thing this time next week LOL!

One note to consider... those LED are VERY intense.... keep em down and ramp them up slowly. I started at 20% and went up by ~5%/week and maxed out around 90% but I'm back down into the low 80's across the board now. My RBTA love the LED and look great. They tend to go through "Growth Spurts" where they each split and split about every 3/4 months.

JK1

Thanks again Al, yeah, hopefully it will be another very productive week. I'm looking forward to the addition of the sump.

Yep, I have my lights on 20% thanks. I was hoping to have the blues on 1% as night lighting but they actually look too strong even at 1%.

I'm hoping the RBTA will split soon as it's quite a monster already. It's on a strict diet to prevent it from taking over. Has yours settled? Mine just wont stay still. I would love it to live on the ground. I'm going to get some small flat pieces of live rock to see if I can encourage it to live on them on the sand bed. Won't hold my breath though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes even 1% is still too bright for "Moon" lights. Check into those GHL Semi units I told you about. They do an amazing job in handling the moonlight, sunrise (Red LED), sunset and of course LIGHTNING! Well worth the effort IMHO. Actually to be honest the SimuL is what got be turned on to the GHL ProfiLux to begin with. I read (her on RS) about a girl who had a new GHL ProfiLux and was talking about her Lightning, Sunrise, Sunset, and geographically correct moon phase and I decided that was for Allen :)

Mine have all remained fairly compact anemone. This particular strain of RBTA stay small to medium and split like crazy. Also they aren't overly "mobile" and don't move much at all once they get settled. That goes for all NINE of them in my tank LOL.

JK1

Sounds like is SimuL is also for John :) I'll have a look for one once my current projects are finished.

I could do with my RBTA being more like yours too. Mine is huge and travels more than the littlest hobo! Not to mention the profit to be made. RBTA cost $100 here!

JK1

I now definitely need a new camera. The tank looks so much better but my iPhone doesn't like the blue light. It just becomes washed out blue. I'll get saving for a Nikon!

salty23

jk1 nice tank and updates! Love the acans and new sps! Whats the name of those colorful acans?
Also where do you get those pictures of corals with all the information below? Thxs!

JK1

jk1 nice tank and updates! Love the acans and new sps! Whats the name of those colorful acans?
Also where do you get those pictures of corals with all the information below? Thxs!

Thank you. The store I got the Acans from didn't know the exact name sorry but it's a form of rainbow. The profile cards I did myself using photoshop.

JK1

Just got my first pics of my custom sump & dosing containers. Can't wait to get it all up and running.

Sump_1.jpg

Sump_2.jpg

Sump_3.jpg

Sump_4.jpg

Sump_5.jpg

Sump_6.jpg

JK1

Very Very happy! My Sump is now up and running and the only noise I hear is a light trickle. I built the overflow myself and it cost under £50. I also design the sump and dosing containers, they fit perfectly without a millimeter to spare. I just have a couple more bits to tidy up and I will start dosing this evening. I will be using Fauna Marine bailing.

I have a load more Live rock to go in but it is currently not live so will be cured in my old fresh water tank. I will try some Chaeto too but I'm not sure that the Arc pod light I have is strong enough. Something else to upgrade!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great looking system JK. It looks like you maximized every single MM in the cabinet there. Be sure to take detailed pictures of each individual coral before dosing and take consistent pictures weekly (or some other manageable time frame) of the same coral, from the same position and at the same light level. This way you can document growth and color enhancements from your dosing regimen.

My only concern is adding more LR to the sump area. It's going to become a major detritus trap because it's the lowest point in your system and with all the nooks & crannies from LR you might have some issues even with upstream mechanical filtration. I'm speaking from first hand experience there not just something I read online.

My last sump I ended up keeping it clean as a whistle and it was a much better performing Sump after that.

Great looking build :)

JK1

Thanks Glenn

Thanks Allen, very encouraging words and excellent advice as always. I intend to have a small power head in the sump which would hopefully prevent detritus? I wanted it to give Copepods a bit of shelter and encourage their breeding. Do you think they'd do we'll without the rock?

I love the photo diary idea. It will be hard to tell which is more beneficial though, my new lights or the dosing. I already dose my KH, calc and mag but I think the FM bailing will help a lot.

Thanks again