Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

xjaydub20x

Can you explain what F1 means? I understand that it is the offspring of two different clowns that were selectively chosen for specific traits. Are F1s then bred in hopes of more similar offspring? Is it normal practice for F1s to be taken from the same lines or different?

Jake Levi

Hi Doni

Great pics, I also love the Jawfish and the CB Butterfly, have hopes of keeping the CB and trying to breed the Jawfish,

right now I am moving, just got the filter moved over, some 30s set up and hope to have it circulating next week, and be adding the first fish in a few weeks. Meanwhile enjoying the pics here, and on this thread.

Hey woody I've been watching your thread for a while and read the whole thing! I too would like to breed my clownfish but they are still a little young (bummer). Can you post some pics of your current breeding setup and I have a few questions.

Hey woody I've been watching your thread for a while and read the whole thing! I too would like to breed my clownfish but they are still a little young (bummer). Can you post some pics of your current breeding setup and I have a few questions.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hi Doni

Great pics, I also love the Jawfish and the CB Butterfly, have hopes of keeping the CB and trying to breed the Jawfish,

right now I am moving, just got the filter moved over, some 30s set up and hope to have it circulating next week, and be adding the first fish in a few weeks. Meanwhile enjoying the pics here, and on this thread.

That is great Jake. I have a 5 minute movie I made of my bluespot jawfish but am waiting for an okay to use the music before I make it public. I too would LOVE to attempt breeding Copperband butterfly. I just don't have any room right now to build something for them.... soon though I hope. I have one large Copperband already.

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Be patient. Yours will be spawning before you know it and you'll have fry everywhere! :)
My breeding setup hasn't really changed over the last 1-2 years. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/livestock-breeding/34233-grow-out-system.html

I bought my current copperband butterfly from a local reefer on Valentine's Day back in 2007. "She" is called 'Cupid' :). She was small and getting beat up by a powder blue tang so the person was getting rid of her.

Oh so that is Cupid wow 4 years that's awsome! Pics of your growout system would be great! How large where your percs when they started breeding?

I would like to use large styro coolers and plum them with airline hosing and using a 20gal for hatching until meta. Do you think that would work or would I be cutting the corner to much?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
:hallo:
I've not had time to take pics yet - sorry.
The breeding females were large before they started breeding. The males breed while still small.
I would not recommend using styrofoam coolers. You can get inexpensive tubes from Wal-mart that are stronger.

The main prob is I do not know how or have the tools to plum an aquarium . My femal is 2-2 1/2 and the male is 1 1/2 I've heard the females must be atleast 3 inches before they breed.

Last edited:
We still like to see pictures of fry with interesting,funny,and/or awesome patterns on them! YOUR NEGLECTING US! We still care. (I keep saying we but there areonly 3 people posting.)