Post your RSM 250 Mods Here!

Nowellsy SNR

We have seen some amazing mods since the launch of the Max. Some make us cry but most make us smile at the ingenuity of reefers around the world. The stock lighting was designed specifically to meet the claims of the aquarium: For the Max 130D this means softies and lps corals and some sps in the right part of the tank. In the M250- just go nuts! We haven't found a species of sps that won't grow really well under the standard lighting. However, we raise a glass to all you modders out there and we thank you for choosing a Max to mod!
Cool glad you guys at red sea like the modders out there Im happy with my Chiller and Vortech Toms 250 allways stands out for me serious mods :eek:lsmile: I had enough off moding my car lol

We have seen some amazing mods since the launch of the Max. Some make us cry but most make us smile at the ingenuity of reefers around the world. The stock lighting was designed specifically to meet the claims of the aquarium: For the Max 130D this means softies and lps corals and some sps in the right part of the tank. In the M250- just go nuts! We haven't found a species of sps that won't grow really well under the standard lighting. However, we raise a glass to all you modders out there and we thank you for choosing a Max to mod!

Thank you Steve! When I had my stock hood on the 250, my clams died! I bought a couple more after I changed the lighting and I've never seen clams grow as fast as mine! One is now the size of my fist! I wonder why that is? I know that clams really need MH lighting in order to thrive....

Jon

reeferman

i have 3 clams,2 maximas,1 derasa,all on the sandbed.bought the maximas very small,1 1/2". in 8+ months they have doubled in size,one even more than that.very little supplemental feeding.they seem to really thrive in my stock rsm 250.im sure they would grow faster under mh but you can definitely keep them in the rsm 250.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
gareeferman - Thanks for the post ! Clams thriving on the sand bed, with the stock lights is great !!!
143.gif

reeferman

theres some pics on here somewhere showing them.i was very pleasantly suprised they liked it so well.sorry to get so off topic,just had to comment

pon

Hey everyone, im new to this whole thing. I have been lurking for like 2 months, trying to figure out if i wanna make this plunge. First i started with wanting to go small with an aquapod 24, i went to my lfs and he had look up the rsm130 and i wanted that then. Then i said what the heck and looked up the 250 and now I WANT THAT lol. i have been reading everything i could, and like some other posters was worried if it wasn't good enough and if i should just buy a custom set up for a lil more invested. I absolutely love the look and the idea of the rsm. i hopefully will have mine by the end of the month (hopefully i can convince someone on manhattan reefs to give me a crash course, cause you can read all you want but unless you know whats going on nothing sticks). I am sure i will eventually mod it cause i mod everything i own. I read mentioned in one of the threads of a possible 250D, any truth to this?, should i wait? anyway just wanted to say hi and ill continue reading and stalkin the thread lol. hope i didnt make you all want to kill yourselves and fish with my post

-PON
Queens NY
tattoopon.com
feedthepigeons.net

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Pon

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Owners Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I think you will be very happy with your RSM. I have had a 130D, zero problems & run stock for a year now, I am looking to get a RSM 250 one day too, I don't think there is any reason to wait on a 250D, it may come out some day, but when the 130 was upgraded to the D model (deluxe) it contained a bunch of improvements... the only thing we know of that is changing on the 250, is newer pumps (sicce) and I doubt a D model will be out anytime soon, with just this change.

When you get your tank, be sure to start a tank thread & let us follow along !
All the best ! :clink:

Last edited:

chapco

Welcome Pon.
We just got our RSM250 and loving it. Even if you mod it, it is a sweet unit.

I am a modder too so its tough for my wife (the other half of Chapco) to listen to me figuring things out.
I just have to keep modding my appletv to keep myself busy, and
I started small while I am waiting to see how the life does on a stock system.. piping everything to another room instead of down into the stand. Shut offs of course and breakable lines for easy service and repair.
I have already piped over to the "pump room" for a future chiller and possibly sump/refuge etc.

Since I am converting my kitchen lights to LED, I am considering an LED conversion for the RSM too~ still learning more about the capabilities of the lights and impacts or positives for fish and coral related to going all LED. I have had great luck modding things over the years so I am seriously tempted here.
But also waiting to see if the growth of LED usage takes place .Apparently there were some patent issues to using LED aquarium lights and possibly contributing to the slow down of its release.

Good luck and have fun.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LED technology is progressing so quickly that it will only get better, with today's technology prone to quickly being outdated by something even better soon (as well as prices coming down). I think it was the Solaris patent disputes that slowed things down for a while, but it seems to be picking up speed again. I've been tempted to go all LED, but I'll wait it out for a while.

Bobi1956

Has anyone else had issues with removal of the fine polishing filter cartridge from left rear compartment. Even with me holding the hood fully open I had to end up using a dremel and cutting part of the "O" ring handle off - I'll post pic of what I did here in lil while

reeferman

it just slides straight up and out with lid closed and skimmer flap open.no need to cut anything.the ring handle gives you a place to grab it.