Post your RSM 250 Mods Here!

carlito

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your input, have checked the flow rate into the tank and am getting 70LPH which I think is too low and maybe be part of why the chiller is over working, will try an extenal pump with a higher flow rate over the week end, by the way am getting constant temp of around 25.4 in the main tank

dizzyg

Hi Guys

I'v been thinking of getting a RSM250 for a couple of months, been eye'ing one out at the LFS but after reading this forum im a little concerned, it seems you guys like the tank but want to upgrade most of the stock systems, my question is with all the mods you guys are doing to get your tanks running the way you like it, is it worth it to get a RSM250 in the first place? I'm from South Africa and a tank costs round R20 000 before you have put anything in it! this is a lot of money, more than I would ever spend on a custom set up so should I even bother looking at a RSM or should I just go custom?

dizzyg

Hi Guys

I'v been thinking of getting a RSM250 for a couple of months, been eye'ing one out at the LFS but after reading this forum im a little concerned, it seems you guys like the tank but want to upgrade most of the stock systems, my question is with all the mods you guys are doing to get your tanks running the way you like it, is it worth it to get a RSM250 in the first place? I'm from South Africa and a tank costs round R20 000 before you have put anything in it! this is a lot of money, more than I would ever spend on a custom set up so should I even bother looking at a RSM or should I just go custom?

pocketreef

Hi dizzyg,

As the RSM arrives to you more expensive in your position I would be thinking about designing my own tank. With the same $$ you'll have something a lot better overall. It was the case for me in the past, I designed a very nice cube with HQI and a powerfull octopus skimmer, no need for chiller and I had a sump with refugium. The fun used to be bigger.

But as I live now in a country where custom things are more expensive I ended-up with the RSM as this I seemed for me the cheaper tank after a used one. :smack: Ok, I was not counting on adding anything but It's now costing well above my expectations. A noisy frankenstein with interesting design full of small issues.

HTH

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
dizzyg -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club. Pocketreef has some good points. The 250 is a beautiful tank, but like all of the all-in-ones it's certainly not perfect. At least a custom setup lets you choose your own equipment to avoid some of the issues with the 250. But, neither approach is low cost.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I love my 130D RSM & run it stock, no hurry, but I plan to one day upgrade to a 64 gal. RSM 250, then I will be able to have twice the fish & more coral (the stock T5's will be absolutely fine for me) and run my RSM250 stock, it going to he new 250D model (with the skimmer pump fixed - yet to be released).

Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beholder, to me, the RSM's are the best looking tanks there is... the RSM 250 to me is drop dead gorgeous, prettier than a custom tank, I just really really like the looks of them !

Oakhouse

Welcome dizzy, That does sound expensive, probably about 1/3 more than we paid for ours, plus we added an extra powerhead, and an ATO. I think had the 250 been that price here in the UK we would have built a custom tank.

tnwillia

Here are a few pictures of my mods/upgrades going to Vortech MP-40s and my use of Loc-line on both Left & right wall ports. All cord holders used came from Lowe's and were shown before here on RS. All Loc-Line is 1/2". Enjoy!

DSC01269.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

dustinc

I was wondering why everyone has added different lighting? Do you feel the lighting isn't sufficient or is it the heat issue? Just wondering. Thanks

tnwillia

Dustinc.... first, Welcome to RS! I just wanted to remove the RSM hood. I did have a heat issue and my chiller run time was cut in half by removing the hood. I also wanted HQI/T5. Many people are running super beautiful tanks with the stock RSM T5s. Have fun!

Nowellsy SNR

Dustinc Hi and welcome think Tom said it all people with stock 250 hoods have great looking tanks people who decide to mod there 250 hoods also have great looking tanks its all down to personal choise......

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

If it helps... I have great success with the 130D stock light - when I upgrade to a RSM 250 I will run the stock lights & be tickled !!! :)

steveh

We have seen some amazing mods since the launch of the Max. Some make us cry but most make us smile at the ingenuity of reefers around the world. The stock lighting was designed specifically to meet the claims of the aquarium: For the Max 130D this means softies and lps corals and some sps in the right part of the tank. In the M250- just go nuts! We haven't found a species of sps that won't grow really well under the standard lighting. However, we raise a glass to all you modders out there and we thank you for choosing a Max to mod!