Post your RSM 250 Mods Here!

Penfoc

Hi

Im looking for mods / upgrades for the Max 250 to make it quieter!

I have ordered a Nano Skimmer and am looking at what I can do with the pumps and the fans?

any help or links would be great?

Cheers

Penfoc

ckoni, thanks

sounds good.

Do you know which model of the tunze silence pumps as there seem to be a few to choose from?

cheers

kyley

ckoni, how did you replace the fans? I assume you're talking about the ones on the lights? I've been wanting to do that myself, but haven't figured out how to do it yet. Does the panel covering the fans pop off? I don't want to force it... Thanks for your input,
--Kyle

ckoni

You just have to take off all the screws wich are on light side of the top panel then after that you will have two parts don't worry it's well done inside ne part is just in plastic and nothing else and the other part is attach with all the electrical system of the red sea max. Then you just aheve to replace the four fans, the only difficulty is that the fan i used are a little more thick than the original ones and you must cut a little part of plastic ..
Hope i helped you .

kyley

Thanks ckoni. I'm not quite following you, but hopefully I can figure it out. Do you mean you take the screws out that cover the lights themselves? Or some other screws near the lights? So you used 60x25mm fans right? Do I need to look for a different size (60x20 or 60x15mm?) - or are these particular fans just a tiny bit too large for some reason?

BTW, did you replace the water cooling fans in the back? Looks like these fan replacements will be my next project - they're sooo loud... Thanks,
--Kyle

kyley

Awesome, thanks Terry - didn't think they'd have such a thing! That's just what I needed - looks more complicated than i expected! I wish they had a closeup of the fan connectors - several different ones that are similar to that. These look like standard 60x25mm fans though - that's good...

ckoni, it looks like the hood has 2-pin fan connectors, is that right? Thanks,
--Kyle

Penfoc

Does anyone know which Tunze Silence pumps to go for in the 250? they seem to have a few different models?

Cheers

Penfoc

Kyle - nice write up -

Think Im going to order the fans.

I want to get a vortech MP40 to help with the water flow, but they are quite expensive.

Can anyone recommend there any good (cheaper) alternative to the vortech's?

cheers

kyley

Thanks Penfoc - you might want to wait until I've actually tried out my fans before ordering them. I'll be the guinea pig! ;)

As for alternatives to Vortech, sure there are Koralia pumps and similar that are entirely housed in the tank. These work well too, but don't provide things like random flows or multiple pumps working together. They also generate more heat inside the tank. However, I'm using an MP20 plus Koralia 1 and 2 pumps in the tank. Take care,
--Kyle

Penfoc

Thanks Kyle - yes maybe I'll wait!!!

Struggling to find many stores in the UK that stock the Vortech MP40 es. Seems that most are imported in. Best price I have seen is £344! WOW!

Cheers