Playa's Reef

ReefLady

Staff member
Awesome Luis, it's nice to see a future tank of the month in the making. :)

Travis

Robz

Holy Cow !!! the new setup looks amazing Luis!!! im speachless I can only imagine how sweet thet tank is going to look when you tranfer all the corals from your other setup!!!
Im so happy for you buddy... dreams do come true;) this is definatelly a TOTM for sure and with the talent you have aquascaping:cool: :cool: ... common Luis give us some more pictures!!!! CONGRATS BUDDY IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU SENOR!!!

Playa

Thanx Travis you are kind dude!
Holy Cow Robbie! Thanx for the enthusiasm! You have played a major role in this journey.

Just finished moving the rest of the corals to the new reef. Most of them are placed in temporary spots until I receive the corals that Brian(www.Blowfishacuatics.com) has been holding for me for many weeks. Great guy! Awesome customer service.

I also transfered most of the rocks from the 65. I really dont need anymore rock on the 180. You can say that I just completed phase one of my aquascape. I am pretty happy with the center and the right of the tank. I still have some work to do on the left side. I only bought a new 37 pound rock(One solid Rock that is in the center of the tank) the rest of the rock that is now in my 180, all came from the 65(it goes to show you how much rock I had on the 65). Crazzy!

I must have probably around 40 pounds of live rock left. I will probably put a couple of small pieces in the refugium and the rest is going to the LFS. ALso going back to the LFS for trade several colonies of zoanthids, green leather, Pom Pom Zenia etc...

My back is killing me:)

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I am going to check the reef:) I might not sleep tonight to well.

Luis

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Pictures...give us some more...please:D

This sounds and looks awesome from what I've seen so far.

tankgirl

Luis, I guess it's ok to put your corals into the tank without cycling it, is that right? This is all good info for me and others!

Playa

TG while the cycling is taking place, everything should be ok. Adam(Ajax)was just telling me today that as long as I left the algae alone and did not disturb it, the cleaning crew should take care of teh mess. I have started with 20 lefties, 20 blue legs and 20 snails. I will be adding twice that many in the next few days(from the 65). The tank has been up and running for a week now.

I have also added a Red sea Sailfin Tang that caught my eye this afternoon. Very docile and friendly little fellow. Also new to my reef this afternoon are a pair of tank raised perculas.

This evening I will be spending more time aquascaping the left side of the reef. I am thinking about puting back into the 65 a few of the colonies of zoanthids and ricordias(I have way to many). I have 350 ideas a minute as to what I should do on the left side and nothing rhymes in my head just yet:-(

Cheers!

Luis

tankgirl

Thanks, Luis!!! Also, where did you buy your 400W electronic ballasts (if you don't mind saying)?

Very exciting to have corals in the new tank!!! :D

Playa

TG I bought 2 MH electronic eballasts(brand new and unused from ROBZ) and the other I ordered from "Champion lighting".

The ICECAP 660 electronic ballast for the VHO's I ordered from Premium Acuatics.

Last edited:

TDEVIL

Originally posted by Playa
I am thinking about puting back into the 65 a few of the colonies of zoanthids and ricordias(I have way to many)

and that is a problem:confused: :D

are you going to put any of those deep water acro's in there? if so, what are you going to do about the lighting, or will they get use to the lighting

pics to come soon, i hope

TD

Playa

No probs TG:)

Today's addtion to the reef:

1 Genicanthus Melanospilos ( female ) Angel
1 Mimic Tang

Wiring of the Lights has been completed this afternoon.

Pictures soon to come:)

Luis

mredman

Luis, looks fantastic.

Two suggestions:

1. Use a quality ground fault interupter - it may save your life!

2. I suggest using a stainless steel catch pan (I had one made for about $100). The pan should be placed underneath the sump and plumbing. Even if you never have a leak (and you would be the first), it will also catch the salt creep from pipes.

I have mine drain into a drain, so in the event of a major disaster, at least I don't ruin the floor and carpet.

Mike

tankgirl

Luis, does one Blueline E ballast control all three Radiums (MHs)? I was looking at them and they say there are "3 disconnects" but I don't understand what that means. It seems kind of crazy to have to have 3 ballasts.

Playa

TG you need one Ballast per bulb on the MH's, although I am firing 3 VHO's bulbs with a 660 ICECAP electronic ballast. Most MH ballasts fire one bulb. :)

Mike thanx a lot for the suggestions. I am a great advocate of a ground fault interrupter myself.

Luis

tankgirl

Thanks again, Luis! The magnetic ballast I have controls all three MHs, and before that I only had 1 mh in the small tank. So, I never learned about it. You can see I'm trying to learn a lot from your tank setup. :D

tankgirl

Sugar's the good twin and I'm the troublesome, vinegar half. Someday I'll sit down and count all the times I've gone down in flames just to make a point. doh.

sharks

Contributing Member
Originally posted by tankgirl
Luis, does one Blueline E ballast control all three Radiums (MHs)? I was looking at them and they say there are "3 disconnects" but I don't understand what that means. It seems kind of crazy to have to have 3 ballasts.

Each ballast has 3 connections. A positive, negative, and a ground. Last year mine came with BNC connectors a lot like coax connectors that twist and lock down. The new ones are more like the AV cables on the back of you TV just with longer and fatter metal inserts. One of mine blew and they stopped making the BNC type. From the hood/fixture the connection is mage directly on the ballast. So you can mount the ballasts somewhere and if you need to take the fixture off you just undo the connections and take the fixture and the wire harness with it.
HIH
S