Pics of my 115 gallon and it's construction

ggee1

I'm new to the forum here and thought I would see what others thought of the monster that I have built :) Now I'm not a carpenter nor do I have have a workshop.... all the cutting had to be done in the apartment here and boy was it a mess!

This is what happens you have more ideas then money! I brought home this 115 gallon acrylic reef tank from work. Well the tank was in much needed repair since it had been sitting outside in the hot south Florida sun for almost three years. The tank use to be a reef display tank at the Key West Aquarium and was replaced because it had way too many scratches.

Well seeing it sit there I knew I wanted it and could spend the time rebuilding it. It took three weeks to sand and buff the scratches out and another few weeks to build the stand. Here are some pictures of the progress! Enjoy!

This is the tank prior to sanding and buffing out the scratches.
100_0909.JPG

The stand is made of 2X6's and is your basic frame however, I measured the width of the stand wrong and ended up with 9 more inches then I really needed. :( It turned out ok though because I made a little tiled ledge that added character to the design.
100_0960.JPG

I then created the hood frame, making sure that I allowed enough distance from the waters surface to the metal halide retrofit. Approx 9 inches away from the surface.
100_0967.JPG

Next came the oak facing and simple 3/4" plywood doors ( left over wood from the last hurricane) :turntable
100_0969.JPG

Then the whole thing was moved into an area of the living room where it would look the best. Water was added and a cheap light to the hood until money would allow me to purchase the metal halide. I also caught some test fish that I added to the tank while it cycled along with 100 lbs of live reef sand

100_1060.JPG

While the tank cycled, my boss at the Aquarium gave me 200 lbs of Florida Live Rock to help the cycle. Pretty cool of him to do, not to say how much money he saved me!!! :bigbounce

100_1088.JPG

I then decided to look for a metal halide... again my boss gave me a 400 watt w/ ballast and two 30 watt blue actinic w/ballast from one of our reef tanks at work that was older and had been replaced months ago. It worked out great since I did not need the hood, but only the equipment inside to retro fit it to my DIY hood.

100_1164.JPG

The sump was pretty simple! 1 Rubbermaid container... skimmer (again another donation from my boss) and a chiller. Because the stand is enclosed, heat has a tendency to build so, like the hood two 4" cooling fans were added.

100_1231.JPG

The fans are vented out the sides, one moving air in and the other one moving air out.
100_1265.JPG

There you have it and it's still not finished! Stain still needs to be added!
100_1206.JPG

Last edited:

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I love those tiles!!! Where did you get them??

I had to buff out a 6' tank one time. I paid my little sister $50 to crawl inside and do it for me. She did an awesome job!! I found some 2000 grit pads for a palm sander, it was the quickest and easiest way to do the job.

Any thought to moving the chiller outside of the stand?

ggee1

Thanks! No plan to move the chiller out of the stand as of yet, space in this apartment is luxury I do not have and the tank has taken up a lot of space. The tiles believe it or not came from Home Depot. I was pretty shocked when I saw them and new at that moment it would be added somewhere on the stand. I wished I could of hired my sister to sand the inside of this one, never thought of that lol!

ReefLady

Staff member
Not to derail this Greg, but my wife and I took our honeymoon in Key West back in July... left a little bit of our hearts there I believe.

Check out some of the pics >>HERE<<

And from the butterfly conservatory >>HERE<<

:)

ggee1

Wow, I can see why with those pictures! Well, if you left a little bit of your hearts here then it gives you all the more reason to come back down and visit again. :)

Gina

RS STAFF
Who is your boss? I want him!! LOL
I saw this picture in the gallery and just fell in love with your stand! You did a very fine job. The tiles are awesome and add so much character to the stand.
Welcome to our home!

ggee1

Thanks Gina, yeah I have it pretty lucky when it comes to my job. The only thing about the stand is that I made it 9 inches larger and it will not fit through the door if I should move. :( Thank God I'm not planning on moving soon!

mps9506

Yes, Very very nice. I love the stand. My next tank will have a stand that is larger than the tank. I think it is more functional, even if it wasn't intended :)
Wish my DIY skills were good as yours, even if you claim not to be that good.
You would have laughed if you saw my first and last attempt at a canopy.

ggee1

Well I white washed the stand and hood today... started early in the morning... doesn't look that much different :( Trim around the doors is next and that will be some form of dark blue to go with the tile.

100_1266.JPG
100_1267.JPG

awesome .
don`t worry your stand looks well. when you pass some time :time: building diy projects with interest , you really learn to love the final work howevr it`s look. :) :)

ggee1

Well I finished the painting the trim.... not sure if I like it though!!! It's suppose to be an Oxidized look however, it looks odd! Maybe it will grow on me? I have also added a pic of the Polyps that seemed to have grown all over this one piece of live rock. Not much else has changed, I am looking for some Frogspawn and Birdsnest coral here in the next week or so.

100_1289.JPG

WITHOUT FLASH
100_1290.JPG
100_1291.JPG
WITH FLASH

100_1292.JPG

(Picture Above) I was told this was some type of Acropora??
Most of this was just about destroyed when I added the live rock! It actually had some really nice branches, but they fell victim to an avalanche and were broken :grr: . It's been a few months but it has all new buds. :bigbounce

mps9506

the above pic is a montipora digitata. It is a hardy easy growing sps coral. Generally pretty brittle, I'm always fraggin mine on accident.

Anyways I LOVE how your setup looks. Wish I could have incorporated my setup into the room the way you have done.
Maybe someday when I get a house I will be able to make something that looks that well done.

ggee1

Well I hate to say this but I actually built this in my apartment! Probably not a great idea.... but I have no plans on moving for a while, at least that I know of! Landlord hasn't seen it yet! :) BTW do you know what type of Star Polyp I have there? It came with the live rock and was an extra~ Thanks for your help with this.