Nori?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok it's time for some new/fresh NORI. I've always bought it AT the LFS when I was in the area but I wont be there for a while and I was wanting to get some at the grocery store. The only problem is in this area there's not a lot of "Ethnic" foods and we don't have a "Sushi" section at the grocery store. If we eat Sushi it's AT the Sushi bar which doesn't sell individual components just fresh made sushi meals.

So I ask you..

Where else might we find NORI at the grocery store?

Is it refrigerated or just in a sealed container?

Is there any other information I can use to look for it? We're heading that way in an hour or so...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
If you compare the 'toasted' to the raw, you will see that the toasted is faded and not as green. Also, as Leebca has pointed out in the Fish forum, the nutrient content is higher in the raw nori. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Doni! RAW not Toasted! I can remember that... resembles "Shaken Not Stirred"

:D

Octoman

Raw nori may be a bit harder to come by, but this may help in the search...

dried Raw Nori = hoshi nori
Toasted Nori = yaki nori or sushi nori

I've been feeding the toasted (I didn't realize there was a difference when I bought it), but I will be trying to find the raw for the next batch. Does anyone know if the brands made specifically for fish are dried or roasted?

Fish Crazy

I purchased Nori at my local Save Mart grocery store in the same section as ethnic foods. It was on a bottom shelf below packed mixes and noodles - my tangs love it and the price was right

Frankie

RS STAFF
I get mine at the local health food store. If it does not say toasted on it another way to find out if it is or not would be how it holds together in the water. Toasted will fall apart fast into tiny pieces where the untoasted will not.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well I've searched HIGH and LOW! One store "carries" Nori but they are out of stock till later this week. Next time I go into the BIG town I'll pick some up :)

lcstorc

Great web site. Several different choices of sea vegtables. I wonder if some of the others are good as well. Some say toasted but most do not. Think my tangs would like a sea veggie salad?

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
hey al try this place:
Zoolies Natural Food Market - 308 N Haywood Street - Waynesville, NC 28786 (828) 452-3663

mps9506

Hey Al, if I remember correctly there is a Whole Foods and or Earth Fare in Asheville (I remember something near the Biltmore Estate entrance close to a Pet Supplies Plus store). The definitely should have some Nori. I get the raw for myself also and toast it over the range for myself while I feed the fish :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
hey al try this place:
Zoolies Natural Food Market - 308 N Haywood Street - Waynesville, NC 28786 (828) 452-3663

Good find! You're GOOD! *LOL* that place is just out of walking distance from My office... guess where I'm going at LUNCH tomorrow? :)

thanks everyone!

Mike yeah you got the name right... Earth-Fare sounds about right!!

:)

Phyxius

I pick mine up in a
Chinese store in Raleigh NC but the info Woodstock posted is nice to know

dried Raw Nori = hoshi nori
Toasted Nori = yaki nori or sushi nori