My Little Mandarin

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Yeah, I thought it was a female too until I saw the spike in the last picture. I don't want to be calling it a she if it's a he!:)

lcstorc

Personally, I would say a juvinile he but I really don't know.
I do know your little buddy is making improvements and that is the good thing.
Keep those pics coming.

vdituri

Scott, if it is a juvenile, it is probably too soon to tell unless you find a different fin structure on a same sized spotted mandarin. Like stated that starvation may have stunted it's fin growth. That said, it "looks" like a female.

seafansar

That's a male. Spotted mandarins don't have as long of a spike as the greens. Here's a post comparing a male to a female.
The female is on top and the male below. Females have no spike. I'm thinking it's hard to find a female, cause I've only seen males in person.
Good job getting that one healthy again. Try feeding it frozen mysis. I have two target mandarins that love mysis.

Mya

I want a female green to go with my male green... but think I should do more research.
Mine has ate brine since I first got it and I switched it over to mysis since its so much better for him.
How did feeding it in a jar go? I have so many monsters in my tank that I started feeding mine in a bottle a while ago. The blenny, goby, and my green are the only things that can get in there to eat. Which is kinda nice for them not having to compete for food. Thanks for letting me know about the pellets too. I tried one type but no one really seemed to like it.

jjohnson3

I like that Mandaran Dentoid! I know it will work out for you! At least you know what it needs! I bet the LFS you got it from would have told an inexperienced aquarist that it redily accepts flake foods. Then it would perish for sure. Good luck! I have a question Dentoid. Are you a dentist? If not I am terribly sorry!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Perfect setup to help restore the little guys health and help him accept prepared foods without any competition, great job Scott !

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Jason!

Sandy, thanks for checking-in. The little gal is doing great. It's lights out right now, so I can't get a picture. But tomorrow is another day. I did pour in a bottle of Tigger Pods today though.

sandyc

I am so glad it is working out for her. I guess I have been following along because I lost a mandarin 2 days after I bought it. I was crushed. It is good to hear that someone has been successful.

I have heard that there are a few people breeding mandarins now. I would love to be one of the first to buy one as they are already trained to take pellets and frozen mysis.

Sigh........maybe someday.:) Until then I will enjoy your success.