My Little Mandarin

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Well folks I have broken a cardinal rule and I don't care! Well, I do care but I couldn't let it be. I went to the LFS today for a look see and I find this juvenile spotted mandarin in a 10 gallon tank with a fist sized piece of LR. It was so emaciated, but still had some spunk to him.

DSC_0001-28.jpg

He can't be more than 1 1/4" in length and was starving.

DSC_0002-27.jpg

I just couldn't let him sit in a bare tank waiting for some unknowing or uneducated person to walk in and take him home to a certain death. He was looking at me with those eyes I tell ya!

DSC_0001-28.jpg

I have a 20 gallon tank in my basement that I call the coral grave yard. I throw coral in this tank that isn't doing well in my MD or frags that break off. Some of the corals that didn't do well in my MD have thrived in this tank. It has been set up for 2 years and has never had any fish in it.

DSC_0003-15.jpg

This tank is swarming with pods. I mean it is over run with them. I look at it at night and the front glass is literally covered.

DSC_0004-32.jpg

I will not forget this little guys enthusiasm when I let him out into the tank, gobbling up these pods on the glass on his way down to the bottom. So for this little dragonet, a chance for life. Sure I know that this tank will not support him through adulthood, but I can always move him when he outgrows it. Come on little buddy, you can do it!

DSC_0006-20.jpg

Rue

Good luck! Try him on frozen...that tank won't hold him for more than a week or two I'm guessing...

ReefLady

Staff member
:help1: *Please, Mr - take me home, please!* :help1:

Good luck with him. Try mysis - some people can get Mandarins to eat it.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:lol: That's how I felt Teri! It's never a good thing for me to go to an animal shelter, as I want to take everyone of them home! Therefore, many times when I go to the LFS, I don't look at the fish. Today I looked as I had not been in this LFS for some time. Now look what I did!

jski711

Rods food!!!! My female and male destroy rods food. My female is picky also. Only eats mysis and rods but my male will eat formula one small soft pellets. It's the only dry food I've heard of that mandarins eat. It's nice and soft so it will be easy for them to eat!!! Good luck I have a pair of spawning pyschadelics and one female spotted. They are amazing fish.

Rue

You have NO idea how disappointed I was when I found out my tank was going to be too small for that cute little fish...

...but if I ever get a BIG tank...watch out!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I know full well what this fishes requirements are and I have no intention of leaving it in this tank. Since it was stocked with pods and the juvenile mandarin has no competition for food, he can fatten up before being moved. This tank also has a mini refugium with chaeto, so he should do well in here for a while.

bluespotjawfish

Scott, do you feed your pods? Even if the fish doesn't eat, I'd feed the tank flake food to help increase the pod population.

Good luck.

bratyboy2

well im going to get the formula one food tomorow to get my green mandarin to eat god i hope it works!!!! pray for me!

DaveK

I have sometime gotten mandarins to eat frozen blood worms, and also live black works. A lot depends on the fish. Hope you get it back to health.

Be especially careful feeding live blackworms, since they will only live a few minutes in SW.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks everyone!

Here are some pictures from today. She is happily lapping up pods.
Her belly certainly looks fuller.

DSC_0004-33.jpg

DSC_0008-23.jpg

DSC_0009-22.jpg

DSC_0010-19.jpg

SeahorseBT

She does look fuller. Good luck with the frozen training. For some reason I have heard the spotted one are easier to train than the psychedelic ones.

lcstorc

I agree. She has a better chance with you than with pretty much anybody. Your reef has lots of hiding places so when she fattens up and moves I hope she will do well.
I have found that even if/when they eat mysis, that alone is not enough. Mine gobbles mysis like a champ and is still getting really skinny. I just took some cheato from the fuge in the other tank and put it in her tank.
Perhaps you can do the same long term and keep some cheato in the 20 and shake it in the DT now and then to keep the pod population up.
Since you have this pod breeding ground already, you have a much better chance.