Mod's RSM S500

modulok

Thanks. The rocks seemed a lot bigger out of the tank....

I am trying to figure out how I want to do the rockscape. I think I want to keep the Shelf piece where it is, and support it with a few rocks underneath. Then pile some rocks on top.

The Tonga Branch piece is giving me a headache. I don't want to lay it flat, and I don't want to just lean it on a rock. I'm not sure if I can secure it well enough wedged between rocks and let it hand out. It's a pretty heavy piece.

I kinda wished that the tank was 2" less in height. Reaching down to the bottom to scape (using both hands) will definitely be tiring for 150lbs of rock. I'd rather have 1/2 or 1" more in depth.

Oh well. Making the last 15 gallons of water to be stored in the can just in case I lose some water in the move. I have another 15 gallons ready, to make it 75 in the tank. With the other 60 coming over I should be good to start the transfer. Hoping I can get 75 gallons up to temp by Sunday AM.

modulok

Well I heated up the 75 gallons in the tank today. Started last night with a 300w heater and went from 66.5 to 69.5 in 11 hours. This morning I added another 200w heater and put the lights on all day. Came home around 8PM and it was 80.5! Both heaters were set to 78-79.

If the heat is an issue I think I'd rather get a controller then a chiller. I could turn off lights/turn on a fan if the temp gets too high. Plus other fun things. It would be cheaper than a chiller also.

I've looked at the major 4 controllers, Profilux, Apex, Reef Keeper, and Reef Angel a little bit. Can someone give any feedback on them?
I'd like to do the following:
  • Temperature Control/Monitor
  • Vortech Control
  • PH monitor
  • Feed mode (turn off flow, return pumps, set Vortech to feed mode)

modulok

2100.jpeg

mikezanga

looks great moduluk! As far as the controllers, I am going with the reefkeeper or the apex....both have very good reviews...best of luck with your beautiful RSM 500!

modulok

I'm not sure I will need a controller for the heat. The light fixture did get quite hot yesterday. But the temperature didn't rise over 80. Today will be the first full day of light, so we will see. The heatsink definitely gets hot, and you can feel the heat under the lights.

I added a light above the refugium area. I tied it in with the moonlight outlet so it's on opposite the main lights. I am hoping I can do little things like that and skip a controller for now.

The skimmer was really tricky to get dialed in to not produce massive amount of bubbles. I turned off the pump for now. I am hoping for a few days of running water through it will break in. Then I can use it. I also ordered a hang on container for the skimmer sludge. I will hang it over the fuge in case it overflows.

After a few hours after I moved everything in and my hands/arms were dry I really enjoyed the tank. It is definitely an HD display tank. It's very clear and without microbubbles it doesn't even look like water is flowing. The moonlights are so bright. The tang didn't really know it was time for bed for awhile. He normally shoots into his hiding spot once the lights go out. Maybe he will after adapting for a few days.

I just hope my Goby finds his shrimp buddy now. It took a major reconstruction of the rocks for him to find the shrimp's burrow. I know the rock where the shrimp was in, and its stacked on two rocks. So hopefully he will crawl down into the sand again.

mikezanga

Moduluk...re: the refugium light...did you just add an adapter to the moonlight so you can plug both the moonlights/regugium lights into the same outlet on the rsm? Also, i agree, I'm struggling with the skimmer as well...as you progress and tune yours in would love to hear your thoughts(or any others out there that use the cskim from red sea)....

modulok

Yeah, just a standard 3 outlet adapter. Just fits underneath the power center cover.

One thing I like about the skimmer is you don't need its pump on to run water through it. Until I get it broken in and tuned right I am good with just running it while I am around. I feel much safer doing that while I am asleep or out of the house. Although this morning I was a little scared when I couldn't hear anything downstairs. But everything was running fine. Much quieter than the RSM250 (and no skimmer ATM).

Next thing is to figure out what else to put in there. I have my Occellaris Clown in the sump. Going to bring him to the office tank because he was fighting with my Pink Skunk Clown. I do want an anemone, rocks, etc is almost 9 months old, but I know I've got to run this for a bit and make sure I know this tank in & out. Definitely want an Orchid Dottyback and Flame Angel in the future.

modulok

Thanks. I am surprised how good it went too. I am hoping not to get too OCD with it and leave it alone.

modulok

Haha thanks. I found the avatar (from Salival album by Tool) years ago and use it on most forums. Makes it easy to find my posts so I don't reread my own stuff, lol.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Haha thanks. I found the avatar (from Salival album by Tool) years ago and use it on most forums. Makes it easy to find my posts so I don't reread my own stuff, lol.

I just went to their concert in Orlando about a month ago... So Awesome!

modulok

Cool. I went in Feb (3rd time). Nothing compares to a live Tool concert.

Back to the topic. Temp is 79.5. Room temp is 71. Skimmer pump is the only thing not on. So I'm not sure why your temp went up so much mikezanga. Do you have another heater to try? I have two of these, 200w & 300w.

mikezanga

Moduluk...I've been tweaking the lighting for the last week....the issue may now be resolved....first issue, I had all 10 lights on for 12 straight hours...I also had my heater set to 78...I've switched the heater setting down to 76 and I have the center tubes coming on for an hour(sunrise), then 8 hours of just the outside 8 tubes, then one hour of the center tubes(sunset)....this has now gotten me to a steady 79-80 degree temp for three straight days....I also have what appears to be a fully cycled tank...I used Dr Tims One and Only...last tuesday so 6 days ago...ammonia is now gone, nitrites are at 0.25ppm and nitrates are up to 10ppm...I am going to dose ammonia tonight and see if it and nitrites are gone tomorrow and if so, I'm ready for livestock!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

modulok

Awesome. I haven't tried only running the front & back lights since I have two actinics in the center lights. I was thinking the color is a little too white with all 10 lights on. I was thinking of getting two purple bulbs for the center, and moving one of the actinics so both front & back have two of each color.

black2012

Yeah, just a standard 3 outlet adapter. Just fits underneath the power center cover.

One thing I like about the skimmer is you don't need its pump on to run water through it. Until I get it broken in and tuned right I am good with just running it while I am around. I feel much safer doing that while I am asleep or out of the house. Although this morning I was a little scared when I couldn't hear anything downstairs. But everything was running fine. Much quieter than the RSM250 (and no skimmer ATM).

Next thing is to figure out what else to put in there. I have my Occellaris Clown in the sump. Going to bring him to the office tank because he was fighting with my Pink Skunk Clown. I do want an anemone, rocks, etc is almost 9 months old, but I know I've got to run this for a bit and make sure I know this tank in & out. Definitely want an Orchid Dottyback and Flame Angel in the future.

I'm not sure how the new skimmer works but I would have the pump on while breaking in, that is typically the part that needs it most. Just cut the air off completely and it wont overflow.

modulok

Tomorrow I will play with the skimmer.
Today I did some much needed cleaning around the tank area. I also did some water testing.

Measured pH at 8 pH
red sea
20:18

Measured Calcium at 460 ppm
api
19:54

Measured Alkalinity at 171 ppm
hanna
19:51

Measured Phosphate at 0.14 ppm
hanna
19:40