Mod's RSM S500

modulok

I've been lucky, all of the rocks are touching the glass at the bottom and I tried to push substrate around each base rock when I did the initial scape.

The Candy Pistol isn't a worry, he moves one tiny piece at a time. But when the Tiger Pistol went in, and started to dig under the largest Pukani rock I was getting a bit worried. So far it has held up, and I'm not worried any more. I was a bit worried with the large Turbo Snails though, I couldn't even pull them off the acclimation container without fear I would hurt them. So I left it and let them crawl out on their own.

Hopefully this weekend I will sort through and post some pics I took 2 weeks ago.

modulok

Added a Bubble Tip Aenome. A few weeks ago. I had to temporarily move the patch of Zoas the Pink Skunk was sleeping in at night next to the 'Nem. For about 2 weeks after he was used to it I moved the Zoas into the sump. That night he was wiggling inside the 'Nem. I've only seen him in the 'Nem a few times, all at night. Last night I saw him in the other patch of Zoas that look identical to the ones he has been 'hosting'. But he moved back to the 'Nem area, so hopefully he will really host it, not just sleep in it.

Had my Orchid Dottyback in QT for about a week and a half. Heater got stuck Monday and saw temp was 90 when I got home from work. Got the temp down in 3 hours to 80, and changed out most of the water (using DT water). Died on Thursday. Figures this happens to the rare, hard to find fish. The first fish I QT'd. Cut him in two pieces and stuck in the freezer. The GBTA had two expensive meals!

Next thing I'm gonna do is get the PhosBan Reactor setup. My Phosphate is still around 0.05ppm.
Skipped water change this weekend. Going to try and do about 17-18 gallon changes ever two weeks and see what my levels are at. I've been doing that for the last 4-5 water changes, trying to get Phos down. Adding the Turbo Snails helped a lot. Ate through so much of the brown and red hair algae so far.

Thinking about controllers. Wondering what I should do the the power center thing. I wish that was an option for those who want to use a controller. I would like to use the space on the left side of the cabinet for all controller equipment, but not sure how the placement and wire management would look.

New additions...

May 16 -
2x Wheeler's Watchman Goby
Goniopora-Encrusting Green
Electric Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
5x Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab
4x Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
Tonga Fighting Conch
Tiger Pistol Shrimp

July 6 -
Green Center Candy Cane Coral
Acropora
Green Bubble Tip Anemone
Turbo Snails

Here are some new photos. New FTS coming soon

2161.jpeg

2162.jpeg

2163.jpeg

2164.jpeg

2165.jpeg

2166.jpeg

2167.jpeg

2168.jpeg

modulok

Thanks. I will try to obtain another Orchid when I can. Such a cool looking fish. It's too bad I didn't get a chance to see him dart in and out of the rockwork.

jeffrey

Yes, so far I have everything stock. Sponges are probably a must for trapping bubbles from overflow. I'm not sure how often I will clean them. I am still figuring a good way to feed the tank and not have a bunch of food get sucked into the overflow. With my old tank I just turned off the flow pumps, but that's not an option b/c the return pump creates a massive storm of bubbles when it's turned back on.

I removed the (2) black sponges and use a large sock over the return pipes, the sock traps a whole lot more debris and is easily cleaned. This also frees up a lot of room for other filtration matter that can further help in the filtration process.

modulok

I may remove the smaller sponge in the back and put a bag of purigen. But for now, with no Nitrates, I'm leaving it.

One thing that is bothering me is the front and back light panel micro switches are not working like they did in the beginning. Normally when you flip up the front or back light panels the lights will turn off within a second. Now the back has about a 10 second delay. The front is much worse, I can flip it up, and it might click off after 5 minutes!

Has anyone else's doing this? I just watched Aviad on you tube doing a demo and the lights go off almost immediately after it's lifted and the switch pops out.

Choff

I had an issue with mine. I pulled the unit, unscrewed the end caps and the connection between the ballast and the microswitch was not fully engaged. I just had to push it in more and everything was back up to snuff.

I don't know what the are called, but they look like the pict in this link. I'm guessing they were not fully connected when shipped or during shipping they jiggled loose and through further use came the rest of the way out. Mine actually stopped working.

Prise électrique femelle de FDD - french.alibaba.com

modulok

The actual switch isn't sticking, when I push it in and out nothing happens. I am guessing its something I would need to take apart the fixture. The thing is that it will shut off, it just takes way too long. So I doubt there is a loose connection like yours Choff.

modulok

I got a bunch of coral last week from a friend who got out of the hobby. Also got his Red & Purple Firefish and Skunk Cleaner Shrimp last night. I will post new pics soon.

Added the fish and shrimp last night. I did a quick scan of the new critters when I got home tonight and only saw the two Purple Firefish, Red one must still be hiding somewhere. Closer inspection I noticed BOTH Purples' fins were torn to bits. I can only guess that when the lights came on and the new fish met the 10 month fish they had a serious battle. For about the hour before bed time the new one was in a corner and the other in his normal spot in the middle. I fed Mysis and I watched both eat, but they didn't get close to each other.

I really didn't expect this, I thought Firefish were the most timid and peaceful fish. I also figured that adding the two (Purple & Red) Firefish from the friend's tank would have helped (2vs1).

I will keep an eye on them, if they survive till Thursday I will be home and can watch them wake up and see if they quarrel again.

On a lighter note, I ordered new bulbs today. 5x HexArc True Actinic & 5x HexArc Ocean Blue (12k) - 1x spare each - couldn't pass up PremiumAquatics deal at $10 per bulb. Also ordered 2x Giesemann Pure Actinic for the middle fixture. I will try and post pictures, but I can't seem to get the actinic shots to look good on film.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Firefish are nice and timid to others but can be mean to their own. I have a pair that got along well for 6 months, then one day one of them decided to bully the other. Now one has territory behind the rocks and the other in front of my rocks.

Choff

Did not know that about firefish. I thought they schooled. I was going to get 2-4 of them. Maybe just 1 now? Did I read they are jumpers too? Doubt we have to worry with that glass ledge running around and the light hood so close. It would take a spectacular angle for something to make it out.

modulok

Yeah, so far the protection from jumpers is actually pretty good. I saw first hand Monday AM when I was reaching in to grab a fallen coral. Wheeler Goby didn't like my hand so close to him and bolted vertically and out of the water. He either hit the back light fixture or a light cord hanging over the water surface. When he first went in back in May, he also tested his boundaries and bolted straight up the side glass and hit the glass lip.

I think you will have better luck adding two of the same type at once. I only saw the original Purple FF today, so both new ones are in hiding.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a question on the S500 tank regarding the rear chambers. Do they need vacuuming out like on the 250? It's such a pain and something i don't do nearly often enough.

Choff

I'm scared to look and I'm not sure I want to know. That won't be fun and I am already OC on keeping my sump tidy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

modulok

Actually this past weekend I did a little scrubbing in the back chamber. I put a mechanical filter under the downpipe to catch what I loosened up. I do need to scrub the pumps though...kinda a PITA with the power center. (But not as bad as getting to the RSM250 pumps!)

David Shaw

I have found the best way to clean the pumps is to remove without unplugging, just witch them off at the power centre. I just lift them out and then put them in a bucket, dismantled with whatever you use to soak them with. I use ascetic acid or white vinegar. I never unplug them, too much hassle.

The pump area is pretty dirty in mine. It's amazing just how much detritus collects back there and down in the sump. I need to remove the pumps scrape the glass inside then then suction out, same in the sump. It's kind of a big job so waiting until inspiration hits then will attack the cleaning with vengeance.

Now i am using filter socks, i am hoping that the sump area stays cleaner!

modulok

OK, Last night I installed 8 new bulbs, 4x HexArc Ocean Blue and True Actinic. I didn't have time to remove the two center bulbs (PITA that it needs to be removed from the tank).

Wow, so much more purple/red. I had a ton of dark red coralline algae that really stands out. I have 2x Giesemann Pure 420 actinic bulbs to install in the center fixture. I hope it helps balance out the red a bit. Below is a pic from my Galaxy 2.

2179.jpeg