Mod's RSM S500

modulok

The new 500 should be delivered by the end of the week. Caught me a little off guard, as I placed the order only last week (Apr 2).

A few weeks ago I moved my RSM 250 to make room for the 500's new home.
I will be moving my current stock into the 500. I hope I won't cause a cycle because I won't be moving my sandbed (just a cup full to seed the new sandbed).

Here is what I will move from 250:
  • 80lbs rock from ReefCleaners
  • 8lbs Fiji Live rock
  • 10lbs misc rock
  • ~50gal saltwater
  • Vortech MP40

Here is what I have purchased:
  • 40lbs dry special grade reef sand (I want a 1.25"-1.75" sand bed - just enough for the sand sifters)
  • 20lbs alive special grade reef sand
  • Pukani from BRS 20lbs (two large pieces)
  • Shelf from BRS 20lbs (one 15"x18" and 3-5 smaller pieces)
  • Tonga Branch from BRS 10lbs (one large piece)
  • Chemi-Pure Grande Elite
  • 200gal box Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
  • two 18 gallon containers for water changes
  • New test equip: Hanna Checker (phosphate & alk), BRS refractometer
BRS rock has been soaking since mid February. Actually had Nitrite & Nitrate readings on the Pukani, but they seem to be gone now. Phosphate is also detectable on all BRS rock.
I have to rinse the 40lbs of dry sand. Figured I would do that when waiting to fill the tank with new water. Figuring I will be making roughly 75-80 gallons of new saltwater. I am thinking to add the new sand (cup of current sand, dry & alive special grade) to the 500 and add a enough saltwater to cover it and mix it up a bit. Slowly as I make new water I will fill the tank.

I am hoping to get the stand assembled and tank on it this weekend. Then I can work on the odds & ends next week after work. Shooting for the end of the month for everything to be finished and moved into the 500.

Of course I will post some pictures, but won't do 'build' pictures since that's already been done in other S series threads.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Congrats on the purchase. I remember anticipating the delivery of my 250. I know you're excited. Will follow along.

modulok

Yeah, here is the latest update....

RSM 500 is not in my garage yet! Stupid local delivery company wasn't able to get it on the truck in time for Friday delivery...so now its Monday. Totally screwed up my plan for getting it mostly setup over the weekend. Now I'll have to do it after work during the week.

modulok

Tank was delivered yesterday, 20 minutes to 5pm of course.

20 minutes before the tank was delivered I got my Red Sea care package from Alan.
I got the package of what looks like a multi test kit and some starter fluids. I opened the box quick to look and noticed it was all wet inside. It looks like the coralline bottle completely emptied and made a mess. Is that stuff normally brown in color? It also smelled pretty bad as well, not sure I would even want to add that to my new tank. I left the box to the side and got to the main delivered item.

Inside of the tank is pretty dirty, definitely want to rinse it out with the hose. Skimmer box is huge, not sure how much is packaging, but wow. Side panel and cabinet door box is fairly heavy. Most boxes are labeled pretty well.

I did see some parts of the stand (aluminum pieces) that were a little dinged up. I know its not going to be seen much, but still. Also the top part of the stand (where the tank sits) had a chip in the plastic. Funny thing is that I did not find the piece that broke off. So I am thinking it chipped before it was crated up. Kinda upset that they would ship it like that. What would be severe enough to not ship?

2084.jpeg

I started to get all of the parts removed from the skid and got most of the stand built last night. It went pretty quick after I laid the parts out and sorted through them. I found there were many things labeled wrong, (piece D was labeled L, baggies were mislabeled with screw types that were in other baggies, etc), split one of the wooden dowels that really didn't need to be hammered for the top of the stand (had someone at work make one on the lathe).

Here is what it looks like so far.

2085.jpeg

Tues - I am hoping to get the rest of the cabinet together tonight (power center rails, back panel and get the top secured), then watch Devils-Panthers.
Wed - Wash out the tank
Thurs - Devils again.
Fri - Tank put on the stand and level. Put bottom panels in the cabinet. Install more black trim pieces. Install sump into cabinet.
Sat-Sun - Finish lights, skimmer, plumbing, etc and prepare for RO making and salt mixing marathon.

Nowellsy SNR

Great progress shame about the little things that are wrong but there the ones that annoy the most :(

Really looking forward to watching your progress thanks for the update

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great start - thanks for sharing !

on sidebar - I would ask Red Sea to resend, any damaged or missing parts for sure... new tank - that just right, no questions asked. PM Avaid

jeffrey

Looking good, sorry to hear about the chip. You have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck and have fun!

modulok

Jeff, did you get one of those RS step stools? Or was that just a Europe item? I didn't find it yet, and most boxes have been looked at.

Also I checked the three flow pumps, all three are 568gph @ 35w.