Mattie's Nano 20G

mattie

RS Sponsor
well my tank was born july 15th 2003 after 3 months i had a pair of clowns and my rocks mostly where i wanted them

mattie

RS Sponsor
at 6 months i had stocked the tank with several different corals and was wanting things that required more light
the current set up was 2 65w pc's and i was using a HOB refugium from CPR which was working wonderfully surprising suppled enough pods to feed a mandarin goby and the tank was showing great growth

mattie

RS Sponsor
at 7 months i wanted more sps and need more light so i made a custom hood and squeezed in 4 65w pc and added several sps frags and the tank really began to shine

mattie

RS Sponsor
at nine months the tank is packed pretty solid and is looking so good to me i do not want make big changes and i am very very impressed with the growth with powercompact lights. i have switched to a nano sized sump of 5.5 gallons and squeezed my skimmer and everthing down there. mostly at this point i am mostly enjoying the tank and watching things grow in. but i have had my problems in the past ...bryopsis...cyano...calcium...but only with in the past few weeks i have i finally got everything in check

Playa

Mattie, it looks pretty impressive to me. It reminds me of my old 20 gallon:) Nice going, the flow seems to be pretty good in the reef. Your corals look very healthy and beautiful.

Keep your eyes closed to the star polyps, they tend to take over and encrust easily. Once they do, they start growing over everything.

Best wishes!

Luis

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I really like the progression photos too!! Your tank has grown a lot. GJ Mattie!

EdgeKrusher

Nice tank Mattie. How do you get your zoos to grow so well. I mean I've had 2 colonies for almost 8 months, and haven't seen any growth, none, ziltch, nada. My shrooms grow, but not the zoos or the yellow star polyps. What tips can you give a frustrated reefer? I'm really tired of looking at the same two zoo polyps all the time. LOL

mattie

RS Sponsor
i do not know the secrect but i tried to keep it simple
low to moderate bio-load 3 fish in 20gallon pleanty of corals a few clams ..shallow ultra fine sand bed in tank and sump refugium with 4 types of macro algae a protien skimmer plenty of light 13 hours of actrinic and 10.5 hours of 10k the lighting is 4 65w powercompacts from coralife
i have 2 drip systems one calcium and one buffer. i feed with a mixture of food frozen mysis, formula 1, frozen brine(enriched) and frozen cyclopeeze and every other day or so i add dt's phyto or kent phytoplex. every 2 weeks i do a 5-15% water change i never clean the sand. i trim the macro in the fuge every few days i clean the glass every day in the front....oh yea there no mechanical type of filter floss or sponge ...as for what makes the zoo's grow so fast i do not know others have made similar comments I just try to keep everything healthy

addict

Looks great! :clink:

Can't wait to see it once all those frags start growing out... gonna have a forest of SPS in there. :D

mattie

RS Sponsor
another light upgrade

now the 20 is illuminated by a 250 mh 14k bulb hamilton and icecap ballast a few 80 mm fans and she go....
it a little blue but that kinda what i wanted cause it may be too much of a pain in the arse to add atinics so thats why i choose the 14k hamilton a little pricey but if i do not need atinics then i saved in the long run..

here is a pic today
517matties_20g14k.JPG