seatrueblue

Which one?
This
IMG_0060.jpg

or this
IMG_0060zoom.jpg

This is encrusting Anthelia

luisgo

I see zonathids and ricordias here but I think that they are not soft corals.

Soft corals are clove polyps, Xenia, star polyps,gorgonians, colt coral, leathers, kenya tree, sea fans and other similar corals.

The april 2009 contest was for zoanthids and this one should be for soft corals. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I think.

BLAKEJOHN

A soft coral would be any coral that is not a reef building coral. Reef building corals are those which have a hard skeleton. "Soft coral" is the general term for any "Anthozoan ".
Anthozoan: any of a class (Anthozoa) of marine coelenterates (as the corals and sea anemones) having polyps with radial partitions.
Anthozoa is a class of cnidarians.
Coelenterates, Cnidarians are radially symmetrical animals having saclike bodies with only one opening and tentacles with stinging structures; they occur in polyp and medusa forms.

The above are copy and pasted from multiple online dictionarys and are not my own words

So just about any Coral without a stony skeleton and including anenomes and jelly fish would fall under the "soft coral" by definition. What we are looking for here are any soft coral by relative hardness, excluding anenomes and jelly fish.

I would have to agree that rics and zoos should be left out only because we usually have a photo contest just for them.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I see zonathids and ricordias here but I think that they are not soft corals.

Soft corals are clove polyps, Xenia, star polyps,gorgonians, colt coral, leathers, kenya tree, sea fans and other similar corals.

The april 2009 contest was for zoanthids and this one should be for soft corals. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I think.

No, I think you are correct. My library is still boxed up from the move, but soft corals are in the order Alcyonacea, which include soft corals like kenya, lather corals, gorgonians and sea pens. Corillamorphines (mushrooms) and zoanthids are in a different order - they are in the same order as the SPS corals and anemones. Nepthea, Sarcophytons, Dendrophyllia, Cladiella, Tubipora, Sinularia, Capnella, Lobophyton, Heliopora, Carnation Corals (forget the genus). I am sure I missed some but those are the ones I can think of

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I don't care about an individual contest or not but mushrooms and zoas aren't corals, soft or hard. They are corillamoprhs and zoanthids

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
NOTE: The contest has been expanded to include soft corals, zoanthids, and ricordias.

funkpolice

i have some zoas and a few rics. I've touched them, and they are pretty soft. Not as soft as my leathers, but still, prrrreettttyyy soft.
bill