jhnrb 150 reef

jhnrb

I will be adding pictures soon (as I can figure out how to do it). anyway setting up a 150 reef. i have a pre fab cabinet and a home made hood. should have built the cabinet too, but will go with it as is. just cut the cabinet for the bottom drains and returns. thanks to all that responded to my new member post. will not recant that post here but will add as the project gets along. The tank is a mega flow all glass 150 - 72 x 18 x 29. after a 125 project I wanted the added height and due to area constraints went with the 18" width. I will start working on the hood this month (lights, fans, etc.), installing the sea swirls, corner brackets, and inside pump for the seq swirls (pump/bracket/cage not yet worked out/ pump not yet selected/ must be a loop system with a flow rate of 1100 g/p/h 1/2" line to each sea swirl, main feed split just above tank rim.), add uv resistive acrylic tops, and start removing out side metal shed for preperation of new equipment shed that will house all sumps, pumps, etc. as I can get pictures up I'll be a bit more specific on the equipment. naturally the main returns will be by a dolphin 3000 amp master ( not to confuse with the inside loop for the sea swirls as mentioned above) comments so far are welcome.

Last edited:

jhnrb

well i got the picture into the gallery but I don't quite know how to get it into the thread, help.

ReefLady

Staff member
Help, no problem...

First go here, which is your pic in the gallery (I got there by clicking "view gallery" below your username in this thread)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4832/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Now, you'll see a box of info below the pic. The last one says "UBB code." Highlight the text beside it, copy it and paste it into a post and the pic will show up! Give it a shot and let me know if you run into trouble.

T

jhnrb

cabinet/150 gal/hood

well here we go. following if all works will be a picture of the cabinet, tank, and hood so far. if it works more to come.

1664IM001381-med.JPG

jhnrb

post success

well obviously I managed to get a picture of the cabinet/tank/and hood into the thread. no small task for me but a big thanks to travis for the help. easy when you know what you are doing. gee where have we heard that before. thanks alot for all the help. now that I know how to do it I will post more pic's as the project developes. again thanks for the help.

mkpaulson

Looks like you're off to a good start, I hope everything goes well for you in getting it up and running and can wait to see the progress take place. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gina

RS STAFF
Nice set up! Looks like you've planned out everything in advance! Can't wait till you start filling it!

jhnrb

The tank cabinet has now been cut, thin crush board installed under tank, tank replaced and leveled, backing installed. I have been playing with some 3/16" thick by 1" wide carved wood strips to install at the back side corners and front corners of the glass tank between the cabinet and hood. liked it so will also install at the top and bottom edges of the cabinet and hood (picture framed). will stain/seal and attach (glue?) to glass. pic's when done, next week maybe. I'll go light on the adhesive in case it becomes to gaudy, but, think it will be ok.

Last edited:

jhnrb

quick update. got caught up in a remodel of the bosses craft room so not much progress, however, have the contractor scheduled to build the equipemnt shed as that is the only way it will get done next month. hope to have some new pic's couple weeks and then hopefully fairly regular after that as progress continues.

jhnrb

new pic's in gallery. installed drain line and feed line through floor. 3" drain and 1 1/2" return. cabinet floor is in and screwed down to subfloor. finished carved strips at corners and top and bottom bounderies of aquaium.

jhnrb

new pics in gallery

Ive posted some new pics in my gallery. under cabinet plumbing is in. just need to connect the hoses up. installed two of the 3" ice cap cooling fans. decided to mount on the outside of canopy and will box in, stain and seal to match canopy with opening looking down to direct any light leakage to the floor. holes cut as large as possible to allow for bypass if needed incase exhaust fans pull more than input fans. more pics when the fans are boxed in. :time:

jhnrb

I have posted new pics in PHOTO GALLERY/EQUIPEMENT AND SET UP of the continued developement of the Canopy. I'm waiting for the PFO 6500 k fixtures to arive as they have to be installed before the mh go in. fan covers for top exhaust fans are being stained and sealed which will complete canopy work except for hanging rest of lights. all holes are in place in top and the exhaust fans have been tried with covers over to see how noisy. well you can hear them but not too badly and thats not bad at 108 cfm per fan. the covers helped a lot to deaden the sound and they will only come on if the hood overheats at predetermined temperatures and shut off at predetermined temps. I have a neptune aquacontroller with 3 dc4 outlets assemblies comming which will control the hood lighting and fans. Im going to start working on the dry base rock next and start to develope the reef base. while waiting for last of equipment to arrive. i also have a moon light system left over from my last reef ( partly a diy excpt for controller) will mount and post pic soon. Still no word on the equipment shed. guess I'll have to call. guess i should not have cancelled as i apparently am not on the front burnner presently, but, i can fix that. well thats about it for now. more pics soon.

Last edited:

jhnrb

covers for the canopy exhaust fans are in and canopy mounted back on the aquarium. i also installed some 3/4" weather strip (soft foam) to the top of the aquarium out side frame edge. this allows for a 1/4" space to the inside of the frame lip which is even with the canopy. i will run a small bead of silicone around this inside joint to keep out water and salt creep. pictures in gallery and in photo gallery equipment thread