I'm confused...Kalk dosing through ATO

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Other than the cutting of labor, if working on a reef tank is really considered mere labor, what advantages does a kalk reactor have over hand mixed Kalkwasser. There are obvious differences in money involved. But what are the returns for that money. It would seem that unless one had a separate ATO and Kalk reactor system with its own pump or pump and timer, one would be either supplying Kalkwasser always at full saturation as ATO water and possibly causing the use of too much Kalkwasser being or that separate systems would be needed so that only part of the ATO water would go through the Kalk reactor and therefore meaning basically that almost two full two ATO systems would have to be set up meaning a substantial expenditure of money for a savings in labor. My experience with a Kalk reactor were from clear back in the days when they were stirrer systems, and the acrylic retail models tended to wear out their bottoms. I have no experience with Kalk Reactors using pumps, timers or controls.
I do not mean to be critical or anything I am just curious if there are really any advantages to using a Kalk reactor over hand mixing, considering potential total costs involved, other than convenience and labor saving.

hma

Hi fatman, concerning the advantages of a kalkreactor I am absolutely of your opinion. There is compared with the dosage by hand (or Dosing pump (Two part /Balling method)) absolutely NO advantages. On the contrary, there can be serious disadvantages, as I already wrote in a previous post, if one is not very careful.

To enumerate only some possible disadvantages: an absolutely exact one and the consumption of Ca & KH conformist dosage is almost impossible, at least very difficult. By a possible leakage in the CO2 circulation or drily run of the reactor it can come to an extreme rubbish of the PH in the aquarium, absolutely dangerously for fish and corals. Though such things happen very seldom, but they can happen, a reason why I does not use the kalkreactor for a long time any more for my reef aquarium.

With the Two part or Balling methode you can use a kind of the dosage substantially surer and also more exact. Moreover, one can add other things to the system are perhaps necessary without having to change kind and amount of the dosage. Because in all cases a regular measurement of the values is necessary, I see ALL advantages unambiguously exclusively with these two methods of the dosage.

The possible higher content of salts (NaCl) one would have e.g., with use of the Two part method, calcium, magnesium as well as sodium exist to the biggest part of NaCL and raise with it the salinity and with it also the density (even if minimally), you can equalise by use of NaCl free salt , thus the possible disadvantages described by Boomer Not longer are given.

Octoman

By a possible leakage in the CO2 circulation or drily run of the reactor it can come to an extreme rubbish of the PH in the aquarium, absolutely dangerously for fish and corals.

A CO2 leak can be extremely dangerous to the humans in the house as well...

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thank you Heinz for your reply. Obviously I need to read up on the balling method. I do get tired of juggling to maintain good levels of calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. In general I do not have a problem with to much Kalkwasser use as I have a heavy calcium demand in my tanks and I run less than saturated Kalkwasser as ATO water. I do not run a calc reactor so have no CO2 gas leaks to worry about. I do daily automatic water changes and also use other supplementations regularly to maintain calcium, alkalinity and also magnesium occasionally. I would prefer that the other supplementation be easier and more precise, and I have an outstanding water preparation filtration system and do not keep fish so I have few phosphate problems ever, so the precipitation of phosphates by Kalkwasser properties is not really necessary most likely. I will definitely look at the material on the balling method.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Heinz

Your post is a little confusing and needs some clarification :) There are Calcium Reactors and Kalk Reactors, which you know are not the same. I think it is just the German term, Kalkreactor = Calcium Reactor but it is going to confuse people in the USA.. Kalk Reactors, that dispenses Kalk, Ca(OH)2, do not use CO2 and is bad for the reactor. CO2 is almost always a Calcium Reactor issue, which is dissolving CaCO3. It is very bad , IMHO, to use the term Kalkreactor, as almost all will take it as Kalk = Ca(OH)2, here. In German terms, a Kalkreactor uses CaCO3 . Kalk here, is a short cut from the German word, "Kalkwasser". In my post above, when I used the term Kalk reactor I meant in a Kalkwasser Reactor. Almost all in this hobby here, that see the term Kalk Reactor are thinkin'' Ca(OH)2, Kalk

I know, I know, you posted pic of the two up the thread with a pros and cons. :) Just wanted to make things more clear :D

What is Kalkwasser? and how do I apply it to my reef aquarium?

DIY Kalk Reactor
DIY Nilsen (Kalkwasser) Reactor

Manufactured and the pic you posted earlier
AquaCare - "Kalkwasser" reactor - KWR

There was also this error in your post

- admit only calcium, no Carbonate

Yes, it does produce carbonate, that is how it raised the pH and dKH

Ca(OH)2----> Ca ++ + 2 OH

2 OH + 2CO2 -----> 2HCO3- = bicarbonate

The pH will dictate how much Carbonate, CO3-- or Bicarboante, HCO3- there will be. It can me seen here visually

Though such things happen very seldom, but they can happen, a reason why I does not use the kalkreactor for a long time any more for my reef aquarium.

I think we are getting way to carried away with this caution. 1000's of people use them with no issues. All such Ca++ and dkh sup system have their problems. They are all a choice on what one to use. Just the other day Sanjay lost 1/4 of his 500 gal tank form a power-head fan tip falling off. The now jet like narrow stream output blew a hole in his SB bottom and dispersed sand all over his coral causing die of of allot of tissue on some:(

Attachments

• Figure1.jpg
    Figure1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 77

hma

Thanks Boomer for the clarification, unfortunately, the delicacies of the English language are not familiar to me very much, but I learn every day more and more.

As I wrote, I use a calcium reactor (as to see in the picture above) for my breeding aquariums, am absolutely familiar with the technology and the chemical dependence. in the meantime, nevertheless, the use is, because there are by far better possibilities, at least in my eyes doubtfully. I will move during the next months all my aquariums on an automatic maintenance with the Balling method. It is a contemporary as well as sure method slightly to be carried out of the maintenance.

Of course one can use calcium reactor as well as kalk reactor further, but both are not the optimum in my eyes.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Well Heniz I lived in Germany as you know for awhile but we don't want go there with my German ;) As I will be really lost in the Fog Bank :lol: 30 years ago was a long time :)

jackers

I have the below listed unit with the low voltage upgrade.

Double Switch Auto Top Off Controller

You will first need to get your pump and resevoir figured out. I use an aqualifter pump and a 20 gallon tall tank. The aqualifter is controlled by the auto top off controller. When the float switch falls low enough, the pump is turned on by the controller. The pump is pulling water out of my resevoir and pumping into my kalk reactor. The RODI water then goes through kalk reactor and into my sump.

This setup is good because you don't have the limewater (kalkwasser) clogging up the float switch as with some other level control systems. Also, you might want to put a check valve between the pump and reactor to keep the limewater from getting to your pump.

To me, adding an ATO with a kalk reactor is the best thing since sliced bread.

God bless,
Chris

What Kalk reactor are you using? I add about 1 gallon a day as top off water, is that too little of an amount for a kalk reactor?