I Got A Puppy!!

elliottb

It is really amazing how smart border collies are. Some of my friends have dogs, and I take a look at them and they know the basic commands just like many dogs do, but then I take a look at mine and think how much smarter shep is. He knows arounf 30 commands ranging from sit to shake (to get water off) and paw, and jump, to go potty! Yes, sheppy go potty is a command! and he knows it too, which is the funny part.

BarbMazz

My border collie/lab mix responds to my hand too! Finger for sit etc... must be in their makeup to be very observant. He also knows many words - he knows when he's in trouble and I tell him timeout - he heads for the garage door - he hates to be away from me so when he is being "bad" (usually barking at me when I'm on the phone) I tell him "timeout" and he sulks into the garage... I let him stay there for about 2 minutes and he behaves after that!

All dogs watch our body language first before they hear/understand our speech. That's how they communicate with each other so that is innate with them. My dogs all know hand signals as well. I used them while using the clickers. They especially watch eyes and body position/stance. Words are MUCH more difficult for dogs to understand because you must use the same word and inflection each time for them to get it. They read our bodies in the blink of an eye!

Here's really interesting information for those of you inclined;
Turid Rugaas - Calming Signals Community

It's all about 'calming signals' and the body language dogs use to communicate and calm stress within their own community and how we can learn and use those same signals to understand our dogs behaviors and feelings better. It's really good stuff!

kathywithbirds

That's funny, Cargo takes much more notice when I straighten my back and stop what I'm doing (sort of like waiting for him to hear what I"ve said and comply) after I tell him something... he's got sit and paw and we're going for "down," and he kinda does get "go potty." I try to only say it when he's gotta go so he can go, adn the odds of him doing it after I say it just kinda lead me to believe he's kinda getting it.

elliottb

That's funny, Cargo takes much more notice when I straighten my back and stop what I'm doing (sort of like waiting for him to hear what I"ve said and comply) after I tell him something... he's got sit and paw and we're going for "down," and he kinda does get "go potty." I try to only say it when he's gotta go so he can go, adn the odds of him doing it after I say it just kinda lead me to believe he's kinda getting it.

Thats how it was with shep for a while too, then one day I said go potty as a joke when we were in the house and he ran over to the back door and I let him out. Then he proceeded to lift his leg next to a bush! When I say go potty and he doesnt have to go, he wales around this one path we have in the back yard and then hell come back to the door.

Jeremy0322

Well this is an OLD thread but I figured I took new pics of Tyco so I might as well put them here. Looking back through alot has changes, the clicker worked for a while but he is smart enough that we use hand signals now for sit, lay, come, and that sort of thing. Here he is!

CIMG5746.jpg

CIMG5748.jpg

CIMG5749.jpg

CIMG5752.jpg

CIMG5753.jpg

Jeremy0322

Figured I would inform everyone about Tycos new Buddy. A family friend of ours just had a litter of Lab puppies, and after some deliberation we decided another puppy would be a load of fun, so we told them we would take one of the male yellow labs. When my father and step mother got there he had a wrinkley face, to which my fathers only response was "he looks like Winston Churchill". Well, that was his name from that point on, and last night Winston arrived at his new home! 8 weeks and 1 day old.

CIMG5964.jpg

CIMG6004.jpg

CIMG6006.jpg

CIMG5971.jpg

He decided to help me install the lock on the stand, such a big help....

ReefLady

Staff member
Omigosh...so sweet! I love my Yellow labs. Just remember the one rule of thumb with lab puppies - if it's not nailed down, they'll eat it. We lost countless gloves, remote controls, pencils, legos, you name it. :) Cutie!!!!!!

jgking21

He's awesome! My brother's lab just went over 100 lbs, this one looks like he might be on his way! I've got a tooties roll for a beagle, but he's my buddy. How is Tyco handling the addition?

mps9506

Omigosh...so sweet! I love my Yellow labs. Just remember the one rule of thumb with lab puppies - if it's not nailed down, they'll eat it. We lost countless gloves, remote controls, pencils, legos, you name it. :) Cutie!!!!!!

Ditto. I lost a couple of girlfriends when my guy ate designer purses, shoes, belts and sunglasses that I couldn't afford to replace. He never ate my stuff, just the girlfriends... Guess he figured they weren't good enough for me :D

ReefLady

Staff member
Mike - ROFL....the dog was trying to tell you something. You made me remember a nice new pair of black leather boots I had bought.... LOL

Nothing worse though, than standing at the counter of the cable company -- *Um, could I get a new remote? My dog ate mine....*.

Jeremy0322

They are handling each other pretty well, Tyco is enjoying the new partner in crime, the puppy has almost enough energy to keep up with him most of the time :lol:

mps9506

One of our customers just got their house foreclosed on and they are trying to find a new home for their dog, and he looks a lot like Tyco :(
It is sad. The kids are heartbroken, but they have to move into an apartment that didn't allow dogs I guess.

Jeremy0322

One of our customers just got their house foreclosed on and they are trying to find a new home for their dog, and he looks a lot like Tyco :(
It is sad. The kids are heartbroken, but they have to move into an apartment that didn't allow dogs I guess.

Get me some information on the dog if you can, we love adopting animals and then finding them good homes. We have done it for a few dogs and cats so far, and every now and then find one that gets adopted into our home, which would be part of the reason why there are 6 dogs here right now. :smack:

mps9506

This dog will find a good home :) I don't do any fostering myself (my dog is old and getting grouchy, he doesn't like to share me), but a few of my friends help foster and place dogs with good homes. I make sure they stay well fed and get neutered or spayed and immunized if they aren't already.

Jeremy0322

This dog will find a good home :) I don't do any fostering myself (my dog is old and getting grouchy, he doesn't like to share me), but a few of my friends help foster and place dogs with good homes. I make sure they stay well fed and get neutered or spayed and immunized if they aren't already.

We stay on very very good terms with one of the local veterinary surgeons which is local to me, and she does all of the fixings for very cheap. Its a nice deal considering we have done about 1 a month on average for 2 years :lol: