Help again...

KimPossible

I think that my 200W Ebo heater is the culprit. I just added a second heater to the sump and set it at 81. We'll see how that goes.

My tank's temp is currently at 77.8 deg. My zoas are upset and shrooms are all shriveled up.

KimPossible

Temp is stable. I took the 200watt out and replaced it with the 150.

My eagle eye zoas are toast and my Anthia is swimming around, stable again.
He was in bottom corner laboring while the temp was low.

I will order the Controller, for my own sanity.

Thanks for helping me out everyone. And thanks for the hug Rhonda :)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Kim ? you think this was all from the heater? sorry for your loss, karma on the way. Steve

KimPossible

No.... the tank was stable for 1 hr. .... the chiller is off now.

More of my zoas and palys are gonners, released themselves from the rock. I am up to 79 right now.

I am worried about my shrooms and Anthias now. The quick increase and decrease in temp has wrecked havoc on my system.

I am not going to turn the chiller back on until I have the Controller Doni suggested.

lcstorc

I woud do some testing of the chiller. It sounds like something is wrong with either the heater or the chiller and if it is the chiller then you should return it. I set my chiller and leave it be and it keeps the tank temp in a 3 degree window. I don't run a heater on my system since I broke it and we live in FL.
Sorry you are losing corals. Things will start looking up soon.

KimPossible

I have no clue right now :stars:

My temp got up to 83.2 over night. I took the first heater out and replaced it with another yesterday. It was set at 79 and when I woke around 2 am to check...the heater light was still on! I have 4 petsmart thermeters in different locations so I can feel somewhat confident with the readings.

I have no submersible pumps other than the skimmer.

My chiller is still off. I can't have 5 degree temp swings in an hours time.

I know I cant have temps as high as 83.

I moved the heater from the sump chamber into the fuge chamber where flow is less turbulant. Once I did this ...and the tiniest tap of the heater itself, the heating light went off.

I wont be home from work until 6pm tonight....so...I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens :(

KimPossible

Thanks Lynn, I'm afraid to do testing on the chiller. It is still plumbed.
What do you suggest?

I have never had a chiller before this upgrade, but I have always run a heater and I'm in AZ. I run my tanks at a steady 80 give or take a couple tenths of a degree.

I sure hope I dont go home to a crashed tank:cry1:

Thanks Doni ~

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Is the temperature in your home stable? If so leave the heater and chiller off until you figure this out. The ambient room temperature should keep the tank at a steady state, rather than those kinds of temperature swings.

lcstorc

I hope not either.
Can you turn off the pump to the display and do some tests with just the sump water? Or somehow isolate the chiller to see if it is cooling properly and if the thermostat is correct. I agree that I would not test it on the display since you have livestock. Does the chiller pull water from the sump and then return it to the sump? You may want to check the water flow pattern to see if the chiller water is going directly to the heater or something like that. That may not be the problem at all but it would be something to look at anyway.
Hope everything is fine when you get home.

KimPossible

Is the temperature in your home stable? If so leave the heater and chiller off until you figure this out. The ambient room temperature should keep the tank at a steady state, rather than those kinds of temperature swings.

Thats a good idea Scott... I wish I was home :tears:

Lynn~ My return line pulls water directly from the fuge which is heated, draws warm water it into the chiller and then pumps directly into the tank.

My thought is... if my heater is set for 80 the temp should never get lower than that. If my chiller is set for 81 the temp should never get higher.

Just before turning off the chiller, I had the Heater set at 79 and the Chiller at 82....and was getting RAPID wild temp swings...!

mps9506

I'm a big fan of the Ranco controller. I installed one at an account right before I took a new job. It seemed to work great. I have no experience with using the dual stage unit with a chiller though. I just used it to make sure the tank didn't fry from a heater thermostat sticking on.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
For a small price difference, you might as well purchase a controller that will control not only the temp (heat/cooling) but also many other things.

KimPossible

Well, I'm home...the heater is now unplugged. Temp was at 83.6 !
How is it that the first heater an Iwaki 200 malfunctioned and now the 150 is having problems. That doesn't make sense.

thought: temp is climbing without any imput from heaters. I have a maxijet 1200 for my skimmer and a sequencing unit from Oceans Motion, 2 NON submersable mag5's,, lights and thats it. Ballists are completely separate from the fixture.

To make things worse, I have no choice but to meet with clients in Tulsa OK this coming Friday to go over financials and then facility capabilities until Wed. That means I will be gone for 6 days ! My mom is feeding the fish..................................................................................

Chiller is off... Heaters are off. I will monitor with these changes.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
so you have a few days to figure this out, lets see some sump pics for a start, safest bet is a couple of fans and a new heater