Help again...

KimPossible

I am having a serious swing in temps. My chiller was set at 80 and my heater at 81...with that I was running at 78.5. I set my chiller to 81 and my temp to 81 and was running at 81.5....then the next time I looked it was at 79.5 . I set my heater to 82 and my chiller at 81 and now I'm at 81.5.

I have a feeling that my new ewaki heater is malfunctuing. I have never had a flux in temperatures like this before. Then again I have never had a chiller!

I just recently added my lighting. I was pretty consistent when the chiller didnt have to turn on. Even though....heat doesn't seem to be an issue...it is the cooler temps. I have run my set ups at least at 80 deg. consistantly for 4 yrs now.

KimPossible

The intake line to the chiller is about 1.5ft long. The line to the tank return bulk head is maybe 2'..... And I have a 50 watt light over my cheato in the cabinet shining on all the lines.

KimPossible

The sensor is somewhere in the chiller. Right now tank temp is 78.5
Chiller reads 80. Fuge reads 78.8 !! WTH!!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sounds like a bum sensor in the chiller, there supposed to be good to what ? 1 degree? call the manufacturer.

murkywaters

is it an electronic thermometer? maybe it's malfunctioning or like Steve implied it's may be the sensor malfunctioning or is getting alternately hit by the heated water and the chilled water. I'm sure he'll correct me if I misinterpreted

KimPossible

My sump is 30L X 14W X 16H. I have 18 gallons in it. The heater is in the first chamber. The line travels 1.5' through a wall into a cabinet to the chiller and from the chiller 2' to the return bulk head.

There is a meter on the chiller that reads 80. My Sharp PH/Water Temp probe in the tank reads 78.5 and the same probe reads 78.8 in the fuge.

KimPossible

are all of them swinging widely? or just one?
tank and fuge are between .3 degrees...chiller is off a whole 1.2 deg.

Ok, that sounds like the calibration in the chiller is out to lunch
sometimes I feel like crying. If it's not one thing it's another and I'm getting tired.

Do you think that the chiller needs some stabilization time since I added my lights ? ...no, they run cool since the ballasts are separate from the fixture and are on a separate cabinet...crap....

murkywaters

tank and fuge are between .3 degrees...chiller is off a whole 1.2 deg.

sometimes I feel like crying. If it's not one thing it's another and I'm getting tired.

No I meant you said you were having wild fluctuations on your temperature. are all the thermometers fluctuating or just one. Or did you mean the different sensors didn't read the same. I'm confused now. LOL

I'm sending you a hug so you won't cry. I'll send karma when it lets me again

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
(Thread moved to equipment.)

Kim, I see a few problems. First, the device you're using to measure the temp in the main display is probably not calibrated exactly like the chiller thermometer so expect a bit of difference in the two... Second, it sounds as though your heater is just before the chiller input? Water downstream of a heater will naturally have "hot spots" when the heater is on. Make sure you're not running the heater and chiller at the same time...

You can work around the issues above or... install a controller. ONE controller, one thermometer that turns both the heater and chiller on when needed. That way you don't worry about a malfunctioning heater or chiller and it takes care of the temp for you. A great controller is the Reefkeeper2. Super easy to install and use. It will take care of most of your needs.

KimPossible

First, the device you're using to measure the temp in the main display is probably not calibrated exactly like the chiller thermometer so expect a bit of difference in the two...
true... ok...

Make sure you're not running the heater and chiller at the same time...
That's the plan. I want my tank at 80 deg. My heater has to be set near 81.5 to achieve something near that and the chiller at 81, even then...the chiller will start to read 78.7,,,,79.2,,,, 77.5 !! ,,,, and of course the chiller isn't even cooling.

I have never even had to ask the question, but what is a safe cooler tank temp?

Reefkeeper 2 it is. Where did you buy yours? I need to feel confident that my equipment is working. If it is not then....ANYTHING.... could happen, and I won't ever leave the house :bouncebox

Newtons law....:drown: I'm leaving town this week. My mother is house/fish sitting.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Digital Aquatics 2006 is where I got my RK2. Another type of controller is the Aquacontroller JR. They are similar to eachother but the ACjr. will require programming. The programming is simple strings of commands that you enter to tell the controller what to do. If the idea of programming does not intrest you, just get the RK2. It is a plug-n-play unit.

I have since upgraded from my RK2 to a Neptune Aquacontroller III.

For a full comparison of controllers available: Aquarium Controller Comparison Chart