Frankie's 120gal. glass experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Doni! i will go and get this stuff for the food today. Give me a moment and i ill get a shot of the underside.

Frankie

RS STAFF
How is this? I will get a better one when the MH's come on it you need it. Thanks for the help Doni!

Attachments

• 000_1522_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1522_edited (Custom).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 59

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am pretty sure that is a gigantea carpet anemone. Do a google search and read up on all the info you can. They are the largest and most difficult to keep in captivity. I have only owned haddoni carpet anemones (supposedly the easiest of the carpets).

hma

Agree 100% Doni. That is a Condylactis gigantea.

Here a picture of my Condy…

Condylactis%20gigantea.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Well I am a little disgruntled. It appears i have one of the hardest to keep anemones out there. But, I like a challenge ;) Let see what all these years of rare successes have gotten me shale we? :D I will need all the support i can get from you all! So post away!

blue_eyes53813

Awesome looking anemone and sun corals Frank.. Did you have to do anything special for the sun corals to open like that?

I think my carpet might be a gigantea too?? Not sure though, If you find any good reading on them will you post it please. The base of mine looks spotted like yours. None of my clowns will go near the anemone. I have a maroon gold stripe and a pair of orange skunk clowns.. They stay FARRRRRRRR away from it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I took some more pictures of this monster.
I dug a hole and buried its foot in the sand then placed some rocks next to it. It creeped up onto the rock. It's kinda cool the way it is attached! I did some reading up on Stichodactyla gigantea.
It was suggested that i place it in the manner i just described and it would go either in the sand or onto the rock. I guess it likes the rock! Here are some more pictures with a good under side for Doni.
I also got all eight moon lights up! I am going to run them 24/7. One less timer will be good.
The clown seem to be warming up to it now also btw. :whstlr:

Attachments

• 000_1527_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1527_edited (Custom).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 000_1528_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1528_edited (Custom).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 000_1529_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1529_edited (Custom).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 72
  • 000_1531_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1531_edited (Custom).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 72

Frankie

RS STAFF
Not the greatest pictures this morning but i thought i would show what i woke up to. :D

Attachments

• 000_1533_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1533_edited (Custom).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 000_1534_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1534_edited (Custom).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 000_1535_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1535_edited (Custom).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 67

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yay!! They found it! What a beautiful family they make :thumbup:
That gigantea is awesome Frankie. Don't get too disgruntled, there are reefers out there that have kept them successfully. :)

blue_eyes53813

Ahhhh very Nice.. From doing some searches on the stichodactyla family , I think I have a mertensii... My carpet seems to be a non stinging anemone though but looks like a mertensii from pictures.. Im gonna do some more searching today... Awesome looking anemone Frankie

Frankie

RS STAFF
Agree 100% Doni. That is a Condylactis gigantea.

Here a picture of my Condy…

Condylactis%20gigantea.jpg
Hate to tell you this hma but thats a bleached out seabae anemone i found out. It is bleached out deliberately by keeping it in the dark. I also found out that they die after a few months to a year also.

Status
Not open for further replies.