diemakers 650 build

LakeLivin

I overfill the sump a bit during water changes with saltwater not just regular RO. It's just something I do because I always mix more saltwater than I actually end up using to ensure I do not come up short by accidentally taking out more saltwater than I planned during water changes. I only add an extra gallon or two of whatever salt water I have left over. My water evaporates like crazy so it just gives me an extra day or two between fill ups of the ATO reservoir.

Diemaker

yzera8yr.jpg
thoughts on this ?

Sent from my space ship

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice looking rock - like the cave and swim throughs... & you will have lots of places to mount corals

I usually end up changing mine a few times in the 1st weeks ;) 650 are sooooo big you have so many options - great start !

salty23

Nice Scape and beautiful clean rocks! Im planning to scape mine on Friday as well! Did you put the rocks against the back wall? Also how many LBS of sand did you end up using?
Whats your plan on cycling the tank? Thanks

Diemaker

I ended up with 150lbs of sand some of the rocks or touching the back wall but I left lots of room for circulation back there. I'm going to cycle with a deli shrimp and ride it out

Sent from my space ship

Diemaker

My god as I'm waiting for my tank to cycle I've started programming my apex this port forwarding stuff is a bloody nightmare at best what a run around I hope the fushion is up real soon

What every one doing with there mp40 using the stock controller or the XML ?

Sent from my space ship

LakeLivin

The skies the limit for what you can do with the MP40 using APEX. Most setup programs to run different modes throughout the day and at different power settings. Here's an example of how I have my master MP40 setup.

Fallback ReefCrst
Set ReefCrst
If Time 05:01 to 15:00 Then Lagoon
If Time 15:01 to 23:00 Then ReefCrst
If Time 23:45 to 05:00 Then Nutrient

Diemaker

man i set the new MP40's up today all I can say is wow. They are way over priced but these things rock. not to sure about this stock skimmer but I'll give it a couple of mths. Now I have to wait for the cycle to start and finish but it gives me some time to clean up the wiring and install the apex

Diemaker

ok I have done a search of the forums but finding it hard to find my answer how did everyone stop the micro bubbles from the skimmer from making it to the DT?

I find it strange that the feed line for the skimmer is tee off the return pump I've always tee it off the line feeding the sump so you get the water right from the over flow

oh I also tried the discharge of the skimmer in to the first chamber that the over flow comes in too but doesn't make a diff

Wolffman64

ok I have done a search of the forums but finding it hard to find my answer how did everyone stop the micro bubbles from the skimmer from making it to the DT?

I find it strange that the feed line for the skimmer is tee off the return pump I've always tee it off the line feeding the sump so you get the water right from the over flow

oh I also tried the discharge of the skimmer in to the first chamber that the over flow comes in too but doesn't make a diff

I have the output of the skimmer into the first chamber (where the overflow comes in), and am running it through a filter sock, with virtually no micro bubbles.

Choff

Hey Die, like the rock scape! Looks like going through the standard rsm startup this that tripped up all of us. Sounds like you have a good handle on it now.

...stupid auto correct

Diemaker

Thanks Choff, it's getting there now that it's up a running I'm thinking she needs some more rock. Also noticed that I had the skimmer air tube hooked up wrong DUH LOL. I'm just waiting on my JBJ Chiller so I can hook up the chiller, all my apex stuff and dosing pumps on that side of the tank stand.
Has anyone had any luck running the dosing pumps from the basement? not sure if the pumps will have enough head pressure to push up that high.

Choff

I don't think the pumps will have any trouble, but what I think you will need to keep an eye on is the liquid in that long of a line caking and clogging.

My only experience with peristaltic pumps was a few months back I was vinegar dosing. Every minute the pump pushes a small amount of fluid into the line. No fluid actually comes out the other end until the line is full.

I'm sure some others will come in if it's a concern or not.

...stupid auto correct

Diemaker

I ordered a dosing unit so I will set the unit up in the ceiling of the basement so its only a few feet below the sump and install check valves just in case. I'm looking for ideas or suggestions on pumps to run my chiller I ended up going with the JBJ arctic DBM-250 which is asking for 480GPH to a max of 2100 GPH. I would like something that is going to be quiet and live a long and happy life

Diemaker

qy9e3yma.jpg

These circulation pumps are driving me nuts kicking the sand everywhere I have them pointed straight at the glass if they are aimed any higher it will start draining the tank on to the floor. Any ideas to fix this issue

Sent from my space ship

LakeLivin

qy9e3yma.jpg

These circulation pumps are driving me nuts kicking the sand everywhere I have them pointed straight at the glass if they are aimed any higher it will start draining the tank on to the floor. Any ideas to fix this issue

Sent from my space ship

Seeing you have MP40's I would turn off the circulation pumps. I talked about doing it a couple times in my thread. Just did not see the need for them and felt they interfered with the currents/flow the MP40's were trying to create. Can't tell for sure by looking at your pictures but it looks like you have some pretty fine sand like mine. The sand "thickens" up over time and is not so easy to fly away at the slightest wave like when it was new. At first I had to run my MP40's at very low speeds to keep from moving around too much sand, but since the sand has matured/thickened up over the last couple months I have been able to increase the power on the pumps without creating a sand storm and it's working very well now.

Play around with turning off the circulation pumps and see what you think. They are necessary if you do not add non stock equipment like a pair of MP40's, but I don't find them necessary at all and actually create problems with excess heat and too much flow blowing in one direction constantly if you have other pumps added to the tank. On a 600 you essentially have 7 pumps blowing into your tank. 4 circulation pumps, 1 main return pump and 2 MP40's. It's a wonder your rocks don't get blown over. :) Experiment a bit and see what you think. I'm using the stock circulation pumps as spares to the pumps I use to pump water during water changes and to mix salt in my mixing barrell as well as pumping water from my clean water barrel into my auto topoff refill jug. They have come in handy and my tank does not miss them and I believe does better without them.