diemakers 650 build

Diemaker

Hi all I just ordered a new 650 and I need to make 2 hour trip to pick it up with my pickup truck. I'm wondering what the shipping weight is the shipping company posted 1620lbs with there tracking info but I'm pretty sure that's a mistake.

Sailagain

re: diemakers 650 build

Hi all I just ordered a new 650 and I need to make 2 hour trip to pick it up with my pickup truck. I'm wondering what the shipping weight is the shipping company posted 1620lbs with there tracking info but I'm pretty sure that's a mistake.

That's probably correct

Are you going to uncrate it and transport it? A lot of the weight is the wood its crated in and pallet it is shipped on.

Diemaker

That's probably correct

Are you going to uncrate it and transport it? A lot of the weight is the wood its crated in and pallet it is shipped on.

I hadn't planned to but now I'm thinking it may be better to use a covered cargo trailer

Nob35

Yes the crate is about 3'x7'x4' so the weight is probably really close to what they said, the tank alone is 310lbs.
The sump is another 100 and canopy is probably about 80. The stand is around 100 also. So that will be 600 lbs
Without any of other parts or packaging.

Nob35

By the way if you are picking up the tank yourself, make sure when you get it home you have at least 3 other people to help off load out of truck or trailer as the tank is very hard to move with just 2 or 3 people. It would probably be a good idea to uncrate it at the LFS to make sure you have everything and nothing is broke before taking it home. Will need a screwdriver and hammer to uncrate it.

Hope this helps and good luck. Look forward to following your thread on the build, it will keep you busy for a day or 2.

Diemaker

If I uncrate it will it be easy to put back in the crate or I should just ditch the crate? Like I sad I have a two hour trip each way and border to cross. On second thought it may be better opened for inspection at the border....

Nob35

I would go with out the crate as it will be easier making sure you can secure everything without having to try and pack everything back in it. You will see when you open it, everything has to be in its right place to fit in the crate. Plus it will be easier than unpacking it in the back of a truck or trailer. If you have a forklift it would be no problem but not everyone has that luxury. I have a 2 car garage and un packing all the pieces and putting them where I could see which was which took all the space in it.

Diemaker

I spoke to the not so LFS and he was informed from the shipping company that the weight is for 2 systems
That makes a little more sense to me so it's 810lbs with packing.
Tank should be there tonight and ill pick it up on tues or wed. :winner:

Nob35

That seems a little low as the base components are over 600 lbs, but if it is correct that should make it much easier to load in the back of a truck. If I had to guess the crating alone on mine was about 200lbs. 1600 seemed a little high also if I were asked I would have said 1000 to 1200lbs.

It is a great system and if you need help the videos on YouTube are great for the build. The instructions for mine and the video did not show how to put together the electrical drawer and framing as they were for the 400 and 500, but once you get the rest of the cabinet together it is easy to figure out how it goes together.

Good luck and look forward to seeing it come together.

Choff

Gratz on the tank! I what trim did you get?

My LFS unpacked it and delivered it in a reg van. Someone posted a pic of the crate, couldn't believe how big it was.

I think you want to unpack on the spot for several reasons. Prove anything was broken in transit and not by your 2 hour drive (although red Sea support is great and doubt you would have any hassels) and the border crossing.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Diemaker

I got the white trim I like the look and am hoping it will cut down on noticeable salt creep a little

Nob35

The white is very easy to clean as far as the outside goes and I have yet to see any salt creep. Only salt has been from drips when working in tank and all it takes is a quick wipe and its gone. I think I'm much happier with the white than I would have been with any of the other colors as I would have been constantly wiping down the others to keep every little spot off of it. The white is a bit more forgiving that it does not show the spots nearly as much even though I'm still wiping it down every couple days but that could just be me wanting it to look perfect.

Diemaker

My last tank was all black trim and I was always cleaning something it was a pita. Just trying to decide if I should do the led mod now or wait til spring when I would need a chiller for sure.

Nob35

I decided to do it early because i had a couple weeks while the sump was being modified, so figured i might as well spend the money and get it over with. I would have had no choice in getting a chiller if i had not as our winters are warm.

Right now on warm days the tank is getting up to 80f with a low of 78f on cold days so not much swing. I think the led mod is worth the money as long as you do the research and make sure you get good leds, whether it is a DIY or a complete unit the main thing is do not go with cheap leds. Right now i believe the lowest you want to go would be the 3w cree leds.

Choff

I'm waiting till spring, but mainly because I bought 2 sets of replacement bulbs so I want to burn through those before I upgrade. Also, someone may come up with the custom mod i want. I just want to pull out 3 pair of bulbs and replace with led strips

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Diemaker

I'm going to see what deals around for boxing day and decide from there. Is the return line from the dt plumbed right into the skimmer or into the sump first??

Nob35

The return line has a t that splits the return one side goes to DT and other goes to skimmer. The skimmer side has a ball valve to adjust flow.

Diemaker

Well tank is finally at my house I can't believe how tight they pack all that stuff in. I brok down the carton and put most of the stuff in the back of my truck and he fragile stuff in he back seat loading the tank was a lot easier then I thought