DianaKay's RSM 250

Lexinverts

What's he been doing to your tank? Has he been knocking stuff down like my pencil urchin? ;-) My urchin is starting to drive me crazy!
And in my other tank, I have a sand sifting goby that is constantly dumping sand on my corals, but I can't catch him without dismantling all of my rock work!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
What's he been doing to your tank? Has he been knocking stuff down like my pencil urchin? ;-) My urchin is starting to drive me crazy!
And in my other tank, I have a sand sifting goby that is constantly dumping sand on my corals, but I can't catch him without dismantling all of my rock work!
I wasn't told (and I didn't ask here :( ) that sand sifting stars should only be kept in VERY LARGE, MATURE tanks.
They usually starve to death in small, new tanks. They destroy the microfauna & live critters of a maturing sand bed just eating what they need to survive. I don't think most live a year in a tank mine's size, so I've been lucky he did.
They can grow to 12 inches across. I'm glad he's not in my tank but I hate to have discarded him not knowing if he will be in a good place. :(
They need to stay in the ocean, or super BIG tanks with a mature DSB.

Ashr

Great Coral photos!! We need a FTS update picture too :D
My phosphates were running high (still are!!) but it has dropped from .17 to .08 since I added my sump.
I'm just not going to let the numbers stress me out cause my corals (LPS) all seem to be doing good.

Well that is some good info. What kind of hardware are you using for your sump? I have just got myself a sump but I need an over flow and a skimmer. Any info on your overflow would help a ton 

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Ashr, I have a LifeReef sump & overflow....the overflow from LifeReef reads to be the best for not failing & not causing a flooded floor in the event of a power outage while you are not home.
Read about them here: http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html
I've tested mine lots of times & it stop & re-starts without me having to panic.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Di,:dance:
Are there any starfish species that you know of, which don't grow beyond a few inches? :dunno:
Wayne.
Hello Wayne! The only sea star that I know of that stays small (other than MicroBrittle Stars) is the Tile Star. I think (but not positive!) still will also consume your beneficial microfauna that your tank needs to keep.
It's a beautiful star tho!!...Here's some reading on it http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1261&cid=85
I think I'll just hope my good little micro-brittle stars keep a good population & let them be my only stars :)
Thanks for stoping by again :wave:

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Hi Di,
What is the best way to remove frags from plugs/discs that they have been delivered on?
What is the chance of damaging them in the process?
I'm just working on my rockscaping right now. When the water clears, I'll post some photos for your feedback.
Wayne.

ajbang

oh no - i have one in my tank - he's about 2 inches right now and so far doing well…

how big was yours Diana? maybe I should also start looking for a new home for him as well before he gets too big

52c16c618118fa0e1325adc363851266_zps2a3e793b.jpg
[/IMG]
Said GOODBYE to probably the worst livestock mistake I made so far. I bought him almost a year ago (2-25-2013) and he actually seemed to be doing real good in my tank. But I think my tank will do better without him & it's been bugging me. So today, I took him to the LSF in town & ask them to find him a new home.
I feel guilty :maddown: but I'll get over it.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Diana

How is the POD population doing?

Pods seem to be doing great Ziggy! And I'm excited because my favorite (not so local) LFS sent me a text message that THEY HAVE 2 MANDARINS. So I might go get one before Monday :woohoo: :D

Anthony, my sand sifting star was about 5 inches across. Just since I removed him, I've seen more "life" in my sand bed. Good life, the kind your tank needs to mature properly. I'd advise you to trade your's back in for some sand stirring snails. They won't harm your sand bed, they help keep it clean & aerated.
I have read if they aren't in a matured DSB that they will most likely starve to death. :(
Wish I'd have known that before I got mine...I think they are not good for tanks.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:yehoo::woohoo: i'm going to the fish store tomorrow!! :pBJ::D
I don't get to go very often so IM EXCITED!! :bouncer::bouncer::bouncer:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Have fun Diana!!!! Is it Mandarin time?

Yep!! They have TWO...so if they look like they are healthy, probably going to bring ONE home with me.
Gezzz, hope I get some sleep tonight :LOL: I might be too excited :jumprope:
:zzz:Goodnight...Will UPdate I hope with good news when I get home Sunday :sleeping:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well???????????

I'm still not back home yet....I spend the night with my kids when I drive to NW Arkansas.
But I did go to the LFS here to pick out MY MANDARIN :D
There's a "SOLD" sign on the tank he is in :yehoo: So he will be going home with me later today. :bouncer:
They had a BEAUTIFUL Branching Duncan that I want but I have no place in my tank for it.
I only have space at the TOP & from what I read, they don't like top of the rock scape.
More UPDATES coming later ;)

Paul B

Diana, did you build one of my feeders? They will be your best friend if you do and maybe spawn and invite friends over for dinner

Here is a video of some happy fish. If you put your face close to your monitor, you can see them smile.