DianaKay's RSM 250

ziggy

Diana, if you want to get a mandarin .. Do it. You don't need to worry about it not having anything to eat. I have two in my RSM 250 and my tank is pure stock. no refugium or sump and the mandarin will survive on the critters in your tank that you won't see. Get those mandarin and they are one of the coolest fish that you may get.

how old is your tank

Ashley Hamlett

Screenshot_2013-12-14-13-07-35_zpsb0a860d7.png

This is what I want. Ruby red dragonet

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very Pretty Ashley!
I've never seen one of those...
they look way too delicate for me to consider. :bugout:
Are you planning to find one to buy?
I'm almost certain (being a dragonet) that it will need to be in a tank that has matured for at least a year.
I wish you lots of luck if you get one. :fingerx: :fingerx:

Ashley Hamlett

Yeah, I would like to have one eventually. When my tank is mature enough. They are rare. They're care is the same as the mandarins.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

Paul B

DianaKay I would wait a little longer for that mandarin. 11 months is about half the lifespan of a pod. This one -------------->.<--------------- is 11 months old. Her name is Peggy. Peggy Pod.
I am sure you could keep a mandarin, but they like it better in an older, more mature tank and won't get the horrors after they eat a pod and wonder how far they will have to swim to find another one. :wave:

I was just yelling at my red scooter bleeny for not looking anywhere near as cool as that one.

ziggy

DianaKay I would wait a little longer for that mandarin. 11 months is about half the lifespan of a pod. This one -------------->.<--------------- is 11 months old. Her name is Peggy. Peggy Pod.
I am sure you could keep a mandarin, but they like it better in an older, more mature tank and won't get the horrors after they eat a pod and wonder how far they will have to swim to find another one. :wave:

I was just yelling at my red scooter bleeny for not looking anywhere near as cool as that one.

Paul

If she stocks it with the 1000 that are on their way surely a portion will be breeding stock and a few months from now new babies should be on their way.

No?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Paul, that's what I'm thinking. I can buy and add pods as needed, I don't think they are hard to buy on-line.
My 1st pods are due to arrive maybe today or tomorrow. It's a mixture of Amphipods & Copepods.

I've read somewhere that the Amphipods eat Copepods?? I also want to find out if Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimps eat pods? I have two of them and they constantly pick at the rocks. They spawn frequently also but that food source doesn't last very long.

ziggy

Paul, that's what I'm thinking. I can buy and add pods as needed, I don't think they are hard to buy on-line.
My 1st pods are due to arrive maybe today or tomorrow. It's a mixture of Amphipods & Copepods.

I've read somewhere that the Amphipods eat Copepods?? I also want to find out if Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimps eat pods? I have two of them and they constantly pick at the rocks. They spawn frequently also but that food source doesn't last very long.

Are you moving ahead with the rock rubble pile for them?

In the DT or elsewhere, or both?

Paul B

If she stocks it with the 1000 that are on their way surely a portion will be breeding stock and a few months from now new babies should be on their way.

I never bought anything live on line so I can't comment on store bought pods. I assume they will breed in a tank but take into consideration that maybe a third of them will be homely pods and will not be able to find another pod who may consider himself better looking and will hold out for a batch of Supermodel pods which I guess would cost a lot more, but eat a lot less. I have amphipods and copepods in my tank, I can't tell if any of them are eating each other but sometimes I see the larger amphipods carrying tiny bottles of ketchup so maybe they are, who knew.

You can order them from here:

Wolffman64

I never bought anything live on line so I can't comment on store bought pods. I assume they will breed in a tank but take into consideration that maybe a third of them will be homely pods and will not be able to find another pod who may consider himself better looking and will hold out for a batch of Supermodel pods which I guess would cost a lot more, but eat a lot less. I have amphipods and copepods in my tank, I can't tell if any of them are eating each other but sometimes I see the larger amphipods carrying tiny bottles of ketchup so maybe they are, who knew.

Just accidentally sprayed my screen with tea (from mouth, not cup).... Very funny!! Also, typically American, you have to do everything big :makefun:

ziggy

Oh Paul I love it.

You brighten up my morning. So nice reading your threads in contrast to the 97 1/2 % geeky, technical subject matter.

Hope you'll remain available when & if Kevin ever delivers us the C-250 so I can finally start my SW and put all of this great knowledge to use.

Your Grand kids must adore u!

david42

Just accidentally sprayed my screen with tea (from mouth, not cup).... Very funny!! Also, typically American, you have to do everything big :makefun:

Sounds like you have us pegged. We want it Bigger, Better, Faster, and More of it. Monster Trucks, and Rocket Powered Motorcycles!

Paul B

Wolffman, Hello, I was in Sydney Australia in 1971. I was on R&R from Viet Nam. I loved the place. I stayed in Kings Cross which I understand is not so good any more. When i got off the plane in Sydney I had to make my way to my hotel and I stopped at this busy intersection to look around. These two gentlemen came up to me and one of them said Hey mate &*&%^$#@, so I had no idea what he was saying because you guys have a funny accent. Then he said it again a little slower & * % ^ $ # $ @ and I now understood him. He asked me if I could help this blind fella to cross the street. So he leaves me with this blind guy and he goes on his way. But there were no traffic lights and cars were speeding by all over the place. I couldn't cross. After a few minutes the blind guy says to me "Whats the problem Bloke". I said there are cars all over the place and I can't get a break to cross. He says "Oh no problem Bloke" and he starts to drag me into the street. I close my eyes and hear brakes screatching and tires skidding. He lifted his cane and we made it across the street.
So he leaves on his own and don't you think another blind guy comes along and wants to go back across that street?.
No kidding, so we do the same thing and now I am back on the first part of the street, a place where I didn't want to be. I had to wait around for another blind guy to come by to get be back across the street. Then I noticed there was a blind person facility on the corner and everyone there, except me was blind. But I was also the only one who couldn't cross the street. And I grew up in New York City.

Then I get on a bus. It was a double decker bus and at the time I had never seen one of those (Now we have them in Manhattan) so I am in the bus looking out the front, upstairs window and a guy comes over to me and says: Hey Mate, how do you like our birds?" So I look at the sky and don't see any birds. He says "our birds, how do you find them?" I said "I don't see no birds". He says" you know, the Girls, how do you find our girls?"
And I look around on the bus and there was only girls and me and this guy. The girls all had on mini skirts which is something I had not seen in the 10 months that I was in the jungle. After 10 months I was even getting picky about the monkeys I was looking at. But the girls, or birds, were beautiful and it was a pleasent sight after all that time.

You can't make this stuff up. :wave:

Wolffman64

Hahaha, no you can't!

Those blind people in Kings Cross have now been replaced by less nice people. KC is a bit of a rough place, but you have that kind of place in all cities around the world, unfortunately. Apart from that, Sydney is probably the best place I have been to (I was born and grew up in Sweden), and we love living here. Vey hot today, and will be over 41 tomorrow (106F), so we should get a nice Christmas!

david42

Diana, have you received your Pods yet? I got my second batch in today. Immediately after I placed the order, decided it might not be enough. Anyway I was very surprised. Not in a good way. There is a lot of algae, or grass looking stuff in with the pods. Not sure what to think. I know it will take a lot more work to get the pods in. I am going to put them in a bucket, add some tank water and fish all the garbage out. I can't identify the other stuff. So no way it's going in my DT.
Very surprised, looks like I got Pods and a Side Salad. Did they pack the pods a snack?
u2a6y4ug.jpg

ypehyvuz.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for sharing your pod shipment info. No pods YET :(
I'm not happy that I ordered mine on Sunday....they mailed on Tuesday and my FedEx delivery tracking says they will be here FRIDAY. That sounds like a bad deal to me, I hope they are still alive when they get here. I will send you a PM or update here. I'm thinking you might lose lots of copepods when you throw out the trash? :(

ziggy

Thanks for sharing your pod shipment info. No pods YET :(
I'm not happy that I ordered mine on Sunday....they mailed on Tuesday and my FedEx delivery tracking says they will be here FRIDAY. That sounds like a bad deal to me, I hope they are still alive when they get here. I will send you a PM or update here. I'm thinking you might lose lots of copepods when you throw out the trash? :(

If I recall correctly, Paul B may have said when he put his "mud" into a tank it goes on a tray, into the tank, and I'm assuming the pods then would scatter and you can remove the tray with the salad leftovers on it.

As long as flow is not strong, it might work?

How would you intorduce David's bag of Pod salad?