Chronicle to Christopher's 1st Reef Adventure!

lcstorc

Eveything looks great.
The clam doesn't need nitrates. They get the food they need from the light. They will use some nitrates but the light is what they really need. So if you want to try one get a crocea and put it at the top closest to the lights. It is a bit hit or miss but I have had no trouble with either of my croceas. The only one I lost was a giant one somebody gave us. It was too big for the rocks so was down on the sand and didn't get enough light. Maximas are cool too but are more difficult to keep for some reason. I have one as well and it is fine but not as happy as my croceas.
Next I want to try a sand dwelling clam so I can see it better.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks great Chris! I like the zoos a lot. The stool will open up. When i had one in my 90 it took about a week for it to fully open up so don't panic if it takes a while. congrats on the new lighting buddy!

GeeWizzItsMe

Thanks everyone! I know clams don't need trates, but it would be nice to have one because the help reduce them (I think). So is there no 6 month rule? Is it just a lighting rule?

Craig Manoukian

At least 6 months. They need a very stable water quality and good strong lighting. Clams direct recommends at least a 45 gallon tank, they do grow large, a 12 month mature tank, and of course, MH lighting.

Another reason to upgrade, eh Christopher?

GeeWizzItsMe

Really? I thought croceas only grew to 6"??? Yes, I REALLY want a 6 footer, and yes, summer job screams in my ears (it's only october lol). Geez Craig, are you a tank salesman or something? HAHA!

Melanie

Happy Birthday Christopher!

bday.gif

GeeWizzItsMe

15!! I am getting a job!!! AND AT AN LFS!!!! Thanks melanie and craig! And I am GETTING MY LEARNER'S PERMIT! YAY!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Happy B-day buddy!!

Congrats on the JOB! If I had spare time I would get one too :)

Do we ALL get a discount there? :D

kathywithbirds

Congrats!!! My first jobs (geez, and a lot of later jobs!!) were at LFSes. I had a lot of fun and learned alot. If there are birds there I will quiz you on them...

I think it's time for a FTS with the new lights!!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
images-1.jpg

Looking great my friend! Love the new zoas, that Melanie is a sweetheart! Keep in mind that Crocea is considered the least hardy of all the clam species, but are the some of the most beautiful. You may want to try your skills with a Derasa (aka Durasa) first.

goldenmean

Happy Birthday and congrats on the job.
How exciting!

btw your tank is looking great!
Keep up the good work!

Techno-Vicki

Congratulations Christopher! How great getting a job at an LFS and a learners permit. Way to go! You will be great at the job. Take lots of notes so you can open your own store someday:)