bratyboys 29 gallon build

bratyboy2

im thinking the t5 is the way i want to go and over drive them like rock box did i just got to make it to the store to talk to the guy about doing that hehe:laughroll

bratyboy2

well look what time it is its 4:32 am and i sat here righting out the list of fish,inverts,and corals in which i plan to keep in this tank.

FISH:
1 Pair Black Common Clownfish
1 Green Mandarin
1 yasha Goby
(NOT BAD HUH?!)

INVERTS:
1-2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Bubble Tip Anemone
? Feather Dusters
1 Brittle Starfish
? Crabs
1-2 Sexy Shrimp

CORALS: (Just some ideas)
Frog spawns
Hammers
Bubble coral
Brain coral
Meat/Donut
Zoo's
Mushrooms
Green Leathers
Clam( looking more into)
Candy Canes

Rockbox said i could ge away with the stuff not the clam but said if i did DF i could but im still looking into T5's that are over drove. What do you think?:dance:

Emg

you ask if you can keep MONTIPORA using PC lighting.. OUT OF THE QUESTION..

You can grow montipora in PC lighting.......I have a 50reef with 196watts pc lighting. I've got a monti cap and some monti digi. They are growing quite well, though I'm sure the color isn't as good as it would be with higher lighting....they're doing fine.

This monti cap is at least 4 times bigger than it was when I put it in last Feb...same with the digis
DSC09538-web.jpg

RockBox

is there another anemone that you would suggest? i was really just looking at a simple green. idk just easy to find and if something happens to it i didnt lose to much money. you know?

Green BTAs are not nearly as troublesome as the RBTAs IME. I really can't recommend anything else because I have no personal experience with keeping anemones. All my experience comes from what I have seen working in the business side of things over the years.

bratyboy2

well i was also looking at birdsnest corals and the montiporas.

no comment on the stockng list?!?! did i do something right?!?!?! no yelling!?!?!:eek:

im so excited about the new tank me and a friend have decided to go on a trip to a store down south big one.

Emg

I didn't have any luck with the one birdsnest I tried in my tank.....I don't know why it didn't make it, but lighting would be my first guess. If you want to try a birdsnest.......find a small cheap one....just in case........

ReefLady

Staff member
No yelling on the stocking list. :) I wouldn't put the Mandarin in the tank until it has been set up for a while and has completely matured (lots of life/bugs).
On the Brittle, don't get a green one, they can become predatory.

bratyboy2

hey all!!

ReefLady~im so prepared for this mandarin!!!:laughroll
and the brittle is a black one i have already.

EMG~do you know what kind of birds nest you tried?

BarbMazz

The thing I'd say is if you do plan on an anemone to cut down a bit on the coral list as anemones can and do roam, and they'll sting corals as they go. Since the tank is small to begin with, I'd say less is more with corals. Also, water quality in these small tanks can go bad fast. You will need to stay on top of that if you add an anemone..they need good water quality that is very stable.

I have two nanos, and I do think they look better if you buy smaller corals and place them carefully so they don't look oversized in the small tank. I think a good analogy would be to compare a nano tank to a doll house; you put doll size furniture in so it doesn't look out of place. Same thing with these small tanks. Using smaller sized corals/fish/inverts makes them look authentic and beautiful.

A lot of the corals on your list can be quite aggressive chemically. With less water volume that can be a concern. Grab yourself a good coral book and read up a bit on allelopathy. Some of those corals can also get quite large.

If you stick with pc lighting it would be best to forget about a clam. You can keep one under T5's if you have a lot of bulbs and individual reflectors and place the clam up high. Keep in mind that even the smallest clam, the crocea's, will get quite large. The croceas I have in my 65g are about 5-6" long and they're not full grown yet.

These little tanks can be great with good forethought and planning. It's definitely worth the effort to plan ahead for the types of fish and corals... read about maximum growth on the things you like, and go from there.

bratyboy2

Barbmazz~well you make some good points on alot of things. The clam was just a thought and idk that im going to do it in the long run but if i do end up going with the T5's like Rockbox has then my ideas might go farther. As for the anemone...:coffee2:...Idk what i want to do im thinking it would be cool to have one maybe add it first and let it get comfy and see if it grabs a foot hold and stay but im sure with my luck it wont lol.:read: i really dont plan on sticking everyone of those corals into the tank as i ahve taken a trip to the store and saw some good frags and have been looking more to them.
The fish im going with are simple as the 2 clowns, mandarin, and the yasha goby.:bigbounce i do understand the small size of corals but im kinda lost in that approach. What corals do you have in mind?(oh please name some on my list!:smack: ).

GOOD NEWS AND I ALMOST FORGOT!!!
I got the tank setup today and i must say i love the layout!!!! it came out good for doing the tank about an hour before work!:makefun: i can already see what this tank is going to look like when it fills in.

I will get a pic up tomorow and show you guys some frags im interested in night

BarbMazz

Barbmazz~well you make some good points on alot of things. The clam was just a thought and idk that im going to do it in the long run but if i do end up going with the T5's like Rockbox has then my ideas might go farther. As for the anemone...:coffee2:...Idk what i want to do im thinking it would be cool to have one maybe add it first and let it get comfy and see if it grabs a foot hold and stay but im sure with my luck it wont lol.:read: i really dont plan on sticking everyone of those corals into the tank as i ahve taken a trip to the store and saw some good frags and have been looking more to them.
The fish im going with are simple as the 2 clowns, mandarin, and the yasha goby.:bigbounce i do understand the small size of corals but im kinda lost in that approach. What corals do you have in mind?(oh please name some on my list!:smack: ).

GOOD NEWS AND I ALMOST FORGOT!!!
I got the tank setup today and i must say i love the layout!!!! it came out good for doing the tank about an hour before work!:makefun: i can already see what this tank is going to look like when it fills in.

I will get a pic up tomorow and show you guys some frags im interested in night

Your fish count is good, although you will definitely have to constantly work to keep that mandarin fed. Consider a hob refuge to keep the pod population up. Mandarins eat constantly, and I mean that is ALL they do all day long.

As far as corals, pick up this book
Amazon.com: Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History: Eric H. Borneman: Books

It is a priceless reference. For example, in your list you say "Brain". There are many different "Brain" corals out there from many different genuses. The book will allow you to learn about the ones that interest you so you know what will be compatible with what. Since you're just starting out it is THE perfect time to get the book.

lcstorc

Just read this thread and I have to say I am very confused but things seem to be heading in a better direction.
If I am correct and we are talking about a 29 then I think the lights should be fine for any softies or LPS. I wouldn't try a clam or an anemone particularly at the beginning.
Anemones really require not only a large amount of light but a well established and stable aquarium. Since you are just setting up the tank and are using mostly base rock you are a long way from a stable tank. Adding those fish to a new tank is going to challenge the bio-filtration enough already.
I am proud of you for listening and pruning your stock list. Personally I think it is still a bit much but definitely better than where you started.
Set the tank up and give it some time to mature. Meanwhile spend your money getting that 125 up and running. Then you can have more fun with your stocking of fish and corals.

bratyboy2

Well well well. I could not get to the pictures today but i will aim for tomorow. The anemone is out of the question now. i dont want torisk my corals for that the clowns can host in something else. I also was looking at the elegance coral and i decided against that as well.

Barb~im wanting Symphyllia like rock box but im not finding easily. what is the common name? nvrmind closed brain coral and i just want it to look like a circle so i might go with the donut coral or find something close to looking.okay im going with a BUTTON CORAL!!! LOL JEEZ

Copperbanded Butterfly is gone...no worries as much as i liked him i had to let him go.

WHAT ABOUT THIS LIGHT?Aquarium Lighting for Nano Reef Aquariums: Viper HQI Metal Halide Clamp Lamp

bratyboy2

Well i finally got a pic of the tank and i love the scape like i said lol so here it is
29.jpg

This was just a acan i saw at the store i liked. Reminded me of a mini pumpkin. I think i might get this one. It was $65 for 4 heads is that a good price?
acan.jpg

Also i called a friend and we are going to get the lights this weekend. We are going to overdrive the T5 ballast. So i should come out with the same results as Rockbox---My Idol---lol