87G AGA Eventual reef

ludachris

Hello everybody,

I just received my aquarium today!!
Dimensions: 120L x 60W x 55Hcm (47L x 23W x 21H inch)
The glass is 10mm or 0.39 inches.

Will a base with the following characteristics be strong enough to support the fully stocked aquarium (sand, water, live rock…?)

Metal frame is made with a 40mm x 40mm (1.57 x 1.57 inch) tube.

Please feel free to ask any questions for additional information.

(give me a moment to find out how to upload pics....)

chris

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Congratulations!

Live rock is recommended at 1 - 1.5 lbs per gallon of water. I recommend getting a skimmer also. They are great at removing dissolved organics.

ludachris

Pic of stand

DCP_3083.JPG
[/IMG]

ludachris

Thanks.

A couple of other things on my shopping list besides the skimmer mentined above:

Tunze power head
Tunze Turbelle nanostream
I love the power consumption on tunze products.

T5 Lighting. Any recommendations how many tubes to use?

And probably a R/O unit.

Last edited:

billyr98

for t5 lighting on a reef, the recommendation is one bulb for every 2 1/2 inches of depth of tank (front to back)...

I love my tunzes!!!

Plenty of sponsors here for R/o kit and also not a sponsor but a great company is the filter guys!

ludachris

I noticed that the stand wobbles quite a bit it doesn't sit square. I checked it on a marble floor but still wobbles, without the aquarium on the stand the rear right corner has a 3mm (0.118) gap with the floor.

I think this is too much of a gap and will cause a broblem..

Any suggestions or comments?

boozeman

sweet stand !!!
most likely the reason why it wobbles is that the bottom frame is square and your floor isn't ...inspect the bottom and see how it touches the floor...at the high point take some plastic shims and insert untill snug. If you have a bubble level then even better...place it on top to determine which corner is out of level.
remember to use plastic shims..as the wooden ones may eventually rot.

ludachris

sweet stand !!!
most likely the reason why it wobbles is that the bottom frame is square and your floor isn't ...inspect the bottom and see how it touches the floor...at the high point take some plastic shims and insert untill snug. If you have a bubble level then even better...place it on top to determine which corner is out of level.
remember to use plastic shims..as the wooden ones may eventually rot.

boozeman,
I also checked with a straight edge and one of the corners is slightly elevated. Ill try to post a pic.

ludachris

Stand03.JPG

This is not a very clear pic but it illustrates the slight elevation on the stand corners. Its probable caused by the cutting and welding prodess to make the stand.

Last edited by a moderator:

boozeman

hmmm.the stand itself is uneven, although this wont affect its structural integrity, it is a pita...can you return it?

Gibeon

Being 3mm out of square over 1.2 meters isn't too far out of whack.

Have you tried turning the stand upside down to see if the top is square/flat?

It would be preferable to shim between the stand and floor as boozeman suggested. The tank would be better off on the flattest surface possible.

ludachris

I tryed turnig it over but the other side is about the same. . .

Because this is my first custom Aquarium and stand. Are other metal or wooden stand always perfectly flat?

What do i do if i cannot return the Stand besides get into a fight with the LFS?

ludachris

Any ideas or suggestions? Should i go or return this stand? Im kind of looking forward to starting my aquarium. I don't know how much longer i can look at the stand lay on its back.

Thanks in advance.

lgerold

IME, if you are frustrated about something before you start, you will not be happy later!

I used to have a metal open framed stand. I absolutely hated it. Cords, plumbing, etc, under the stand looked like heck. I couldn't keep it clean. Dust bunnies bred there. Baby dust bunnies all the time!

I now have a woodend oak stand, and love it.