1st Saltwater Tank - 29g BioCube

Adalius

Well, any news for those of us following along? Nothing new on my end, except I lost another occy clown. He was starting to show the slightest sign of tail rot Friday but I went in to get my wisdom teeth pulled. The meds kept me pretty knocked out all weekend, finally got downstairs today and he was crab food. :(

greneis7

Sorry guys; I've been out of town all weekend... sister's Bridal shower, stayed at my parents. The neighbor was feeding the food that I had prepared.
Charlie was finishing of the remains of Nemo when we walked in tonight. =( Everything else in the tank looks great.
The cord is still missing, but I think we're going to do something with strips of LEDs instead anyway... it will be cooler which will help the fact I don't have a chiller. The intake/output tubes that I need are no longer made, so the "fishguy" is making something out of PVC and "special" valves. He said it will be stronger and safer - leak-wise.
That's all for tonight guys, I'm exhausted.

greneis7

Very sad about Nemo. I'm going to finish running the treatment of Herbtana in case any of the other fish have anything on them. They never showed any spots and are still looking very healthy. I only have one more day. I will do a larger water change on Thursday or Friday and try to suck as much junk out of the sandbed as I can.
I go back to work "officially" on Thursday, though I will be working mornings this week just to get some stuff done in preparation. I am going to be putting the big tank on hold for a bit because of time and money. I will keep everyone posted when I start doing stuff with it again.

Amphibious

OK, what a read. I’ve been in this hobby for 63 years and have experienced many things, helped as many people along the way as possible especially in the last fifteen years or so. Two observations I’d like to make, two recommendations I’ll make and a congratulations.

First the congratulations, on joining this forum and LISTENing to the advice given here. Many new reefers stumble along taking advice from the LFS only and too many give up in frustration. It’s been widely proclaimed that you cannot trust the advice given at MOST (not all) LFSs. I am originally from WI, operated a wholesale aquarium supply outlet and Aquatics Unlimited was one of my biggest and best accounts. Generally, advice from them can be trusted as they are one of the best.

First observation. You have definitely been bitten by the reef bug. There are so many really cool things to discover. It is exciting to me, even after all these years, to get excited over your enthusiasm for the hobby. Thank you for sharing so much of your life with us.

Second observation. You are definitely experiencing “beginners luck” with this first system. Much of that luck comes from two things, participating actively here and personal research you’ve done. It is no surprise to me that you are a teacher and I’ll bet a good one, too. Your kids, both at home and in school, are fortunate to have you.

First recommendation. I wrote an article titled, “Nine Simple Rules, Buying Healthy Fish and Keeping them Healthy”. This article has generated very much favorable peer review. I highly recommend everyone read it. You can find it here - "Nine Simple Rules"

Second recommendation. You have your 29 that you are thinking of selling. I would recommend you put it to good use as a quarantine tank for new arrivals. You have been pretty lucky - so far! Luck has a habit of running out when caution is ignored. While I only skim read your long tank thread, I don’t recall anyone recommending that you quarantine your purchases. Not quarantining is akin to playing russian roulette, you don’t know when your luck will change and disaster strikes. When you read “Nine Simple Rules” you will be introduced to my concept of the “Spa Quarantine” system.

The life of a fish prior to arriving to your comfortable tank quarters is a journey of HE!!ish treatment. Caught by any of several methods from nets to chemicals to drastic measures as dynamite. They are then bagged, shipped, transferred into strange maybe unstable water, held for a day or two, NOT FED, bagged again, shipped to a destination often 24 to 48 hours away, transferred again to unfamiliar water, NOT FED, bagged, shipped to your LFS, transferred again to strange water and barely fed until you buy this fish and it finally arrives to your loving home. Think about this for a minute, in the journey from their ocean reef home to your tank home, they are not cared for, not fed, not handled with respect, they are a commodity that each handler just wants to pass on BEFORE disease or death shows it’s ugly head. Pretty grim picture, ugh?

That is very close to reality in the life of our precious reef fish that we place so high a regard on. Things have improved over the last ten years or so but there is still a long way to go. Remember, the reefs most fish are collected from are in Third World Countries and NOT close to Metropolitan areas but sometimes hundreds of miles from anything but a remote village. Most collectors are poor villagers receiving 25 to 50 cents per fish from brokers who then bag them and start the fish on their arduous journey. The death rate is still way too high. It has been estimated that a mere 20% of the tens-of-thousands of fish caught survive to reach our tanks. Pretty dismal isn’t it.

That’s why I implore EVERYONE in this hobby to do everything in their power to improve their personal best practices by constant research and making improvements to our practices and systems. This hobby is in a constant state of change as we discover new and improved methods of husbandry. As “Responsible Reefers” we must move with the tide of change.

One huge step for you, or anyone not quarantining, is to put that 29 to best use as a “Spa quarantine” system. You will one day thank me.

Good luck comes to only those that research and improve their skills.

Dick

greneis7

Dick~
Thank you so much; not only for your compliments, but for the time you spent on my thread and the suggestions given.
I've actually given some thought to keeping this one as a QT, at least initially -when I am adding several new fish. I have everything I would need with the 10gl (except for a cover) that I may use as a QT once the bulk of my fish are added. I just think that this BioCube setup is a little too pricey for a QT.
I've been going to Aquatics for years for FW fish. They are awesome!
I will definately be reading your article, thank you for sending the link!
~ Jen

greneis7

I knew once I went back to work, I wasn't going to be on here as much... I have a feeling I'm going to be on all night trying to catch up on everyone's threads!
I did a 5gl water change today and will run my tests tomorrow morning. Everything looks fine. We are still incredibly bummed about losing Nemo. I miss his wave surfing!
The large tank will be on hold indefinately. Maybe I will cut out some pictures of fish and put them inside so I have something to look at. =)

tangerine3486

:( good luck getting everything going when you are ready! Im finally next to my tank alllll the time. Have a good school year. :( about nemo.

greneis7

Haven't been on for a bit. Busy with the new school year. Tank is doing well. I have a bit of hair algae growing, so I am thinking about getting another emerald crab. I'm not replacing Nemo, because I will hopefully be getting a Bangaii from Doni Mari soon. My BSJ is now swimming ALL over the tank and has soooo many tunnels dug everywhere. He's so fun to watch. Happy reefing friends!

greneis7

:( good luck getting everything going when you are ready! Im finally next to my tank alllll the time. Have a good school year. :( about nemo.

Glad you are with your tank. =) I'll let you know when things are going to start happening with the big one, I have a feeling it won't be for a few months. I'm going to keep the rocks going in rubbermaids and wait for the tax return... I file right away in Jan so I'm thinking I've only got to wait like 4 months - I keep telling myself only, but it seems like it's going to be FOREVER! lol

greneis7

So I went into the LFS today with the intention of getting another Emerald... they did not have any. But I did leave with a small, green toadstool!
I'll get a picture when it's open.

Adalius

Aquatics had a bunch when I was there and picked one up last week. I'm assuming you mean you went to the one in Beloit-ish area?

greneis7

Tank will be cleaned tomorrow and batteries low on camera - not the greatest pic - but here's the new toadstool
tank004.jpg

Very blurry, but I love when the skunk cleans the fish!!! He's taking care of Gramps here!
tank013-1.jpg

greneis7

Aquatics had a bunch when I was there and picked one up last week. I'm assuming you mean you went to the one in Beloit-ish area?

I was really trying to stay away from the fish stores lately to save money. =) I have a feeling I am going to be spending a bunch at that frag fest. Yeah, we went to one in Rockford tonight.
You picked up a crab or a toadstool? I think it's funny how without even really knowing each other or talking about it, we wind up getting the same stuff for our tanks. Lol Great minds think alike!

Adalius

I hear ya about saving money, I'm up to my eyeballs in debt. I bought an emerald. Been doing tank blackouts to try and kill some dinos, bought an emerald last week to work on the GHA during the lights out. But yes, it's hilarious we keep buying the same stuff.

I didn't go to the Rockford thing, but I'm kicking myself about yesterday, I forgot that there was a $10 entry to a frag event at Discovery World in Milwaukee, and the $10 got you admission to the whole place. *kicks self over and over* I'm a big kid so I *love* Discovery World, plus my company did all the reinforcing steel there so I'm curious how it turned out.

greneis7

That would have been a great reason for us to come to town this weekend! My youngest LOVES Discovery World. That would have been like a double bonus!
The one in Rockford is the last weekend of October.

Big Jay

Jen, Try putting the camera on SPORTS mode. Also use the flash. These two things will raise your shutter speed considerably and help get clear pictures.

greneis7

Jen, Try putting the camera on SPORTS mode. Also use the flash. These two things will raise your shutter speed considerably and help get clear pictures.

Thanks Jay. I did it with and without the flash... this was the one that looked better. I'm not sure if I have a sports mode - I'll have to check!

Adalius

Jay's got a good idea there.

Typically its a trade off, a higher iso (sport mode) will have a faster shutter speed, but more 'noise', which in the digital world is like film grain in the analog world. You probably won't notice it too much as its compensating for the blur of a moving object anyway.

If you turn off all your tank lights your flash more or less becomes your shutter speed, which is considerably faster than your 'Auto' mode probably ends up shooting at anyway.

Also, if you do take pictures of your tank, you're better off using one light source, so either use your flash and tank lights off, the main tank lights, or just actinics on. Otherwise your camera has a heck of a time trying to find an appropriate white balance with three different temperature bulbs firing off at once.