1st Saltwater Tank - 29g BioCube

greneis7

Sorry guys, been busy with work and not much of anything new had been happening with the tank...

We had a crazy outbreak of hair algae since our one armed emerald went belly up. I got a replacement, and he seemed to prefer the seaweed and mysis instead of the hair. Last week I bought a second emerald and the tank is starting to clean up nicely. There is one rock that I think I might just replace because it is looking like it's beyond mowing.

I received an email from Dr. Fosters this week and was "just going to look" since the large tank is on hold til I get the tax return, but looking never seems to be enough. I wound up ordering some zebra hermits, a pink/blue star, and a clingfish. Then, because I was "in the mood" I went to vivid aquarium's site and ordered another white lightening sponge and a red monti cap. So much for waiting on purchases til the big one is up. =)

My "old stuff" is doing great!
My sun polyps have three new heads along the top.
My pulxing xenia grew another branch.
I added another rock for my gps to grow on.
My ricordia was used as a decoration by the BSJ and I had thought it was gone... just found it last week when I rescaped some of the rock and it is bleached out, but fine.

My yellow polyps are my only "uh-oh". They seriously disappeared one by one right off the plug; I'm wondering if something was hungry or if it had some kind of chemical disagreement with the xenia or toadstool?? When I removed the naked plug, I switched out the chemi-pure and purigen for a new batch.

When the new stuff arrives, I will post some pictures.

Thanks for the interest!!!

greneis7

My new AWESOME order came today. I took some quick pics...

Boober is wondering what I am doing to HIS tank!
SaltwaterTank020.jpg

The GPS has quadrupled in size.
SaltwaterTank014.jpg

New Red Monti Cap & White Lightening Sponge.
SaltwaterTank003.jpg

New corals, starfish, and Boober (& water spots too!)
SaltwaterTank008.jpg

New Clingish (Hatter) & Gramps
SaltwaterTank016-1.jpg

Hatter, Gramps, & Penelope
SaltwaterTank018.jpg

greneis7

Thank you guys! I was up late watching my new additions. lol Two of the new zebra hermits have already switched their shells.
It is simply called a pink & blue starfish. It is a sandsifting type to help with the clean up & keeping the sand stirred up. His color was very faded when he first got here... he's was starting to brighten up already this morning. (I got him from Dr. Foster & Smith - there is a picture of what I hope this one will look like eventually).

greneis7

Incredibly upset. =( Came home from work tonight to see my starfish (that colored up quite nicely) being eaten by Charlie the Jerk Shrimp! He ate off three of his tips! I was suprised at just how fash a starfish can move in an attempt to get away. I quickly removed the demon, but completely trashed the tank in doing so and gave him to the LFS - where I now have a $10 credit. I could handle him eating the snails, but the starfish - really?!? He has buried himself in the sand again, I am hoping that he recovers. =(

tangerine3486

Thank you! After taking the pictures, I realized how dirty my tank was! I laughed when you said clean sand. =)

haha, well your sand is way cleaner compared to mine.

That stinks about your starfish! I want to give my peppermint shrimp away. he is not worth it.

greneis7

The starfish seems to be okay. The tips have hardened up - I'm hoping that as they heal over, they will look like they did.
Thank you all for your compliments!!! =)

shark32

I hope your starfish makes a complete recovery! :fingerx: That's so cool about your mushroom! Can't wait to see the pics!

greneis7

Came home from a beautiful Thanksgiving weekend and am sick to my stomach!
My corals didn't look so hot when I walked in the door so I immediately did a water check. My Nitrates were around 10 and my Nitrites were around 25. I initially thought that the friend who was watching the tank overfed???
Then I started digging around the tank to make sure the starfish wasn't rotting or something and I can't find it! I wound up moving ALL of the rock (Boober is seriously PO'd) and sifted through the sand with my bare hand praying I would find the star and NOT a bristle worm. Didn't find anything. =( We left Thursday, could he have been completely devoured by the crabs in three and a half days?

As I was moving stuff around I also noticed that my Pulsing Xenia, which had recently sprouted a new head and was doing awesome, appeared to be snipped at his base?? There was some hair algae very near him and I'm wondering if the emerald crab didn't catch the Xenia instead? I put what was left in a tall glass so that I can gel it to a new rock frag tomorrow when I pick up more gel and am praying that it will come around.

THEN, I put the tank back together and couldn't find the Clingfish or the Starry Blenny! I found Hatter (the Cling) in the back of the tank - despite the fishguard, but still haven't seen Gramps (Blenny). I'm hoping that he's just upset with the rock business and will come out later.

I will do a 5 gal. water change right after work tomorrow - I took a gallon out tonight because it was all I had to replace, but I'll do it right tomorrow. I am dreading leaving for Christmas - that will be another four days, who knows what will happen then. Geez

greneis7

Gosh, I'm not sure anymore. It was something that was supposed to be "live sand". It's a crushed coral of some sort I believe. I am actually going to be running to the LFS tomorrow and I'm pretty sure they still carry it. I will check the package and see what I can see! =)