1st Saltwater Tank - 29g BioCube

greneis7

Thanks guys! Not sure what I'm going to do with the 29gl for right now. I'd love to keep it going, but it's going to take a good amount of time and money to stock the 110. This one was just getting started. Seems like a really expensive QT tank. I spent another $155 on lr today to mix in with the dead stuff. Altogether I've got around 90lbs. I could really use the 30lbs that is in this tank.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Side note: Boober (BSJ) came out farther tonight than he ever has. He makes baby steps everyday. He's so darn cute!

SecretAgent

*pany* *pant* *huff* *huff*

Whew* Im tired now after all that reading....but it was fun!

Youre going to never want to leave the front of your tank when you get the 110 going. You think it was bad with the 29? Humph! You wont ever want to leave the house! Good thing I work from home cause in front of my tank is where I am parked MANY hours of the day. Hands always in the tank, always rearranging....I cant leave them alone!

Just got my new baby Thurs.....See it in my Avatar? <BEAM>

Oh yeah. shes a beauty

Loved reading your thread Jen....Im keeping my eye on it =) Things are looking really good. Reef on Momma!

greneis7

Ooooh! What did you name her Sunshine?
I'm going to dread going back to work in a few weeks and not being able to have the tank in front of me. I'm a teacher, taught summer school, but now I have a few weeks off. HEYYYYYY - maybe I should take the 29 to work??? Hmmmmm

greneis7

Another busy day... cleaned out the rolltop computer desk (can't believe how much crap I had in there that I didn't need) so that it can be moved down to the rec room to make room for the monster! I cleaned an area out in the basement to set up the ro contraption. My tank will arrive on Sunday late afternoon! Who hoo!
Update on my current baby... the BSJ has decided that all of the little zoanthid frags that Cramer's sent are his for decorating his little cave! He has them all lined up around him. UGH
My white lightening sponge is troubling me... ever since I found him knocked off the rock the other day, he hasn't really "come out". Tonight the lower half of his stem has polyps on it, but the top isn't open at all. =( I am hoping that he is just pouting. I don't know what's going on??
I am going to clean the tank on Wed and I think I will peek at the ricordia... it will be 9 days, I think, that he's been wrapped, keep your fingers crossed that he's attached himself!
I fed the corals with some ZooPlankton and Phyto mixed up tonight (just a little) My mushrooms must have really loved it because they blew up. My green stripe is HUGE. I have my suns near him, there wouldn't be any kind of touching issue with those two, would there?

greneis7

Making his house look pretty
SaltwaterTank002.jpg

Dinner was great Mom!
SaltwaterTank004.jpg

What's wrong little sponge?
SaltwaterTank003.jpg

greneis7

This new tank is causing all kinds of other things to happen. I had to move the comp desk into the rec room to make room. Then I decided the ugly old carpet on the stairs going down needed to come off since we were changing things, then I decided that the rec room itself needed new carpet (it really looks nice down there now). After moving the comp desk out of my living room, I realized that the walls really could use a coat of paint. My friend is coming over tomorrow to paint my livingroom and steps/hall going up to the 2nd floor. The house is looking nice, I just didn't realize that getting another tank was going to make so many other things happen! lol
I am heading to Milwaukee in a few hours to pick up some more fish "stuff" from my mom's basement. I have a feeling I will be stopping into Aquatics on my way home... I might have to get the Frogspawn I've been eyeing up for several weeks now.

SecretAgent

Ha Jen! Thats what happens to me with anything I bring in the house. Gotta find the spot for said thing, sometimes you have to move something cause the newly acquired thing would look better in the occupied spot, then you got to find a place to relocate the first moved object, pretty soon your household things are in a game of musical chairs

but its fun =)

greneis7

lol Nope. I have a mess in my kitchen right now. My mom saved a rubbermaid full of some of Dad's special order rocks (57lbs worth), I bought about 29lbs of live figi and mixed it in to start seeding it along with BioSpira and some used filter floss. I have two rubbermaids with the rock and powerheads it my kitchen. The tank will get delivered on Sunday... not sure how quickly everything will get set up to start cycling. I go back to work in a week and a half (teacher) and I'd like to have it up before then.
As long as I'm talking about the new tank... after I stopped and picked up 5 more boxes of "stuff" today and the actinic lights, my mom called and said she found a rubbermaid of dried out tank sand... not sure if that's safe to use, but I'll have the tank movers grab it when they go.
I'm getting even more excited because it's going to be here in two more days!!!

greneis7

So I made Boober extremely mad because I took away the zoanthids that he decorated his cave entrance with. I gave him some "rubble" to use instead. When I got home today, not only did he move all of the rubble AWAY from the entrance, but he pulled some of the zoanthids back AND found my missing teeny frag of the other zoanthids (lost them in the rockwork) to decorate with. Apparently, rubble is not pretty enough! I LOVE this sassy fish!

tangerine3486

ah ok that makes sense. aquascaping is going to be fun! should be ready to add stuff in a few months!

haha Boober is so funny i want one!

greneis7

I am very excited for a few reasons... after my "friend" came to paint - and did THE worst job ever, I wound up staying up til 1:30 last night fixing it. Then I did touch ups this morning, and decided to paint the steps going upstairs. Everything is finally done and ready for the new tank! Whoo hoo!
Another good thing is that I cleaned the tank yesterday, a day late, and ran all of my test this evening. My Salinity is FINALLY 1.025!!! My other numbers were great too...
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Amonia 0
Phosp 0
Ca 440
Alk 8
I am going to get a new Ph kit the next time I am at the store.
Now on a sad note, my one armed emerald crab is dead. I am actually thinking that Boober might have had something to do with it... Stuart was kinda hanging out around Boober's area last night and I've seen him "lunge" at other passerbys if they get too close; I can't help but wonder if Boober lunged at Stuart and smashed him into the rocks or something. Yesterday morning he was eating and normal. I didn't particularly care for the crab, but it's still kind of a bummer that he died.
My sponge is now on the bottom of the tank and it's lower polyps are the only ones open. I'm hoping that it starts looking better tomorrow. I wonder if the top part is dead? And if so, if I cut it off - like fragging would it kill the whole thing? I'm going to give it a few more days and see what happens.
On another note, on Wednesday I picked up a few more boxes from Mom's. Holy cow is there a lot of stuff. I even found some testing notes my dad had stuck in the box and how he was "worried" about his sally lightfoot.
It's been about seven years, so I'm thinking I should just toss the test kits - any thoughts?