Search results

1. G

Advise on LED Lighting Options

I've got an old RSM130 that I bought used and have had for years. The internal fluorescent tubes died long ago and I replaced them with Exocotic Panorama strips attached inside the hood. Not such a good idea as they corrode and die every couple of years; but I just replaced them periodically and...
  2. G

What is my sea urchin doing?

I have a new blue tuxedo urchin, who seems to have settled down well in my tank. I recently noted that he seemed to have extruded long spines/tentacles that were much longer than his regular spines. You can see them in the picture, sticking out to the sides of the tank. Does anyone know what...
  3. G

Can Anyone ID this Coral?

I got this coral about a year ago, and don't recall what it was called. Can anyone ID it?
  4. G

Anemones fighting?

I looked at my tank last night and found that one of my warty anemones had extended itself a good inch from its rock and was hovering over my rock flower. The Rock flower, which normally sits flat on the sand, had also extended itself over an inch, leaning away from the warty - it looked like it...
  5. G

ACAN Feeding

So I just got some Acan frags and am not sure how much to feed them I researched on the net and some folk warned against over-feeding, and some said several times a day is good...... I'd like mine to grow and will happily feed them as much as they need. But how much is good? GBose
  6. G

HOG1 Algae Scrubber?

Does anyone have any experience with the HOG1 Algae Scrubber? It seems very appealing, as I have a Nitrate issue in my RSM 130 and can't really install a refugium or any other kind of add-on. I read a couple of reviews on the net, but they seemed very mixed...... GBose
  7. G

Anemone Shrimp - Care?

So I just acquired an anemone shrimp, and he's settled down in my rockflower anemone. Does he need any special care? My LFS says no, and I think he's really knowledgeable, but I'd appreciate any experiences you can share... GBose
  8. G

Scoly Feeding?

My wife just bought me a lovely warpaint scoly for Christmas. I really like it and want to look after it. How much should I feed it? It almost always seems ready to eat and it has a huge mouth.... I'd like to feed it as much as possible, to encourage growth. But I've heard warnings about...
  9. G

What is this in my tank?

Can anyone tell me what the big white thing with all the branches is? I'm suspecting some type of sponge, but I'm not sure. It seems to have a texture like foam -- soft but not not squishy. It breaks easily, when I'm trying to clean the sides of the tank. Is it a good thing or should I get...
  10. G

Nitrate Spike

So I tested my nitrates recently -- haven't done this for a few weeks -- and was alarmed to see they were up at 100PPM!!! I'm trying to fix this. I have: Replaced the Nitrogen Sponge in my filter. Done water changes -- 5G on Friday (all the salt water I had on hand), followed by 10G on...
  11. G

Clownfish sleeping vertically - any problem?

I'm not sure if I just noticed it, but one of my perculas has taken to sleeping vertically -- head-down. Is this OK, or a sign of swim-bladder problems? He seems fine when he wakes up..... GBose
  12. G

Still Confused: Do FrogSpawn Feed? What?

So I haven't yet figured out if my frogspawn actually eat solid food. I've tried spraying them with Cyclop-Eeze and Oysterfeast and sometimes with Mysis shrimp. But I still can't figure out if they actually eat any of it.... Any thoughts? GBose
  13. G

Tube Anemone - Any Advice?

I just added a pink tube anemone to my tank. I understand these are not photosynthetic, so need to be fed regularly. Any advice re: Flow rate, diet, etc? GBose
  14. G

Christmas Favia: Browning Gradually

I have a green Christmas Favia, with brown 'eyes' (not sure what to call them) about halfway down in my tank. My lighting is relatively low -- small LEDs. Over time, the Favia seems to be growing brown; ie the 'eyes' are increasing in size and the green 'walls' between them getting fainter...
  15. G

Trachyphillia Feeding - Confused!

I've had this neon green trachy for about 6 months and he's never fed. He seems OK, otherwise, though not growing particularly. I figured that was just the way they were. Then I recently (about 3 weeks ago) got another trachy. This one's green with a dark red rim. I've been amazed by how...
  16. G

URGENT: How can I tell if my sea urchin is still alive?

I have/had a very nice Halloween urchin, and he seemed to be getting on OK in my tank. In the last couple of day, I noticed he was sitting on the sand in the back of the tank, but I didn't think anything of it. Today, since he hadn't moved, I lifted him onto a piece of liverock. He is just...
  17. G

Halloween Urchin and SeaWeed

So I got a new Halloween urchin and he's getting settled into my tank. I thought he'd be OK, as I have a LOT of coralline algae in my tank. But I read that they need seaweed, in case there isn't enough algae in the tank. So I attached a sheet of dried seaweed and was pleased when the urchin...
  18. G

Dumb Question -- But I'd really like to know...

What is the difference between an Anemone and a Coral? I mean, obviously there are thousands of types of each, but what causes some to be classified as Anemones and others as Corals? They all seem to be living animals, some feed on solid foods and some are photosynthetic. Some move and others...
  19. G

Frag-Rescuing my toadstool leather. Please advise

So my toadstool leather has been looking quite droopy for a few weeks now. Recently, it's stopped sending out it's tendrils at all -- just lies nearly flat, looking like a toadstool. And then I added a rockflower anemone, which took up residence under the toadstool's (now horizontal)...
  20. G

Thinking of an anemone

So I'm toying with the idea of adding an anemone to my reef tank. I've got medium lighting (some LEDs), and don't think it's enough for most anemones. But I've heard of 'Rock Anemones' and just was one at my LFS -- looked very pretty. I understand they are moderate light and low-maintenance...