What is this in my tank?

gbose

Can anyone tell me what the big white thing with all the branches is? I'm suspecting some type of sponge, but I'm not sure. It seems to have a texture like foam -- soft but not not squishy. It breaks easily, when I'm trying to clean the sides of the tank.

Is it a good thing or should I get rid of it?

GBose

kyle4201

you have to go to photobucket, click on "get link", click on "direct". That will copy it for you,, then go back here and click on the picture icon above where I am typing (where you would be typing) there is a smiley face, then 2 globes, the next icon is the one you want,, followed by a video looking icon. Click on the picture 1 and copy the link from photo bucket there.
ALSO,,,, VERY IMPORTANT!!! you need 5 posts to be able to post pix,, so you have 1, now just post like thank you 4 times,, then post you pic. I want to see what you are talking about. :)

gbose

Thanks, Kyle -- that worked :wave: I'm talking about the white branchy looking thing in the foreground...

Mike Johnson

Well, you've named it. Just put all the words together. It's called a White Branching Sponge. They can't and won't hurt anything; but some people weed them because of their tremendous fast growth. I think they are cool.

gbose

Mike,

Thanks! That makes sense -- fast growth is right! I'm going to leave it in there. I'm thinking that as a filter feeder, it's helping to keep my tank clean....

And thanks Kyle for helping me post my picture!

GBose