Tube Anemone - Any Advice?

gbose

I just added a pink tube anemone to my tank. I understand these are not photosynthetic, so need to be fed regularly. Any advice re: Flow rate, diet, etc?

GBose

LSUFireGal

I have one that Is doing great, mine burried it's tube in the sand under a small ledge so she can retract under it if need be. However big it is during the day, plan for it to be twice as big at lights out, make sure it cant sting any of your corals.

She pouts anytime the water perams are less than perfect. I have mine in moderate, indirect flow. I feed her a half a silverside once a week, a few large krill once a week using my tongs and I make sure to give her a healthy squirt of mysis ehrn I feed the others. She is definitely the show piece of the tank.

jyru2e5e.jpg

Eating a silverside

agu2u7ed.jpg

Being her gorgeous self

unupy2ud.jpg

Her full tank shot.

Sorry, I could dote on her for days! I hope you get similar results and as much enjoyment!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

gbose

Very nice -- mine looks much like that, but is a bit smaller (I think). I noticed one of your fish close to Flora, so I take it she hasn't been attacking them?

GBose

LSUFireGal

Sorry I responded to your comment on youtube but just saw this. She has never bothered any of his fish. We do keep her very well fed though. She pouts if water quality isn't perfect, but I know when to test now. Lol. Ours is about 2 ft across when fully open.

gbose

Augh -- 2ft across?? Mine is about 2 inches!! If mine grows like yours, there'll be no room in my tank -- I've an RSM130... How big is your tank?

Glad to hear Flora doesn't bother your fish, though. I guess I'll deal with the size issue when mine grows bigger...

GBose

LSUFireGal

Yes, in the video, the krill she is eating are almost 2 inches long. Lol

It may take a long time for her to get big, probably depends on how much you feed her.

My system is 220 gallons.

Akshay

Any flow is ok, and any light is ok too. I have mine for more than 3 years now...it's a deep maroon with fluroscent orange specks on the tentacles. Had it in the middle of the tank with full flow and lights & now have it in a corner with minimal flow and lights, both suit it just fine. The stalk is about 2 inches in the sand bed & 2 inches above and in the evening extends by another 2 inches. The tentacles extend to about 3-4 inches. Towards evening the tentacles stretch out the max doing a spiral whirl and it will try and eat anything in reach. Once it even tried to eat a bristle worm but spat it out a few minutes later! I feed it meaty foods and it gorges on them. :)

LSUFireGal

duru6ynu.jpg

Here is my 7 year old son standing next to it for size reference. Flora is not fully open in this pic but you can see she is pretty big.

If you do the whole facebook thing you can check out his tank on facebook.com/KylesReef he is autistic and this is one way we connect.

5e7ujeba.jpg

Here you can see her tube under the rock, it is about 3.5 inches wide.

LSUFireGal

Thank you. My son has names for almost all of them. We had to google who the most famous swimmer was so he could name our Sohal Tang. Lol. There are 40 fish in the tank and he checks for every single one daily.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

gbose

LSUFiregal,

Flora is lovely! I hope mine continues like that -- but not sure my tank is anywhere near big enough -- yours is awesome!! How long have you had Flora? How big was she when you got her?

Akshay - how long have you had yours? Pictures???

Gautam Bose

gbose

So my Cerianthus was doing well -- good appetite, fed regulalrly. I was out of town when my wife let me know it had floated out of the sand and was on one of my rocks. When I got back home, I tried to move it back. It's body was small and shrunken and there was a lump of gunk next to it. Not sure if it just upchucked everything I fed it or tossed out it's insides. I tried to replantit in the sane, but it kept floating away.

Now it's on a rock near the back of the tank. It seems to be still alive -- hasn't lost it's colors, but it's tentacles are limp and it's not eating.

Is it dead or dying? Is there anything I can do?

GBose

LSUFireGal

Mine did that during thr tank move. I just left it on the rock and it bounced back in a day or two and when I saw it asking to be fed I moved it back to the sand bed I never burried it, just let it do it's own thing.

gbose

Mine did that during thr tank move. I just left it on the rock and it bounced back in a day or two and when I saw it asking to be fed I moved it back to the sand bed I never burried it, just let it do it's own thing.

OK, I'll try that. She's settled down at the back of the thank among rocks. She's lying on her side on the sand.. doesn't seem to be digging in. I've tried feed, but not sure if she's interested.....

GBose