Search results

1. A

Live rock and coral frags near Huntsville, AL

Hello all. I regrettably must tear down my aquarium. I have about 120 pounds of live rock for sale. I am asking $300 for the live rock. I also have several coral frags, and some more mature colonies that must go. Mostly SPS and a few LPS. PM or reply for details. Thanks.
  2. A

Water movement suggestions

I am looking into upgrading/adding water movement to my reef. I am going toward an SPS dominant with just a few LPS. My tank is a 90 with Mag 5 return pump and 2 Koralia Evo 1400 wavemakers on either side of the tank. My question being for my tank to thrive as SPS dominant should I add a very...
  3. A

Carbon source dosing

I have been looking into starting a carbon source dosing routine but have not had much luck find information on the different methods. I am interested in Prodibio, vodka dosing and Brightwell. I have not read much at all for Brightwell, but my LFS carries Brightwell. Prodibio is very attractive...
  4. A

Prune dead skeleton?

I have a green acropora piece that had a tough time acclimating to my tank and lost tissue on the ends of some of its tips. The rest of the coral looks great now but the tips are growing algae on it. My question is can the dead tips be clipped off to encourage new growth? Or should I simply...
  5. A

Sponge filter or bioballs for qt?

I am setting up a quarantine/hospital tank to rid my tank of ich and to quarantine all new fish. I have decided to use either bioballs or a sponge filter for some biological filtration. So to all the greats minds here which would be a more preferred method? Also if a sponge filter is used should...
  6. A

Setting up hospial/qt

So after many many hours of reading and collecting information I have decided it is time to attempt to cure and prevent ich from my tank. I have a 20 long that I am planning to use. I will drill the tank in the side and use a trash can as a sump. Now for the questions... I have 6 total fish...
  7. A

90 gallon setup

I need to sell everything so I can downsize. The tank is currently up and running so I won't sell anything unless I can sell it ALL. I have a 90 gallon reef ready tank, custom stand, 29 gallon glass sump with three sections (skimmer, return, refugium), mag 5 return pump, 2 koralia evolution 1400...
  8. A

Downsizing...

I have been thinking about downsizing from my 90 gallon to something a little more manageable in the room it is in. I don't want to go tiny though. My LFS has a complete 57 gallon Oceanic Illuminata setup for around $1000. Anybody have this tank? Its a beautiful tank. I want to move toward a SPS...
  9. A

Kole tang disease

I recently added a Kole tang to my tank. It was doing great but yesterday when I came home I noticed it frantically darting back and forth in the tank and the barbs on its tail were extended and noticed a vertical scratch on one side of its body. Today the barbs are still extended and it looks...
  10. A

What kind of soap to wash hands?

May seem like a dumb question but I'm a bit cautious. Any opinions on what sort of soap I should use to wash my hands and arms before I reach into my tank? I am an auto technician so my hands and arms are always filthy at the end of the day and water alone won't take grease off. I have been...
  11. A

Snail additions

I have been thinking about drastically downsizing my hermit crab population (of about 30) and moving towards a complete snail clean up crew. I started with 10 margarita snails, and after some research found they are not ideal for a reef aquarium due to water temp. They are slowly dieing...
  12. A

Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus together?

I currently have a Kole Tang on hold at my LFS (so I can monitor it for a few weeks) and plan on bringing it home soon if everything works out. I also really like Scopas and Sailfin tangs as well. Will these two species coexist in a 90 gallon tank happily? I plan on getting the kole tang first...
  13. A

Chaeto and caulerpa?

Last week my LFS gave me a handful of chaeto and a handful of grape caulerpa for my refugium. In doing a little research online I have found quite a bit of bad new surrounding caulerpa. My question is should I keep them both, or trash the caulerpa and just use chaeto. Or I could slowly feed it...
  14. A

Two less than happy coral

Hello all. I have been having a little trouble out of my leather toadstool and candy cane here lately. The candy cane just looks deflated I guess is how to put it. Still has good color, just won't inflate like it used to. Also my green polyp leather toadstool has not extended its polyps full in...
  15. A

Hello reef sanctuary

Hello. I am new to this forum, and new to saltwater aquariums. I have been reading the forums here for a while and this seems to be a great community. I am starting to have a few problems and I am learning more and more everyday. I have a 90 gallon tank with 29 gallon sump that has been going...