Search results

1. mikelam

BC 29 Disaster! Help!

I'm not sure that this is the right forum for this but since there isn't one for disasters I'll post here. Yesterday, we spent the day in our nearest large city (3 hour drive) and came home exhausted, only to find that the side of my BC 29 had a huge crack in it. The crack went from where the...
  2. mikelam

Removing an anemone

Since no one had any suggestions about how to get my nem off the back glass of the tank, I did it on my own and would like to offer help to anyone else that is in the same situation. My nem got huge and began stinging the mushrooms that were to close to it. I was unable to move them as they...
  3. mikelam

Mind reading Nem

I'm the person that has posted before with tales of my wandering nem. Now, I have a new issue with the old nem. I finally decided that all that wandering was too disruptive for my tank and the next time it wandered I was going to take it to the LFS and trade it in. That was three months ago. It...
  4. mikelam

Chromis MIA

I cleaned my tank day before yesterday, everything and everyone were fine except for the usual "leave us alone" attitudes. Yesterday afternoon, my husband noticed that my lone Chromis (survivor of an insane dwarf angel attack on his buddies) was missing. We looked everywhere for this fish and...
  5. mikelam

Green Hair Algae

I've always had a little GHA in the used tank that I purchased but now it is more than just a little. I just replaced the lights and it seems to be worse. It is actually choking out some pretty red macro algae that is growing on a rock. My water tests are great, just a little acidic and I do...
  6. mikelam

Which Aquarium? RSM 130D or BioCube29.

If you have limited space, which brand of aquarium would you buy? Right now, the candidates are RSM 130D or the BioCube 29? Any "write ins" are welcome too. Thanks.
  7. mikelam

Are RSMs "plug and play"?

I would love to buy a RSM 130d or maybe even a 250, but I have some questions for all you RSM owners. If I got either model what else would I have to buy to have a great unit? Are there mods that should be added? Buying a new aquarium will stretch my budget and I want to make sure I have...
  8. mikelam

Red Macro Algae

I purchased a LR with a little red macroalgae (Halymenia sp) on it about 6 months ago. My Flalmeback Angel ate the algae and I thought it was all gone. My angel went insane and killed most of my fish over night and it went back to the store. Now, the algae has completely covered the rock and has...
  9. mikelam

Turf Algae Mod for a BC29?

I am not real happy with my BC29's filtering capabilities and chemistry and am in the process of taking out the BioBalls. Would a turf algae mod or a refuge be better in the bioball area? Should I practice patience and see what happens when the balls are gone? Only one more water change. Thanks.
  10. mikelam

Water check help

I just got test kits, read the articles and still don't really understand what's going on with my tank. Here are the results of the tests: dKH-6, Ca-450 mg/lt, NO3- 2.5. I think the alkalinity is off a little. Do I need to supplement? I have a 29 BioCube that has been set up a little over 2...
  11. mikelam

HELP! Brown stuff on my sand!

I bought a used BioCube 29 and the previous owner left some of the sand. When I was looking at the tank , before I bought it, there were dark brown streaks on the sand. I didn't think much about it then, but now it's back (2 months). I don't think it's diatoms. It's rust brown, kind of stringy...
  12. mikelam

SpectraPure RO/DI

I just got my SpectraPure RO/DI filter unit yesterday. Hooked it up with no problems and had water flowing within 15 minutes. Everything worked perfectly and I am very happy. Great quality and really easy to set up. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.
  13. mikelam

Bak-Pak2 For Sale!

I have a Bak-Pak 2 protein skimmer for sale. I purchased it in July 09 and used it until last month. It includes the pump and blue stuff, and is in excellent condition. Please make an offer.
  14. mikelam

Bio Balls!

I have been scanning through this forum and was surprised to read the recommendation that the bio balls in a 29 Biocube be replaced. With what? I recently bought a used tank that I regret. I am finding that the nitrate levels warrant water changes in less than a week. (yes, I have cut way back...
  15. mikelam

upgrade to RSM

I would like to upgrade to an RSM but have read the reviews and am concerned about the noise. The spot where I want to put it shares a wall with our bedroom. I also want a system that I don't have to add anything (but maybe LED lights) to work. I would love to have a 250 D if it will fit. I...
  16. mikelam

RBT on the move!

I have a biocube 29 and three weeks ago I got a tank cloned RBT anemone from a friend. He has a 14 biocube and this anemone came from that tank. Day before yesterday, it just started moving around. It circled it's rock several times and went from top to bottom several times. I have 2 Ocellaris...
  17. mikelam

Hydrologic Ecospring RO Units

I have spent the day researching RO units! It's slow going as I still have dial-up. Currently, I buy the water at our local grocery store but would like something more convenient. I plan on using the water for my 29 gal. Biocube, watering my orchids and drinking. I am interested in a...
  18. mikelam

Good Morning!

I am new to the art of salt water aquariums. I have had a freshwater tank for the last 30 years. I "converted" to saltwater last June. I am completely fascinated by this wonderful new world! I have lots of questions and am looking forward to learning more about reef keeping. I tried to...