Hydrologic Ecospring RO Units

mikelam

I have spent the day researching RO units! It's slow going as I still have dial-up.
Currently, I buy the water at our local grocery store but would like something more convenient. I plan on using the water for my 29 gal. Biocube, watering my orchids and drinking. I am interested in a Hydrologic Ecospring RO unit, it is an under the sink unit that has a "filter" that adds calcium back into the water. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it sound like a good idea? Thanks for your help!

mikelam

I'm still wondering but I guess I should add that I only have mushrooms, a rose bubble tipped anemone, a devils hand coral and some zoanthids so far. I have 4 fish too. I would like to get more easy corals. I thought if you used RO water you had to add calcium back in for the corals, and I have heard it is better for you to drink RO water with the added calcium. So that system sounded good to me.
There are so many RO filters on the market, it's very frustrating.

mikelam

Thanks for both replies, you have given me some "homework". I am grateful for all the advice. It's painfully obvious that I don't know much but at least I'm enthusiastic.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mike just keep in mind we ALL started at the same place... the BEGINNING! We learn from each other and grow as a whole from that learning.

Happy Reefing :)

BobBursek

A lot of RO/DI 6 stage units add a flavoring filter to put some taste back into the water for drinking since RO/DI water for aquarium use has really no taste.
this thread sez it all and I checkeout the Spectre Pure for 145 and it is a bargain and a great unit as the AZDesertrat states.
Ro/di - Page 2
Read both pages
Ro/di

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
We use RO/DI with no "Flavoring" cartridge. When Bob said, "No taste" he's right. If it weren't WET you'd think you missed your mouth with the water :LOL:

But actually we prefer it like that because we use powder packets for most of our drinks and they mix better and taste better when the water has NO TASTE! And the ICE is better too :)

mikelam

Thanks for all your help. We finally decided on the SpectraPure RODI unit. Just ordered it yesterday. Great Sale going on right now. We ordered an extra membrane and probably should have ordered extra filters as they are half price.

OHmariner

I recently read an interesting article stating RO water was bad for human consumption, I had never heard that before. I know your questions got answered already but for my two cents....after a lot more reading I came to the conclusions of A: as BigAl said, your salt mix will fix all problems with no calcium from the water, B: For human consumption and plants, I take vitamins several times a week, I assume that should correct problems from RO water (plus regular veggies, etc) and the plants get nutrition from great soil.

I'm not an expert but I recently asked myself the same questions and came up with solid conclusions that RO water is still superior to tap water.

mikelam

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help and advice. OHmariner, I read the same article and that's what got me started wondering. I agree with your conclusions.
I just got the unit and hooked it up and had water running within 15 minutes. Wow! This Spectra-pure is great.