upgrade to RSM

mikelam

I would like to upgrade to an RSM but have read the reviews and am concerned about the noise. The spot where I want to put it shares a wall with our bedroom. I also want a system that I don't have to add anything (but maybe LED lights) to work. I would love to have a 250 D if it will fit. I currently have a 29 Biocube that I bought used.
Since you all have these systems I was hoping for opinions and help.
Thanks.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Mike - if it helps, I have ran a RSM 130D stock for over a year with great success, the 130 is more loud than a 250, from all the post I have read (it's the stock skimmer that is loud - more so on a 130 than a 250) but I don't think from what you described above that it would be any problem, I actually have a thread on DB Levels, sound is very subjective.

Hope this helps, all the best - I think you would LOVE it, I plan on getting one soon too, the RSM 250 has a better skimmer & better lights than the 130D, you can run one stock for sure with success, then upgrade any element latter if you ever want too... but you won't have to, imo.

Nowellsy SNR

Hi i ran my 250 pretty much stock for over 6 months as the tank is in my living room the noise did'nt really bother me i decided to put add on's as a personal choice the tank runs fine stock and many people having fantastic stock tanks!

austinl01

The noise isn't a problem with a skimmer upgrade. My 250 is in the living room, and I have a chiller in there too. It's not loud at all.

imaccat

Mike,

I have my 250 in the lounge, originally I had the Hydor skimmer pump and the noise was quite bad, it bothered my wife more than me. I complained to RS about it and they supplied me with the new sicce pump, but that is still breaking in so I can't comment on the what that will eventually sound like. I'm in my office at the moment which shares the lounge wall where the 250 is and I can't hear it at all.

Hope that helps

mikelam

Thanks for the input. The dbs and skimmer info were very helpful. It sounds like Rea Sea has good support as well. I'm going to go measure my wall space now.

fruit bat

Hi there, We ran a stock 130 in the living room for eighteen months before we upgraded to a 250 last month.

As far as noise is concerned neither models are a problem as far as we are concerned. The skimmer in the 130 was noticeable for the first few weeks, as is the Sicce pump in the 250. But like any constant noise it very soon becomes "invisible" as you get accustomed to it.

Noise is not a problem as far as we are concerned