Search results

1. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

Ok, maybe not millions but there are a whole ___load of them in my tank. They appeared suddenly about one month ago, a few on the tank walls, then noticed them in huge numbers by the end of the week. The only thing that I noticed happening when they came into the tank that my emerald and...
  2. Heliox

question about link n locks extension

I have seen a few RSM pictures here with extensions on the stock output adaptors at the back of the tank. I bought the articulated extension but am unsure of how to hook it onto the existing port. The extensions came without any instructions for connecting. Anyone have any ideas?
  3. Heliox

Waiter, I think there is a hare in my RSM!

So I see this blob in my tank about 6 weeks after set up. And it seemed to be cutting a fine swath through the algae collected on the back glass (very welcomed event). It had stayed out of sight for the whole 6 weeks to my surprise. Am I correct that this is a sea hare? It has been a few...
  4. Heliox

Disturbing live sand

One other question. I have great flow through my RSM with an extra hydor pumping 600gph, but I still have pockets of detrius in between the bottom of my rocks. Is it alright to 'suck up' the detrius from the top level of live sand with my 10% water changes? Knowing that I will be disturbing the...
  5. Heliox

6 weeks no significant Ammonia

I started my RSM 130d about 6 weeks ago with about 30lbs uncured tonga rocks and live sand (20lbs?). I have never had a satisfying rise in ammonia with a peak at 0.3 to maybe a .5 mg/L. I have never been able to see any Nitrites, and still testing near 0 for nitrates. Today my ammonia looks...
  6. Heliox

Not so beautiful hitch hikers, ideas?

The first one showed up as small larva on the side of the tank the first few days and week of my set up. Now there are a few of these creatures on rocks near the bottom. Perhaps 1 cm in size. Am I right in assuming they are hydra, am I right? The second picture reminded me of aptasia but I had...
  7. Heliox

Beautiful hitch hikers

I assume these beautiful blue creatures are squirts? I had 5 of them and now there are 3. Is there any way to keep them healthy? I think I read that they are near impossible to survive. They are almost etheral in their translucent blue and white winged mouths. This forum is excellent. I just...
  8. Heliox

Reverse Osmosis or steam distilled H2O?

I have been using steam distilled water from my local pharmacies for the past few years. But everyone seems to extol the virtues of reverse osmosis water. I did not think I could find any bottled reverse osmosis water, but have now realized that we fill our water cooler bottles with water...
  9. Heliox

How's it going, eh?

Hello, a Canadian, living in North America's most livable city, Vancouver (that's what is said so on the news this morning!) On my 4th set up, presently an RSM 130L (34 g). I had limited knowledge (and patience) in my first 3 Salt water aquariums from early 80s, early 90s and most recently a...