6 weeks no significant Ammonia

Heliox

I started my RSM 130d about 6 weeks ago with about 30lbs uncured tonga rocks and live sand (20lbs?). I have never had a satisfying rise in ammonia with a peak at 0.3 to maybe a .5 mg/L. I have never been able to see any Nitrites, and still testing near 0 for nitrates. Today my ammonia looks like it is 0.
My pH is the only thing that seems lowish at 7.9

I have a cleaning crew doing a bang up job on the algae (turbos, 2 emerald, 2 hermit crabs and 1 conch) but do have some croppings of plants (macroalgae?).

Everything keeps testing normal.. Am I missing something, or is it still possible my big spike in ammonia will hit?

sambrinar

Hmmm the rock was uncured? did you put anything in there to start a cycle? Like a raw shrimp.. it is possible that you haven't had a cycle yet, the problem is you have a CUC in there... Or I would add a raw deli shrimp in there..

You could add a shrimp for a few days, take it out and test every day, if the amonia is 0 in a few days, the tank is cycled, if the tank is not cycled your amonia will stay elevated. the CUC though may die, but with such a few critters, I think I would risk it... or take them out and have someone hold them, or put them in another tank and feed them Nori... Just my thoughts and ramblings :D

Heliox

Rock was definitely uncured. Smelled like some unholy mess from a manure pile.

I also have to say that I used LIVESAND by Nature's Ocean and they claimed instant cycling. Live Sand Bio-Activ Live™ Aragonite
I actually didn't believe it and thought it would just expedite things, but not eliminate the process.
Have you or anyone else ever heard of a 'no-cycle' constituent like this being successful?

I might just try the shrimp to see for sure if the aquarium has cycled.
Thanks heaps for the feedback.

novanosis

If you are using a protein skimmer, I hear that it can stop the peak. You should really run the skimmer after you see a good PEAK.

Heliox

If you are using a protein skimmer, I hear that it can stop the peak. You should really run the skimmer after you see a good PEAK.

Really? I did not know that. I had it running and producing quite a bit of sludge since day 1. Damn.

try in a couple of deli shrimp. the cycle has to feed on something or it won't happen

Wouldn't the decaying uncured live rock have provided the feed for a cycle? But think I will try the shrimp to see if I can get a spike in numbers.

This is great stuff, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

sambrinar

I don't agree with this at all. I used my skimmer during my cycle, it didn't interfere with the cycle at all... actually if you have critters in the tank they say (whom ever they are) to run the skimmer to help prevent their demise

sambrinar

Wouldn't the decaying uncured live rock have provided the feed for a cycle? But think I will try the shrimp to see if I can get a spike in numbers.

This is great stuff, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

It will but it will be a very slow start, and a very long cycle... that is why we use the deli shrimp to speed it along

I don't agree with this at all. I used my skimmer during my cycle, it didn't interfere with the cycle at all... actually if you have critters in the tank they say (whom ever they are) to run the skimmer to help prevent their demise

novanosis

Well if you want to save your precious hitchhickers then go right ahead skim your heart away. For me I am going with dead rock and sand. Best I heard is let that tank stew in ammonia. This is what I read and is my opinion.

But she is right, so do what you think s best.