Search results

1. M

Thinking of selling RSM 130D, Columbia, SC area

I'm thinking of selling my RSM 130D tank. The tank is a little over 2 1/2 years old, in excellent condition and everything in the tank is thriving, it is just getting to be too much for an old lady like me. So, if you know of anyone in the Columbia, SC area who is contemplating buying a RSM 130D...
  2. M

Thinking of selling RSM 130D, Columbia, SC area

I'm thinking of selling my RSM 130D tank. The tank is a little over 2 1/2 years old, in excellent condition and everything in the tank is thriving, it is just getting to be too much for an old lady like me. So, if you know of anyone in the Columbia, SC area who is contemplating buying a RSM...
  3. M

Cloudy water/Deflating Anemones

Last night I looked at my tank (RSM130D) and noticed that the water was extremely cloudy. I saw that both of my Anemones had deflated. I did a water change and added carbon. Both of the Anemones look fine today. My question is this: Did the water get cloudy because of the Anemones deflating...
  4. M

A few pics - RSM 15 months old

Full Tank (forgot to turn off the flash): And a few miscellanous ones:
  5. M

Rod's Food - dumb question

How to you feed frozen Rod's Food? I've heard that you should not rinse it, but do you thaw it? Or just float a chunk? When I received the food today, I broke off a dime sized piece and floated it while still frozen. I figured that as it thawed the fish would nibble at it. Well, my female...
  6. M

RSM 130D - ? about the hood cooling vent

Does anyone know how many cooling fans are in the RSM 130D hood? Is it one or two? (I don't mean the cooling fan at the back of the tank, I mean the fans that are built into the hood.) This seems like a silly question, but if there is more than one fan in the hood, how can I tell if they...
  7. M

B&W Clown obsessed with anemone

One of my Black and White Clowns has been hosting my BTA - snuggling down and even bringing food to the anemone. At first I wondered how people ever get pictures of their clown hosting their anemones because every time I walked into the room she would leave the anemone to come see if I was...
  8. M

What is this?

Can anyone identify this? It came in on a piece of live rock about 6 months ago. (it is at the top right, and my YWG is below it.) At first it looked a lot like the smaller thing on the bottom left (majano?), but it has developed accordion-like ridges, and the color has changed. It is about...
  9. M

What is eating my Red Fire Shrimp?

I had a Red Fire Shrimp in my tank for about 7 months, then it disappeared without a trace. (I don't think it just molted because usually when they molt I see the traces of the old shell in the tank.) A month went by and I saw absolutely no signs of the shrimp. I purchased another Red...
  10. M

Foam Cover for VorTech MP20

Recently, my serpent starfish had a fatal encounter with my VorTech MP20. I did not have the foam cover on the powerhead. Since then, I have put the foam cover on in anticipation of getting a new starfish (I would also like to get an anemone in the future). This foam cover gets VERY dirty, VERY...
  11. M

Foam Cover for VorTech MP20

Recently, my serpent starfish had a fatal encounter with my VorTech MP20. I did not have the foam cover on the powerhead. Since then, I have put the foam cover on in anticipation of getting a new starfish (I would also like to get an anemone in the future). This foam cover gets VERY dirty...
  12. M

Aggressive Female False Percula Clown

My female clown is being a "you-know-what" (begins with a "b"). She is tormenting the male clown relentlessly, and his fins have several nips, and he is hiding out in the live rock more than he has ever done. I have captured her and put her in my quarantine tank till she settles down, and...
  13. M

Magnesium too high?

These are my current water parameters: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate = zero SG = 1.025 PH = 8.0 KH = 7.0 Calc = 435 Mag - 1380 I use Salifert test kits. I am a little confused about the Mag test - Instructions says one spoon of the powder, but is that a level spoon? or not...
  14. M

Leather Toadstool

I recently purchased a Leather Toadstool Coral (long polyp). I put it at the bottom of the tank for about one week, then moved it up about half way. It seems that when it was at the bottom the polyps were extending, and now that I moved it up closer to the light I don't see the polyps. My...
  15. M

Goodbye RSM Heater!!!!

Well my RSM heater was making me a nervous wreck. Most of the time the heater would not turn on, but when it did, it would stay on for hours raising the temp by at least 3 degrees. I got up the other morning at 6:30 and my tank was up to 80.6 degrees. I kept waiting for the heater to turn...
  16. M

Balanced?

I used my new Salifert Test Kits today, and wonder about the results: SG - 1.024 Temp - 78.3 NH3 - 0 NO2 - 0.05 NO3 - 2.5 PH - 8.0 KH - 8 dKH, 2.86 mg Magnesium - 1125 Calcium - 400 Phosphate - 0 Strontium - 10 mg/l Iodine - Iodide = 0.01 and Iodate/iodine = <0.03 I see that the...
  17. M

Plating Montipora

I received two new coral frags today - both are plating montipora, one green and one orange. The orange one has excuded a some slimy/thready stuff, and the color does not seem as bright as when I first put them in the tank. I drip acclimated them for 2 hours. Is this normal? Might it...
  18. M

dosing/additives

I have a new tank (setup on 11/17/08) and I have not yet had to dose any chemicals. However, I know that it is time to start raising my alkalinity (7dKH) and my calcium (slowly dropping to 395). My question is this: Should I increase my alkalinity first and get it up higher, and then...
  19. M

My Clown has a red spot/pimple

My Clown has a red spot on his chin. The spot looks just like a pimple, with red around the edge, and a white spot in the middle. He is eating well and acting normally. Tank info: 34 gallon, containing only two Clownfish, clean-up-crew, and a few corals. Tank has been set up since...
  20. M

Attaching frag plugs to live rock

I have some very small coral frags (some are on plugs and some are on small pieces of rock) which I need to attach in various places onto my live rock. (I am tired of the crabs and snails knocking them over). How do I go about this? I have heard that Super Glue Gel works underwater, but do...