Plating Montipora

mzreenie

I received two new coral frags today - both are plating montipora, one green and one orange. The orange one has excuded a some slimy/thready stuff, and the color does not seem as bright as when I first put them in the tank. I drip acclimated them for 2 hours.

Is this normal? Might it look better tomorrow?

I put them at the bottom of the tank for now, and figured that tomorrow, or in a few days, I would move them closer to the light. Any suggestions?

Luukosian

Sounds like a good plan, put them in some decent flow so they can shed that slime away and they should color back up.

mzreenie

Re: Plating Montipora - HELP

It is not looking good - there are starting to be small areas of pure white - Is it dying?

reefer4200

it sounds like it is bleaching...pics would be helpfull. what kind of lights? tell us about your set-up and water quality...

mzreenie

I have a RSM 130D, 34 gallon aquarium, with T5 lights.

Salinity - 1.024
Temp - 79.3
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0.05
NO3 - 2.5
PH - 8.3
Alk - 8 dKH
Calc - 410
Mag - >1280

Tank lights just went off so can't take a picture unless I turn them back on.

Stacef

On Montis you can not touch the "colored or top" side of the monti, whatever reason, the oils from your skin or another reason I am unsure. But this does bleach them. I had a purple monti that bleached in the middle of it, and now abut a month later it has grown over the bleached part.

Best of luck to you.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Is your tank ready for this?

It's still awfully new for SPS corals. Hopefully you haven't gotten ahead of your tank.

Good luck.

mzreenie

I tried not to touch it, but maybe the darn gloves did. Why can't they make gloves for small hands!!

I hope it recovers - I really like this type of coral. I'm hoping that I see improvement in the morning.

Thanks