Search results

1. CAT

who keeps gorgonians

I have a purple whip and a purple plume. Both are photosynthetic (brown polyps instead of white or another color) and easy to keep - they just need decent light and good flow. I really like the different textures they add to a tank.
  2. CAT

Fox Coral

I agree with Travis. Any damage or missing flesh and the coral will just keep on declining. If you get a really healthy one, they're easy to keep. Beautiful coral, I'm waiting to find a really nice one.
  3. CAT

I wanna see full tank shots!

This is my new 'miracle' tank. It survived a 1000+ mile move (2 days driving) then a 40 hour power outage in freezing weather only one month later. Who says marine critters are sissys :D
  4. New tank November 2004

New tank November 2004

40 gal Oceanic stretch hex with 15 gal fuge. Lps and softies.
  5. CAT

Favorite way to remove organics

I've used matrix carbon for a long time. Seems to work well though I'd be interested in your results if you get a chance to test it, Kurt. Seachem makes high claims for this product, hope they're true. http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/MatrixCarbon.html
  6. CAT

Favorite way to remove organics

Love my refugium - made a huge difference to the water quality in my tank when I hooked it up. Also, 10% water changes every 2 weeks, with light syphoning, helps as well.
  7. CAT

pH of saltwater vs freshwater

I would check with the company to see if it makes a difference. I think most fw and sw test kits are different kits.
  8. CAT

Not Anthelia....

Glad you solved the puzzle. I remember answering that post as well -- Pretty hard to tell until the stalk grew ;)
  9. CAT

Help from Cleaner Shrimp keepers?

I've had my fire shrimp for about 3 1/2 years. I target feed every day. I've seen that shrimp polish off a dead chromis in about an hour- they're big eaters. hth
  10. CAT

Need Help/out Of Ideas

I think you can probably get the overhaul done in a day if everything is ready to go before you start. Lots of rubbermaid tubs, lots of new water, save what old water you can. Sounds like your 1 1/2 inch sandbed did it's job for you for a long time, if you like it just do it again ;) Just...
  11. CAT

Very funny

Ya gonna read this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4146756343&category=63851
  12. CAT

This is pretty interesting - Well, at least it is to me!

I got it as a gift but I'm sure Amazon has it. Neat collection though I didn't like the "Polar Seas" one... Those dang polar bears were really nasty with the beluga whales trapped in the ice... :eek: The rest of the set is very good - amazing underwater photography.
  13. CAT

This is pretty interesting - Well, at least it is to me!

I got the DVD collection of 'The blue Planet" for christmas. It has a segment on 'The Deep' with those same critters - nasty. :eek:
  14. CAT

Kick Ich medication opinions needed!

Actually, I found that ich can be really weird sometimes. Even if ich is in the tank, it doesn't mean the other fish will get it if they're healthy. When my new gramma fought ich for almost 2 months, none of the other fish got it - not even one speck. I had a hippo tang in my old tank a few...
  15. CAT

Kick Ich medication opinions needed!

I tried it in my reef because I couldn't catch the gramma that had ich. Didn't seem to harm anything, but it didn't work either. I didn't find garlic did much except make my tank kinds smelly... :rolleyes: Give the tang a chance to fight it off by itself and soak the food with a supplement...
  16. CAT

Need Help/out Of Ideas

If the sandbed is 10 yrs old, I'd say it was time to replace it :( I would expect that lots of stuff has collected in there. I just tore out my 5" sandbed and if you're organized, it's a pita but very doable. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  17. CAT

65w daylight vs 65w actinic, do corals care?

Hi Nigle. The tank is a 28 gal bowfront. What I meant was that I switched the daylight bulb for a 50/50. So now I have one 50/50 and one actinic on the tank -- both bulbs are still 65watts so I was just wondering if the lps and softies care whether the bulbs are actinic or daylight if the...
  18. CAT

Advice

There are some really good books out there... "Concienscious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is a good place to start. Good luck
  19. CAT

65w daylight vs 65w actinic, do corals care?

I was very disappointed a couple of months ago when I bought some really nice colored rics and polyps that looked great at the lfs and faded (immediately) when I put them in my tank. I knew that my lighting was the problem - I have pc's on my tank, 1 65w 10,000k daylight and 1 65w actinic...
  20. CAT

Do Anthelia pulse?

Yep, that's what mine does... Clavularia it is :) No wonder it reminded me of my star polyps. Edge, I have 2 types of xenia, one with long polyps that pulses slightly in one tank, and a red sea one (short polyps) that pulses all the time in another tank. The flow in both tanks is low to...