Help from Cleaner Shrimp keepers?

TomV

I just picked up the long-awaited cleaner shrimp. So, tell me about them. I read a lot of websites about them, but tell me YOUR experiences. What should I look for in behavior? Do they constantly clean off their antennae like mine is doing? What is healthy behavior? What is not healthy behavior? How can I keep this little guy happy?

TIA!

sarah

Hi Tom glade you got you cleaner shrimp, they are cool to watch.
I have one and he always cleaning his antennae and his body.
They are a very busy shrimp, they will clean everying in your tank including your hand when you put it in.
Dont worry if he disappers behind your LR he could be sheading, mine does it about once a month. They will also eat anything {mine does anyway}. Good luck with him

Sarah xxx

Xanareef

The antenae cleaning is normal so far as I can tell. My pair does it constantly.

The only thing I'd caution you about is if you target feed corals and the like. My cleaners will very brazenly walk over and pull food out of the coral's little mouth the second I'm an arm's length away from the tank.

Overall I like 'em.

Alexis

TomV

I just put a tiny bit of food in for my clown and some drifted to the bottom. The cleaner POUNCED on it and ate away merrily!!

So, I guess thats a sign that it likes the tank if it's eating well!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Doesn't seem like your cleaner has anything to worry about....I ahve had mine for like 3 months and he is pretty much self sufficient.....I target feed him about once a week though.

CAT

I've had my fire shrimp for about 3 1/2 years. I target feed every day. I've seen that shrimp polish off a dead chromis in about an hour- they're big eaters.

hth

TomV

Well, every time I feed, the shrimp heads straight for the food at full speed! It definitely loves to eat! :)

Any chance I could have one of those in my FO tank. Huma trigger and purple tang are the predominate inhabitants. Im worried about the trigger as hes very inquisitive but if nature tells him its a good thing will he leave it alone? Any experiences here before I kill a nice shrimp unnecessarily ?

ReefLady

Staff member
Love my cleaner shrimps. They are very bold feeders, LOL no problems there. If you find what looks like a carcass one morning, don't fret, the shrimp has probably just shedded and will reappear soon looking brighter than ever.

Careful if you're dosing iodine, there's some evidence that too much can be pretty bad for shrimps. Also, keep in mind their life span is only about 1-1.5 years. So enjoy it while it's there, but know they're not especially long-lived.

One of my favorite reef animals by far, good choice, I know you'll enjoy it!

Travis