Recent content by mikelam

1. mikelam

BC 29 Disaster! Help!

Thanks for all the help! Sadly, I decided to take all the occupants of my tank to our local pet store and trade them away. I couldn't find a replacement tank or a babysitter for the critters. I have to stick with a small tank because theres no room for a larger one. Not many options as I live...
  2. mikelam

BC 29 Disaster! Help!

Thanks, I'll give them a call.
  3. mikelam

BC 29 Disaster! Help!

Thanks, for the help. My tank is an ice chest right now and looks a lot like yours islandboy, except I forgot to put a towel down first. I have spent the last hour internet shopping for a new tank! This is no fun!
  4. mikelam

BC 29 Disaster! Help!

I'm not sure that this is the right forum for this but since there isn't one for disasters I'll post here. Yesterday, we spent the day in our nearest large city (3 hour drive) and came home exhausted, only to find that the side of my BC 29 had a huge crack in it. The crack went from where the...
  5. mikelam

Tap water or RO water

I use RO/DI and love it. My tanks were a mess before, excess algae was a big problem. With the RO/DI and a good salt mix, you have total control. It won't eliminate some problems but at least you have a good foundation to work from. Coffee and tea also taste way better with the filtered water!
  6. mikelam

Removing an anemone

Thanks for noticing. I was desperate and I'm afraid my original post asking for help must have been a little too "cute", because no one responded.
  7. mikelam

Removing an anemone

Since no one had any suggestions about how to get my nem off the back glass of the tank, I did it on my own and would like to offer help to anyone else that is in the same situation. My nem got huge and began stinging the mushrooms that were to close to it. I was unable to move them as they...
  8. mikelam

Mind reading Nem

I'm the person that has posted before with tales of my wandering nem. Now, I have a new issue with the old nem. I finally decided that all that wandering was too disruptive for my tank and the next time it wandered I was going to take it to the LFS and trade it in. That was three months ago. It...
  9. mikelam

sad anemones

My nem definitely has preferences. It will either "sulk" or move around when the lights degrade or the water flow doesn't suit it. But, it is a great indicator of water quality for me. It rules the tank! Do your blue lights come on at the same time the others come on or do they turn on and off...
  10. mikelam

sad anemones

Welcome! My RBTA does that when I need to change the water. After the water change it's fine. Good luck.
  11. mikelam

Tank shots using my new lens

Very nice. I'm trying to learn how to take pics with my digital camera and some times it just won't work!
  12. Going for a ride!

Going for a ride!

What do you do if you're a mushroom looking for adventure? You hitch a ride on a snail of course! These guys have been cruising around my aquarium for a few days now.
  13. mikelam

to get an anemone or not?

I would leave the mesh nets on the power heads, just in case it does take a walk. There is an old post with pics of a nem damaged by a power head, yuk! Good luck, nems are so interesting.
  14. mikelam

bio balls

I took the bioballs out of my tank (gradually), and I am very happy with the results. The water is virtually clear of NO3, which was a big problem before. Running the tank with nothing in the chambers was a little noisy so my husband built a water ladder out of plexiglass that took care of the...
  15. mikelam

Red Sea Max 130 = any good?

Sounds like a great deal, just make sure everything is in good shape. I bought a used Biocube 29. Got a great deal. When I set it up, there were scratches in the glass, the hood was cracked and the stand was all dented. Now all those things bug me and I will eventually buy a new system. I...